Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
They could dump Jarnkrok and Kampf and they will have enough money to re-up McCabe if they want. We dont need Rielly, McCabe and Zadorov on the left side IMO at least NOT this year at least. I am not putting my eggs in the same basket as Marner and Tavares LOL

I personally think Leafs should go HARD after Lindholm right now and not worry about D-man for this season too much, Next season when Tavares and Marner are off the cap they can invest in D-men etc... (unless Marner is moved right now for a trade I really hope he is!)

Assume no marner trade (Leafs are not winning the cup this upcoming season leafs should really re-tool)
I would go hard after Lindholm today so next year with increased cap I don't ahve to pay more for a center and lock my 2C this year

I'd ice

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Robertson-Lindholm-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit XXX

Woll
XXX

Gotta find the XXX and play out the season. Then when Tavares and Marner are off the cap Leafs can really can build their D-core and get another goalie

If I was the GM I would be patient knowing full well next season is NOT the season Leafs are winning the cup with four f***ing forwards at 11+ AAV; I plan to give me the best chance in the last 3 years of Matthews' deal.
Agreed on Lindholm. I think you grab him now.

Great 2C that lets you drop Tavares down to 3C where he belongs.

I think Lindholm is a very good stylistic fit for Nylander and Robertson.

Still hoping for a Marner trade that lets us improve the defence but Lindholm is an improvement at 2C immediately. Also helps to show you what you have in Robertson.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
I wonder if Brad could do 6 years x $4 million for Zadorov and front load the shit out of it to make it work for Zadorov. I dont think OEL moves the needle for us. I guess it depends on how much Brad has imprinted on Zadorov.

I also wonder if Brad could use Zadorov as leverage for Mccabe to see if he extends tomorrow if he would give us a fair price or is he going full Matthews/Marner.

If McCabe is going to be looking for $5+ million and 5 years, I think I would take my chances with Zadorov at the same price. If he is looking to win and do something comparable to Domi, I would extend him and not bother with Zadorov. I guess it depends on how much he likes Toronto.

Tomorrow should be fun regardless 🤪

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Agreed on Lindholm. I think you grab him now.

Great 2C that lets you drop Tavares down to 3C where he belongs.

I think Lindholm is a very good stylistic fit for Nylander and Robertson.

Still hoping for a Marner trade that lets us improve the defence but Lindholm is an improvement at 2C immediately. Also helps to show you what you have in Robertson.

Yup!

We need a GM with a foresight and realistic expectations. If I was the Leafs GM I would not be planning to win the cup next season it is almost impossible unless I can trade marner.

I'd really get our 2C NOW instead of next season when cap goes up and so will the AAV. Get Lindholm now I think he is perfect fit for a 2C with the Leafs. Drop Tavares to 3C and worry about D next season.

It is absolutely stupid IMO to lock up high AAV d-men expecting Leafs to go deep next season with the same core. We already know that Marner and Tavares cannot stylistically adapt. They are both slow skaters and Marner refuses to play body. The kind of hockey you need in playoffs. We have too much cap tied to two players who cannot play playoff winning hockey. So plan for future.

I would really go hard after Lindholm and fill in other pieces cheap on 1 yr deals and then worry about creating defense next off season UNLESS we can trade Marner NOW! ;)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Would be nice to get the Tanev get finalized tonight

Agreed. I'm surprised it's not done already, to be honest.

If it's not done before noon tomorrow I don't understand the need to trade for him.

I don't care about the 7th, really, but what was the rush if not to sign him and have the number finalized prior to free agency opening?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They didn't tear up the last one. They made a ruling on the deal, then NHLPA took it to arbitration, where the NHL was ruled to have the ability to reject the deal even if it was within the CBA rules.

Sounds like the NHL will let the deal sign now base on the FS tweet, but if it's a questionable ending they'll be at risk. This CBA also expires in 2 seasons, we could see tweaks on 35+ deals like we did last time.
Same old song and Dance, just do it nothings going to happen

Reactions: Jmo89

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Yup!

We need a GM with a foresight and realistic expectations. If I was the Leafs GM I would not be planning to win the cup next season it is almost impossible unless I can trade marner.

I'd really get our 2C NOW instead of next season when cap goes up and so will the AAV. Get Lindholm now I think he is perfect fit for a 2C with the Leafs. Drop Tavares to 3C and worry about D next season.

It is absolutely stupid IMO to lock up high AAV d-men expecting Leafs to go deep next season with the same core. We already know that Marner and Tavares cannot stylistically adapt. They are both slow skaters and Marner refuses to play body. The kind of hockey you need in playoffs. We have too much cap tied to two players who cannot play playoff winning hockey. So plan for future.

I would really go hard after Lindholm and fill in other pieces cheap on 1 yr deals and then worry about creating defense next off season UNLESS we can trade Marner NOW! ;)
I agree. The original idea was to get two top RHD, but if we can't sign Pesce, Roy, and Zadorov, might as well use the money on a 2nd line center.

I had a quick look at next year UFA and don't see any good center available (assuming those like Drasaitl won't go into free agency)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree. The original idea was to get two top RHD, but if we can't sign Pesce, Roy, and Zadorov, might as well use the money on a 2nd line center.

I had a quick look at next year UFA and don't see any good center available (assuming those like Drasaitl won't go into free agency)

even if Drai goes to free agency we really can't afford to get him. He will demand too much IMO and we will be back to square 1.

Lindholm is a golden opportunity that lets Leafs lock in a 2C at about 7 AAV if we fully front load it. It is one year of pain but we get it done and next year when tavares and marner are off the cap we can really cook to round out the roster. it will also give us enough time to see how Woll/Robertson/Liljegren look under Berube to make other decisions.

We will have 3 years to really go for it ending right when matthews' last year expires. Then it is time to rebuild anyway IMO

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
even if Drai goes to free agency we really can't afford to get him. He will demand too much IMO and we will be back to square 1.

Lindholm is a golden opportunity that lets Leafs lock in a 2C at about 7 AAV if we fully front load it. It is one year of pain but we get it done and next year when tavares and marner are off the cap we can really cook to round out the roster. it will also give us enough time to see how Woll/Robertson/Liljegren look under Berube to make other decisions.

We will have 3 years to really go for it ending right when matthews' last year expires. Then it is time to rebuild anyway IMO
I recall reading somewhere that Lindholm rejected Canucks' offer of 8mil x 8. 7 AAV isn't close to what it takes.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
With the way Utah is throwing money around I think (HOPE lol) that Marner deal is coming and was just waiting on the bonus to be paid out.

I do wonder about Nashville.... Saros re-signed, they have a ton of capspace, they've needed an elite offensive player for 20 years, they're team most players are willing to waive for, etc. a package around Askarov and one of their young forwards for Marner makes a lot of sense (picks to balance out as needed).

Reactions: hockeywiz542

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So after signing Domi, Lilly and Tanev (assuming its the 4m~). Toronto has roughly 10.5m? for another d-man and a goalie?

OUT: Jarnkrok+Kampf => 4.5AAV

TOTAL: 10.5+4.5 = 15M

IN:
Lindholm (7AAV)
Dewar (1.5AAV)
Robertson (1.5AAV)
Total IN: 10M

Leave 5M to get a goalie and a depth D

If we are able to trade Marner on the other hand...... thats an additional 11M so total 16M to spend and round out the roster

Then the year after 2025-2026 season Tavares' 11 AAV will be off the cap.

This is a golden opportunity for Leafs to really build a winning team and not F it up. We gotta get Lindholm to play 2C and lock him up now. next season trying to get a 2C is going to be a pain in the ass and going to cost a lot of money.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
OUT: Jarnkrok+Kampf => 4.5AAV

TOTAL: 10.5+4.5 = 15M

IN:
Lindholm (7AAV)
Dewar (1.5AAV)
Robertson (1.5AAV)
Total IN: 10M

Leave 5M to get a goalie and a depth D

If we are able to trade Marner on the other hand...... thats an additional 11M so total 16M to spend and round out the roster

Then the year after 2025-2026 season Tavares' 11 AAV will be off the cap.

This is a golden opportunity for Leafs to really build a winning team and not F it up. We gotta get Lindholm to play 2C and lock him up now. next season trying to get a 2C is going to be a pain in the ass and going to cost a lot of money.
Would be a great if Utah send Marino, 1st, 2nd and Keller to us for MM and Calle.

• Love
Reactions: PromisedLand

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
They could use a center to
Henrique? Roslovic? Wennberg?
Ideally they would trade Kampf, Jankrok and give that money else on forward, like a Bert,Wennberg,Duclair,Mantha.

Not sure how tomorrow is going to go, Mirtle has said doesn't seem like any of the big UFA d-man and gonna come here and Zadorov is priced himself out.

Reactions: Kiwi

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Chris Tanev is an elite shutdown D-man...who also can handle the puck very well. According to stars fans, he was their best defenseman in the playoffs.

Lets not act like we're not getting a top defenseman. Tanev over Lybushkin on the first pairing is already a massive improvement

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I recall reading somewhere that Lindholm rejected Canucks' offer of 8mil x 8. 7 AAV isn't close to what it takes.

Don't think Nucks offered him 8million.

if Lindholm wants anywhere in the realmp of 8M+ then yea..... I think Leafs will have to find another center or go another route and shore up the D now.

Lindholm's previous cap hit was about 5AAV; Leafs can give him fully front loaded deal at 7AAV. If he wants more I am afraid he is going to end up like Klingberg.

I don't think any team is going to offer Lindholm 9+ AAV to play 2C after he had 44 points in 75 games last season. that said, if there is a GM that wants to pay him taht money then more power to that GM. Leafs really shouldn't LOL

Reactions: aingefan

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'd ice

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Robertson-Lindholm-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner

wwe-vince-mcmahon.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PromisedLand

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Chris Tanev is an elite shutdown D-man...who also can handle the puck very well. According to stars fans, he was their best defenseman in the playoffs.

Lets not act like we're not getting a top defenseman. Tanev over Lybushkin on the first pairing is already a massive improvement

If he can keep up his play.. he’s 34 now

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2