Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Like if we look around the division....Boston and Tampa have both improved considerably over last season. Ottawa has got Ullmark now, Detroit was right there last year. I am not saying we are going to fall out of the playoffs....but with the way we are spending our money? I just won't be shocked is all lol

How has Boston improved? Nothing has happened for them yet? Am I forgetting something? They needed help up front and so far just seem poised to lose Debrusk.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The OEL signing should be Kylington.

Younger, cheaper, still a bit of upside.

More risk. We don't want risk we want guys we know can do a job which is an obvious theme. They are balancing out relying on so many kids in Woll, Liljegren, Knies, McMann, etc on their success with proven vets

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Bunting wasn't good at all, punted in the first year of his contract. Orlov has been terrible, term was a luck draw for them. If they want to replace the players the let walk this season, it's going to cost them a lot more than you think. If they say no to a lot of players, they will not be very good. We'll see what they do.
Bunting was absolutely a fine gamble. Always had strong underlying numbers. Always had good production. They punted him in a move for Guentzel. Hardly a contract dump. Orlov wasn't bad last year, his underlying numbers were very good. I'm not sure why you call that contract luck?

Either way - they have a ton of cap room this summer. It'll be interesting to see where they spend it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Also Tampa has not improved either.
Guentzel probably isn’t providing more than Stamkos did last year for them based on his history, and to make it happen they had to dump Sergachev. They added McD but he’s regressed since he was last in Tampa

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
More risk. We don't want risk we want guys we know can do a job which is an obvious theme. They are balancing out relying on so many kids in Woll, Liljegren, Knies, McMann, etc on their success with proven vets
More risk than $4m 3rd pairing D?

Also, Woll is 26, McMann is 27, Lilly is 25, they're not rookies. This isn't Marleau helping a teenaged Matthews and Marner out.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
OEL signing for that contract had better be a joke. I think apathy might soon start setting in with this fan base. Running it back year after year, and making worse decisions around the margins.

I was okay with moving on from Dinas, but Treliving is giving me major Nonis vibes. Over pay after overpay after overpay.

Nightmare.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
More risk than $4m 3rd pairing D?

You think he is going from top pair guy last month to 3rd pair in 3 months? No, most likely we get 1.5 years of that level of play.

So 2 years into the deal, a #5 dman will be signing for ~4M, maybe more in UFA. Then eventually he can't put skates on anymore and litretires

Reactions: Sypher04

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bunting was absolutely a fine gamble. Always had strong underlying numbers. Always had good production. They punted him in a move for Guentzel. Hardly a contract dump. Orlov wasn't bad last year, his underlying numbers were very good. I'm not sure why you call that contract luck?

Either way - they have a ton of cap room this summer. It'll be interesting to see where they spend it.

I'm just saying they aren't adverse to bad deals or perfect in targetting players on good deals. They flunk out many times and they will need to do a lot of work in free agency to replace what they're losing.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Looking on the bright side here, we may simultaneously be adding from the Cup champs while detracting from a divisional rival (if signing OEL and Stolarz).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad