Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Leafs are either really shit at negotiations, the tax thing is more important than certain agents and media people let on, or our stars are uniquely selfish and have no care for anything except maxing out their earnings. Or hell it’s all three.
Brisbois released a statement today explaining how the Florida teams take advantage of the taxes there. It is a huge selling point.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Elliotte is a legit insider. The fact he's reporting we're going hard for OEL is very concerning.

Tre already overpaid Liljegren, he made the Klingberg mistake last year. OEL at 2.0-2.5 might be fine. But 4.0 would be insane. Especially when we need a real #4 D and a #2/3 C.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Brisbois released a statement today explaining how the Florida teams take advantage of the taxes there. It is a huge selling point.
Uh, he certainly didn't seem to use any advantage on that Guentzel contract. It will likely be the worst contract signed today.

Reactions: francis246

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Like Tanev, don't like the rumoured cost or term
Like OEL, don't like the rumoured cost or term

Feels like we missed the boat on OEL last year and are now trying to catch up on it

Reactions: weems

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If they're targeting Oliver Ekman-Larsson, you might as well pick up his D partner Dmitry Kulikov as well, then dump Lily.

Rielly Tanev
Benoit McCabe
OEL Kulikov

Dump our pretty solid RHD for another castaway LHD. Not sure I understand the strategy.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
OEL wasnt bad but yeah 4AAV is crazy

I'll wait to see whats finalized but yeah its not looking good

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
No state tax is truly a huge advantage. If everyone takes 15 to 20% less than what they would get in a taxed state, at 15% that's another 12.5 million dollar player

Reactions: Jojalu

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'm not even sure the Leafs will have any money for forwards after they sign who they are rumoured to be signing on defense.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Uh, he certainly didn't seem to use any advantage on that Guentzel contract. It will likely be the worst contract signed today.
9 million is not all that horrible. Guentzal has been pretty consistent.

Plus in 7 years, who knows what the cap will be.

TB has had a soft reboot and done a pretty damn good job so far.

9 million in 7 years will likely be leas than 8% of the cap and Guentzal won't be horrible

Reactions: stickty111

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If they're targeting Oliver Ekman-Larsson, you might as well pick up his D partner Dmitry Kulikov as well, then dump Lily.

Rielly Tanev
Benoit McCabe
OEL Kulikov
With respect to McCabe, he's best as 3rd pair or with a good RD on the 2nd.

That's 4 out of 6 D who are 3rd pair guys...

I'm not even sure that's good enough to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Americanadian

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'm not even sure the Leafs will have any money for forwards after they sign who they are rumoured to be signing on defense.
If they sign OEL and Tanev for their respective amounts, they'll have roughly $4m for a goaltender and a couple of depth forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad