Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The
Not impossible but that seems unlikely without any other moves.

I'm thinking it's going to be

1. Tanev,
2. Either a top 4 D or good 3C. Maybe Henrique or Dillon tier rather then Montour or Pesce tier.
3. Stolarz/Cheap goalie

When I look at the cap, that extra 500 k- 1 m overpayment to Liljegren really hurts a lot.
Lily signing shocked me.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Let's hope the rumors aren't true that they're looking to extend Marner.

just saw this on twitter and am already fuming even if it just rumour LMAO :laugh:

1719855526484.png

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Barely over 1m left after Dewar. UFA window is closed unless they trade Kampf or Järnkrok which is probably not happening.

You do know that we can go over the cap by 10% in the offseason. They can sign a few players and move guys or bury guys in the minors to be cap compliant. I’d expect a few cheap signings tomorrow. Still also the possibility of a Marner trade

Reactions: Jojalu

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Wasn't happy with the Tanev/OEL deals earlier in the day, but as the day goes along it looks a little bit better............ A little better. Some awful deals being handed out.

Still not a fan of the term or dollar value. Thought the extra years would bring it down.

Like both the Domi/Stolarz

Im warming to most of the deals. The only piece that makes me nervous is the 3c spot unless they believe Minten or someone internally can handle that.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What's this based on?

Who do you feel the Leafs missed out in because they simply didn't want to come to Toronto?

I’ve been listening to Kipper and Borne all day to and Kipper said that players talk to one another and the scrutiny players face in Toronto and Vancouver has turned a lot of players off from those markets. He said a lot of players just rather not play there. So it’s definitely a thing even though HF Boards people claim it’s not.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Exac
Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
Ekman-Larsson - Benoit

Woll - Stolarz

Is it an upgrade over last year? I’d say it’s a slight improvement but nothing crazy. A little disappointed overall as I was hoping for more impactful changes but I guess it takes two to tangle and clearly Toronto isn’t a very appealing destination anymore.
Exactly. Toronto is not a preferred destination. Tre panicked when he realized it. They really thought Lily would get $3 million in arbitration?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Let's hope the rumors aren't true that they're looking to extend Marner.
Be careful what you ask for. I have said it a thousand times. It's Tavares's contract that is killing them. This team's forward depth looks pretty bad if you use the majority of the Marner money on the back end at this point (Petro or Theo). They have very little to trade and there isn't much scoring help left in UFA.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
To
I’ve been listening to Kipper and Borne all day to and Kipper said that players talk to one another and the scrutiny players face in Toronto and Vancouver has turned a lot of players off from those markets. He said a lot of players just rather not play there. So it’s definitely a thing even though HF Boards people claim it’s not.
Toronto is a gong show. If you aren't a huge Leaf fan why would you go there?

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Bostons D is wayyy stronger than ours. The size on that blueline
Is insane.. we got... OEL and Lilly two of the softest Dmen 😂
Sucks we have to overpay for everyone because of the cost of living and taxes

Reactions: OVO16

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This is such BS...how come Boston and New York don't figure in? They have high taxes like Toronto, and I think New York is even higher.
Because it has always been inaccurate. Tax lawyers can structure to defer taxes in a manner that results in getting players in "normal" tax jurisdictions (i.e., Canada, California, New York, Mass, Colorado, etc.) to basically the same place on an after-tax basis as players in low-tax jurisdictions. It's why you never hear about this being an issue in any other North American professional sport.

Reactions: BTO and Superstar

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Kypreos is an absolute goof, you can disregard almost anything he says.

Do players not face scrutiny in Montreal, New York, Boston etc. etc.

Toronto is still a sought after destination.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Im warming to most of the deals. The only piece that makes me nervous is the 3c spot unless they believe Minten or someone internally can handle that.

Domi did well to spot in that role. I'd expect Minten to probably make a play. Holmberg is vanilla a bit but he could take a bigger step next season. Quillan as a darkhorse.

With that said, I agree. The Leafs probably need to make a trade or find a way to add a center and a top 9 LW to replace Bertuzzi and a departing Robertson.

Reactions: aingefan

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Six built in excuses for the Leafs to never exit the first round. Not even like they're that good but the adversity represented there are just perfect reasons for the Leafs big water pistols to no show the rest of the 2020s.

ohhh watch out....

@RomanianLeafs is about to tell you to not watch the Leafs next season because you don't bendover to the MLSE and Leafs Management

;)

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
So it appears our offense that couldn't muster up 2 goals in a game come playoff time has now actually somehow gotten worse.

They're running it back with Gio, Brodie replaced with Tanev and OEL, Samsonov swapped airh Stol & Bertuzzi swapped with some bargain basket garbage.

Same loser core for the 8th year in a row....this is genuinely a f***ing nightmare, Brad is a gutless coward.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
To

Toronto is a gong show. If you aren't a huge Leaf fan why would you go there?

Couldn’t agree more. He referenced Pesce and O’Reilly said, both guys just did not want to be in the spotlight. That’s not who they are and they had no interest in being in a spot like Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad