Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Snarkiness aside, it’s a valid point though, a doctor wouldn’t be sharing this detail with your friend, and it sounds like you are passing it off as solid information.

I suppose Josh can be talking and that info is being passed, but that would be second hand information prone to being misconstrued, especially when passed by non-clinically trained individuals.
It’s not that hard to figure out that your shoulder will never be the same after one surgery, let alone three.

For a player that’s already soft on the ice he’ll probably become even softer. His shot is his best tool and that will probably be effected.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Again its good to be optimistic, but Norris really took a long time before he really started to engage and he was only just starting when he reinjured the shoulder. We can only speculate on why that was (pain, discomfort, confidence) but .. Its hard to have solid faith in him rebounding to his top form. Sens have invested in him they'll want him to be a top 6 contributor and they will want him to compete hard. We don't have room for soft perimeter players making 8m per.

I don’t think this is true or fair to Norris - he was the one forward who really played Martin’s style hard and sacrificed offense for depense and really I think was trying to be an example of how they had to play to win.

I’m a big Norris fan and all this smart talk about him will be dumb talk when he comes back and plays well for us, hits and takes hits and scores goals.

One of the main reasons fans think he looked weird is because he was used completely out of position on the PP where we fell in love with him.

StutzlesNumber1Fan

Jun 19, 2024
I think Norris should move over and be a winger for Timmy. Giroux and Norris can still take faceoffs, but Norris getting one timers or getting set up by Timmy or Giroux seems like best case for the guy to bounce back.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Retire? Lol. He’s not retiring.

The team should take a wait and see approach with him post surgery and provide him all the support he needs to get back to form.

It really is not only that simple, but the right thing to do.
By "right thing to do" do you mean "smart asset management"?

Hope so, rather than just supporting him in his recovery for loyalty or sentimental reasons.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He really needs to get back to 30g form this season, and without delay. It sucks that we need that from someone trying to transition back from an injury, but we don't have the luxury of patience.

Like we don't have to resort to a PLD for Keumper trade, but if Norris doesn't produce and we can get other pieces for him with shorter aav term, gotta pull the trigger.

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
Hoping for big things from Norris this season. Still maybe my favorite forward. The only forward of our core that didn't need to be taught a 200 ft game. He certainly looked uncomfortable last season but I think in his best year, some of you are forgetting how complete of a player he was. A good example that hard hits and rough in the corners is not the only way to be good defensively. I see him benefitting a lot from green's coaching.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hoping for big things from Norris this season. Still maybe my favorite forward. The only forward of our core that didn't need to be taught a 200 ft game. He certainly looked uncomfortable last season but I think in his best year, some of you are forgetting how complete of a player he was. A good example that hard hits and rough in the corners is not the only way to be good defensively. I see him benefitting a lot from green's coaching.
Everyone had their fingers crossed. Including him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
By "right thing to do" do you mean "smart asset management"?

Hope so, rather than just supporting him in his recovery for loyalty or sentimental reasons.
You treat people like people, not just assets, especially when they are injured.

If we want our team to gain back a high level of respect amongst players league wide; it’s starts with how we treat our own.

Its the right thing to do on all fronts in my opinion.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Gotta give him one final chance to see if he can overcome the odds and become an elite 35/35 2C like we expected. He's still young and it would suck to have his career completely derailed due to injuries, but if he can't stay healthy and reinjures that shoulder again, then his long term health and quality of life needs to take priority and should probably consider retirement at that point. Next season will be a pivotal one for him and the club, a significant talent and core player hanging in the balance, along with the capspace he commands. Im rooting for the guy, we really need him back and healthy.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I rarely saw his one-timer blast last year, his shoulder was an issue the whole time. I would give him one more shot at this. if it does not work out, flip him out if they can. Or, he may have another shoulder injury and have insurance pay his fortune.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He really needs to get back to 30g form this season, and without delay. It sucks that we need that from someone trying to transition back from an injury, but we don't have the luxury of patience.

Like we don't have to resort to a PLD for Keumper trade, but if Norris doesn't produce and we can get other pieces for him with shorter aav term, gotta pull the trigger.

I don’t know, if Norris plays 80 games, gets 23G-27A for 50 points and is +8 with 17 minutes of ice a night I’d consider that an excellent season

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
You treat people like people, not just assets, especially when they are injured.

If we want our team to gain back a high level of respect amongst players league wide; it’s starts with how we treat our own.

Its the right thing to do on all fronts in my opinion.
I’ll agree with you the respect from players around the league for Ottawa is pretty low

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I rarely saw his one-timer blast last year, his shoulder was an issue the whole time. I would give him one more shot at this. if it does not work out, flip him out if they can. Or, he may have another shoulder injury and have insurance pay his fortune.
Well opponents legit just stuck a person on him the entire power play. When he did get the shot off it would be a good shot. And some went in. But yeah he was completely covered most of the time. And that really scrambled the rest of the power plays brain

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It might make him tradeable.

And we replace him with who? Angus Crookshank? Steven Halliday?

I think we should be cheering for our players to do their best and not to keep shopping guys out the door who commuted to the franchise - we should honour that commitment and as fans support their game and recovery

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And we replace him with who? Angus Crookshank? Steven Halliday?

I think we should be cheering for our players to do their best and not to keep shopping guys out the door who commuted to the franchise - we should honour that commitment and as fans support their game and recovery

I don't care if he's Gandhi and Mother Teresa's lovechild, if he only has one shoulder that works and he's being paid $8M a year for 8 years, you take the opportunity that a bounce-back season offers and you trade him.

A cap world doesn't allow a lot of room for sentiment.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well opponents legit just stuck a person on him the entire power play. When he did get the shot off it would be a good shot. And some went in. But yeah he was completely covered most of the time. And that really scrambled the rest of the power plays brain

The reason Edmonton's PP is so good is because they have so many equally dangerous options.

You have Draisaitl on the goal line - a unique advantage because the angle is borderline impossible and putting a defenceman or a forward on him takes him right out of the box around the net.

If Draisaitl is blocked, then you've got Bouchard on the point with his howitzer.

If you put a guy on him, that's two guys out of the center of the zone which leaves a ton of room for McDavid to take advantage and/or bounce a puck off of RNH into the net.

Instead of Bouchard, we have Chabot. If the puck gets back to him, at the top of the umbrella, he either has to skate it in as the last man back or pass it, because his muffin isn't scaring anyone.

Norris has a great shot, but unlike Draisaitl, he can be covered without severe cost to the penalty killing structure. I remember when we used to try Turris or Hoffman in the high circles, the pass across was so predictable that everyone in the rink including the goalie knew it was coming.

That leaves Tkachuk with his little turn and jam play that never works in the crease, and Stutzle dancing on the half-boards in similar fashion to McDavid. Problem is, he isn't McDavid, and our unit isn't distributed enough on the periphery of the zone to allow a lot of room for him to work.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I don't care if he's Gandhi and Mother Teresa's lovechild, if he only has one shoulder that works and he's being paid $8M a year for 8 years, you take the opportunity that a bounce-back season offers and you trade him.

A cap world doesn't allow a lot of room for sentiment.

100%.

We’ll curse the return, but getting that money off the books is crucial.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t think this is true or fair to Norris - he was the one forward who really played Martin’s style hard and sacrificed offense for depense and really I think was trying to be an example of how they had to play to win.

I’m a big Norris fan and all this smart talk about him will be dumb talk when he comes back and plays well for us, hits and takes hits and scores goals.

One of the main reasons fans think he looked weird is because he was used completely out of position on the PP where we fell in love with him.
We shall see who is "smartest".

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The reason Edmonton's PP is so good is because they have so many equally dangerous options.

You have Draisaitl on the goal line - a unique advantage because the angle is borderline impossible and putting a defenceman or a forward on him takes him right out of the box around the net.

If Draisaitl is blocked, then you've got Bouchard on the point with his howitzer.

If you put a guy on him, that's two guys out of the center of the zone which leaves a ton of room for McDavid to take advantage and/or bounce a puck off of RNH into the net.

Instead of Bouchard, we have Chabot. If the puck gets back to him, at the top of the umbrella, he either has to skate it in as the last man back or pass it, because his muffin isn't scaring anyone.

Norris has a great shot, but unlike Draisaitl, he can be covered without severe cost to the penalty killing structure. I remember when we used to try Turris or Hoffman in the high circles, the pass across was so predictable that everyone in the rink including the goalie knew it was coming.

That leaves Tkachuk with his little turn and jam play that never works in the crease, and Stutzle dancing on the half-boards in similar fashion to McDavid. Problem is, he isn't McDavid, and our unit isn't distributed enough on the periphery of the zone to allow a lot of room for him to work.

I think Stutzle's wrist had a big impact on our PP last year, he went from 10 PP goals to 1 last year, teams didn't respect his shot for good reason, and that allowed them to focus on Norris. Batherson also saw a huge dip,

I think we have the pieces to have a dangerous PP, we don't need to be Edm, but you don't need to have those pieces to have a dangerous PP,

We have shooters in Norris, Pinto, and to a lesser degree, Batherson, Stu and Tkachuk
We have playmakers in Stu, Giroux, and Batherson
We have a net presence in Tkachuk,
We have D that can walk the line and distribute in Chabot and Sanderson

The pieces are there, we just need to execute.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don’t know, if Norris plays 80 games, gets 23G-27A for 50 points and is +8 with 17 minutes of ice a night I’d consider that an excellent season
Unless he bounces back to a 35g form, I wouldn't want to gamble on his shoulder staying healthy.

With Pinto in the line up, we have our C depth ready, and Norris might not be good or healthy enough for the wing.

Whatever his production is, we can replace it with other emerging talent or address other needs in the roster with his $8 million in capspace. It sucks, but his contract is the biggest question mark on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad