Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah that’s rich. I love the side and physicality but mobility and offensive ability is needed from the blue line too
if Leafs plan on re-signging McCabe then they gotta walk away from Zadorov

If Leafs don't plan on signging McCabe then they gotta get Zadorov fully front loaded contract

at least thats my position.

Because after Rielly, our leftside is weak and McCabe is a pending UFA (30 yr old) and we don't have any D in the pipeline coming up from the minors next season for immediate help either. We've mostly drafted forwards (Knies, Cowan, Minten, etc...)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
if Leafs plan on re-signging McCabe then they gotta walk away from Zadorov

If Leafs don't plan on signging McCabe then they gotta get Zadorov fully front loaded contract

at least thats my position.

Because after Rielly, our leftside is weak and McCabe is a pending UFA (30 yr old) and we don't have any D in the pipeline coming up from the minors next season for immediate help either. We've mostly drafted forwards (Knies, Cowan, Minten, etc...)
Can’t some of JT’s money go towards McCabe?

Reactions: Rude Dog

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ironically, Zadorov would actually make a great partner for Lily.

I am wondering if we can get Bert + goalie(backup) and then convince Zadorov that its in his favor to sign with the Leafs 5x5 fully front loaded and run....

Rielly Tanev
Zadorov Lily
Benoit McCabe

and then next season if McCabe wants a lot of money we at least has top4 LHD locked up in Rielly and Zadorov

The issue right now is how much Tanev+Bert+Goalie is gonna cost to see if we can accomodate Zadorov.

If we extend McCabe now then Zadorov is not needed; we can worry about that next off season

Reactions: Cleetus

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Starting to look like some Marlies will get a chance without either some cheap contracts which don't seem likely, or a trade. Seems like a lost year until Tavares contract is gone. Are we all really out to lunch on how we look at this team vs gms?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Can’t some of JT’s money go towards McCabe?

Next off season is going to be THE MOST IMPORTANT offseason in the Matthews era. I think if the plan is to retain McCabe we should extend him now at 5x5; and then we don't have pressure to go after Zadorov

If we make a move for Zadorov then I think McCabe is kinda redundant unless he is willing to take a sweet deal for us because we would have other big holes to fill like 2C, 3C, Knies extension, etc....

Reactions: Cleetus

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Next off season is going to be THE MOST IMPORTANT offseason in the Matthews era. I think if the plan is to retain McCabe we should extend him now at 5x5; and then we don't have pressure to go after Zadorov

If we make a move for Zadorov then I think McCabe is kinda redundant unless he is willing to take a sweet deal for us because we would have other big holes to fill like 2C, 3C, Knies extension, etc....
Jettison Lilly and poof you can afford McCabe. I’m still not convinced he won’t be moved before this season starts……..

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I am wondering if we can get Bert + goalie(backup) and then convince Zadorov that its in his favor to sign with the Leafs 5x5 fully front loaded and run....

Rielly Tanev
Zadorov Lily
Benoit McCabe

and then next season if McCabe wants a lot of money we at least has top4 LHD locked up in Rielly and Zadorov

The issue right now is how much Tanev+Bert+Goalie is gonna cost to see if we can accomodate Zadorov.

If we extend McCabe now then Zadorov is not needed; we can worry about that next off season

Not sure I’d wanna be the one giving McCabe his retirement deal, he gets banged up pretty often and Zadorov has a lot more skating to lose before he’s unplayable. Feels safer betting on a mutant athlete’s body holding up through their 30s over a guy you wouldn’t notice sitting next to you at the bar.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not sure I’d wanna be the one giving McCabe his retirement deal, he gets banged up pretty often and Zadorov has a lot more skating to lose before he’s unplayable. Feels safer betting on a mutant athlete’s body holding up through their 30s over a guy you wouldn’t notice sitting next to you at the bar.
If the Bruins get Z it’s going to be ugly come playoff time, I want to be the first to say this………..

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Jettison Lilly and poof you can afford McCabe. I’m still not convinced he won’t be moved before this season starts……..

They could dump Jarnkrok and Kampf and they will have enough money to re-up McCabe if they want. We dont need Rielly, McCabe and Zadorov on the left side IMO at least NOT this year at least. I am not putting my eggs in the same basket as Marner and Tavares LOL

I personally think Leafs should go HARD after Lindholm right now and not worry about D-man for this season too much, Next season when Tavares and Marner are off the cap they can invest in D-men etc... (unless Marner is moved right now for a trade I really hope he is!)

Assume no marner trade (Leafs are not winning the cup this upcoming season leafs should really re-tool)
I would go hard after Lindholm today so next year with increased cap I don't ahve to pay more for a center and lock my 2C this year

I'd ice

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Robertson-Lindholm-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit XXX

Woll
XXX

Gotta find the XXX and play out the season. Then when Tavares and Marner are off the cap Leafs can really can build their D-core and get another goalie

If I was the GM I would be patient knowing full well next season is NOT the season Leafs are winning the cup with four f***ing forwards at 11+ AAV; I plan to give me the best chance in the last 3 years of Matthews' deal.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Marner + Kampf
For
Crouse + Doan + McBain

Would you? I think I would. Frees up cap for a good D as well.
I like Doan as a player but I can’t see him ever coming to Toronto while his Dad is the AGM. That would be a massive conflict of interest. Imagine the contract negotiations.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

if thats the case then you go after Zadorov now. But I'd also go after Lindholm. We gotta get that 2C locked up. I like having a right handed center and he is pretty decent and won't cost too much. This is a golden opportunity IMO

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Rielly Tanev
Zadorov McCabe
Benoit Liljegren

Probably what Tre is targeting. I could stomach the Lilly signing if Tanev and Zadorov are part of the top four.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They aren't going to tear up the CBA
As soon as they do its going to court
They didn't tear up the last one. They made a ruling on the deal, then NHLPA took it to arbitration, where the NHL was ruled to have the ability to reject the deal even if it was within the CBA rules.

Sounds like the NHL will let the deal sign now base on the FS tweet, but if it's a questionable ending they'll be at risk. This CBA also expires in 2 seasons, we could see tweaks on 35+ deals like we did last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad