Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He's going to cash in pretty well. Not sure how I feel about that one because goaltenders are voodoo.

Leafs are also reportedly extending Woll around 3M to 4M. So that's a lot of money on 2 guys without a long track record. But all they need is one homerun between the 2, or maybe both play very well.
Woll deals will kick in 2025-2026 season.

It is a good gamble and if both are good, it will be like the Bruins tandem except cheaper.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marchessault is turning 34 and he has a much lower career point per game then Marner in the playoffs. You would expect 1-2 good years before a potential decline, no thanks.
He scored 40 goals last season and got a Conn Symthe the year before that.
Do think he is a late bloomer.

Would have him over MM any day esp on the Leafs, a team that lacks his alpha mentality.

Reactions: BM14

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He scored 40 goals last season and got a Conn Symthe the year before that.
Do think he is a late bloomer.

Would have him over MM any day esp on the Leafs, a team that lacks his alpha mentality.
I would agree with you that he has more of that alpha mentality but moving off of a 27 yo for a 34 yo who might only have 1-2 good years left scares me a bit.

I'm ok to move off of Marner but it needs to be for a Robert Thomas, Jake Guentzel type. Not an older player IMO unless it's a super short term deal.

I'm looking at:

X-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Dewar(1.35M)-Reaves

Rielly-Tanev(4.5M)
McCabe-X
Benoit-Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz(2.75M)

This roster costs 80.15M and you have 7.85M to fill 1/2LW and 2RD. Tough ask. It makes a ton of sense to go after Desharnais at ~1.2M and move Liljegren giving them 9.65M to fill those 2 spots. This assumes Timmins is waived, Kampf and Robertson are traded for non-roster players.
If we miss on Roy/Pesce (or don't have enough cap) I think Edmundson at 2.5-3 million and Forbort at 1.35 would be a decent pivot. Still hoping for one of Roy/Pesce but with the Liljegren over pay it looks more unlikely.

Rielly-Tanev
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren
Forbort

Woll
Stolarz

Last edited:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
If by some miracle Mitch waives to go somewhere, I wonder if there's a deal to be made with Vegas or NYR for Pietrangelo or Trouba respectively. Obviously a big + to take on Trouba.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
If by some miracle Mitch waives to go somewhere, I wonder if there's a deal to be made with Vegas or NYR for Pietrangelo or Trouba respectively. Obviously a big + to take on Trouba.
Pietro

Or

Marner ++ for Shesty as he’s asking for $12M+. Rags will not get a better offer.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
New Idea

(If Marner waives)

1. Trade Marner for Travis Konecny
2. Use the additional cap for Monahan and Pesce.

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Konecny
Knies--Monahan-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Pesce
Benoit-Liljegren

That's about as a complete of a team as you will find in the NHL and the $$ work.

I'm also interested in Roy if Pesce isn't interested in Toronto or he's too expensive.

huih.png

Last edited:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Running a Woll-Stolarz tandem is pretty gross. Between the two of them they haven't played more than 30 games in a season the last three years. And we're going to be paying this pair $7-8m combined? Holy f***.

This is going to end poorly.

Edit: Forgot Woll is still cheap this coming season. Not a great look next year though.

Last edited:

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
I look at the scenario of walking marner into free agency. We can use his 12 mil + 4 mil (from cap increase) to sign a 2nd-line center and a top defenceman (e.g., potentially Buchnevich/Sam Bennett/Brock Nelson and Theodore/Chychrun/Pionk).

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 12.40.50 AM.png

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
I look at the scenario of walking marner into free agency. We can use his 12 mil + 4 mil (from cap increase) to sign a 2nd-line center and a top defenceman (e.g., potentially Buchnevich/Sam Bennett/Brock Nelson and Theodore/Chychrun/Pionk).

View attachment 890420
I didn’t think it was possible to pace for less goals than Marner in the playoffs. Buch has 1 goal in 20 games lol. But I’m totally with you we can just spread the talent so much better even if we are paying UFAs

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Don't be surprised if after we sign Tanev, that they go cheap on the 2nd D, i.e Boosh, and they take a big run at a big 3C like Monahan, Stephenson or Henrique. May need to clear Kampf or Jarnkrok for such a deal though.

uih.png

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'm not overly concerned about Bertuzzi, as there are plenty of other UFA forward options plus several prospects who are almost NHL ready.

D is the concern, as the options are drying up.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Happy 🇨🇦 day folks.
Defence and goalie post:
With Weekes suggesting a deal is done with Tanev - term/aav not clear, that’s mostly good. Lili locked up is good. 5/6 there.
I was remembering posters suggesting ‘just sign 3 of the top 8’ and thinking there’s 32 teams, 1 would be good work, two would be fortunate. And many are already signed, with some others earmarked for other teams
I’ve been trying to talk myself into Zadorov. I see some pluses: his personality wouldn’t seem overwhelmed here, he’d give good quotes, pretty fearless, imposing along the boards and infront of the net, big shot, seems healthy and fit to play more minutes, was a playoff beast this year and there’s a chance he’s blooming late? I could see him pairing with Lili mostly well. Cons: the money might be lots, maybe he’s not blooming and his playoff performance was the blip, not the best puckmover, keeps McCabe on his off-side. Over five Aav seems a stretch, but maybe.
Others? Roy isn’t actually off the board yet.
Backup plans? I’m really intrigued by Boqvist for 1-2 years. That puts a puck mover on each pair, kids still got upside. Could be a pp option, as could Lili.
The OEL link also keeps McCabe on the right, adds a pp option and another puck mover. Perk with these two is lower cost.
Nate Schmidt might be an idea for a year or two. Brendan Dillon same thing. How about Troy Stecher for a year. Probably a good fot beside Benny. Desharnais would be in that mix too.
Gustav Lidstrom and Jake Bean are sleepers, maybe Lundqvist.
Maybe Fabbro, Jensen or Ruuta come cheap on the trade market.
In the end, Boqvist would be my favourite choice, two years around 3mil?
Goalies: no change, any of Stolarz, Brossoit, Lankinen, Talbot or Driedger are good enough fits to win lots of games on this team. Ideally a 2-3 year term , at sub3 AAV. I wonder if Carter Hart gets in the conversation. One bad year, four others pretty consistent at 907sv%.
My fave is Driedger. Best bet to handle a bigger workload well. 2/3years at 2.5?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad