Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Chandler Stephenson 5 x 6 million
Chris Tanev 7 x 4.5 million
Laurent Brossoit 3 x 3 million
Jani Hakanpaa 2 x 2 million
David Perron 1 x 1 million

Trade David Kampf

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Stephenson-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Perron
Dewar-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Grebyonkin

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Hakanpaa

Woll
Brossoit

That fits under the cap... Start the season with that framework and keep looking at opportunities to add a RHD through trade that pushes Liljegren down into a time split with Hakanpaa.

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'm looking at:

X-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Dewar(1.35M)-Reaves

Rielly-Tanev(4.5M)
McCabe-X
Benoit-Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz(2.75M)

This roster costs 80.15M and you have 7.85M to fill 1/2LW and 2RD. Tough ask. It makes a ton of sense to go after Desharnais at ~1.2M and move Liljegren giving them 9.65M to fill those 2 spots. This assumes Timmins is waived, Kampf and Robertson are traded for non-roster players.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
July 1st Leafs edition (I really hope not!) Am hitting the bed....

GRXrzn-XAAA5zEn

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
These 1b goalies tend to get put in net against lesser competition, ‘the backup games’.

Curious if there are splits for Stolarz and Broussault based on quality of competition.

Reactions: KMNRB

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I'm looking at:

X-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Tanev(4.5M)
McCabe-X
Benoit-Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz(2.75M)

This roster costs 80.15M and you have 7.85M to fill 1/2LW and 2RD. Tough ask. It makes a ton of sense to go after Desharnais at ~1.2M and move Liljegren giving them 9.65M to fill those 2 spots. This assumes Timmins is waived, Kampf and Robertson are traded for non-roster players.
IMO, this team would be better built by adding a legit 2C the quality of Chandler Stephenson, moving Tavares down the lineup into the 3C role for the next 3-4 years (which he's completely capable of) and playing Domi on Matthews' wing.

I still think you can afford to RHD upgrades by adding Tanev and a 3rd pairing guy like Hakanpaa. Then look at the trade market and try to forumate a package around picks and prospects, or a Marner trade, for stud defensive upgrade.

Reactions: TimeZone

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
IMO, this team would be better built by adding a legit 2C the quality of Chandler Stephenson, moving Tavares down the lineup into the 3C role for the next 3-4 years (which he's completely capable of), and playing Domi on Matthews' wing.

Would love Stephenson here, won't happen.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Would love Stephenson here, won't happen.
Me too. This team gets soooo much better and deeper if you have a 50-60 point John Tavares in a 3C / PP2 role, with a better skating center in his prime, centering Knies and Nylander. This top 9 makes too much sense to me...

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Stephenson-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Perron

Then you trade Kampf and rotate a 4th line of Dewar, Holmberg, Jarnkrok and Grebyokin.

That group doesn't have any real holes, IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Frank reporting on his podcast 2 hours ago that Stolarz is going to Toronto at 3-4 years term between 3-4M.

He's going to cash in pretty well. Not sure how I feel about that one because goaltenders are voodoo.

Leafs are also reportedly extending Woll around 3M to 4M. So that's a lot of money on 2 guys without a long track record. But all they need is one homerun between the 2, or maybe both play very well.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Crazy to think we could be spending $8M/year this summer on goalies who haven't combined for 150 gp
Hopefully the cost certainty via term that would come later on helps to balance out the apparent cost of doing business sooner than that.

If Vegas gets Stamkos, I give up. I think Nashville makes a lot of sense in terms of being able to give him money and playing time. They could also be a big time player for Marner -- they got picks, players of interest and prospects.

They certainly aren't lacking in names, but at least they're in the other conference.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Crazy to think we could be spending $8M/year this summer on goalies who haven't combined for 150 gp

It's a lot of upside though. Woll has shown to be very good and Stolarz has been up and down but with plenty of ability to be dominant for some stretches. I think it would be a lot of bad luck if both flounder badly, and the Leafs still have Hidelby and AA as projects likely pushing for a spot in the next couple years.

It's not a bad strategy to go with the Boston / Vegas route with goaltenders.

Reactions: Sypher04

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'm looking at:

X-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Tanev(4.5M)
McCabe-X
Benoit-Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz(2.75M)

I think it’s trending towards the Leafs penciling in either Benoit or Liljegren in the top 4.

If Tanev gets 4.5, Stolarz 3, it leaves enough money to get a bottom pair dman and good top 9 forward. With a 21 man roster.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm looking at:

X-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Tanev(4.5M)
McCabe-X
Benoit-Liljegren

Woll
Stolarz(2.75M)

I'd expect the Leafs to be in on Skinner to replace Robertson on a show me 1 year deal and probably someone like Lundkvist who fits exactly what they need to give them RHD depth at a cheap rate. I think Liljegren will be expected to be a #4, which he did well this past season.

There's also a bunch of capable mid-line forwards that you could sign to give similar Bertuzzi contributions.

But at the end of the day, Treliving probably needs to get busy on the phones for a trade (or two) if the UFA market isn't working out.

Reactions: Sypher04 and BM14

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Skinner is a good option for depth in case of injuries. Depending on cost I’d like that move on a 1 year deal.

If Vegas gets Stamkos, I give up. I think Nashville makes a lot of sense in terms of being able to give him money and playing time. They could also be a big time player for Marner -- they got picks, players of interest and prospects.

I would have thought Detroit for sure. Especially with the Yzerman connection

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad