Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I still can't believe we haven't heard anything about Toffoli. If Marner gets f***ed he's the UFA winger I'd be after. Not sure who he played with in Calgary or New Jersey, but in LA and Winnipeg he was best next to shoot first centers in Carter and Monahan. He'd look nice next to Matthews or Tavares. And he can PK

Reactions: Gabriel426

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Right now I am wondering who is killing penalties? Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Tanev, McCabe, Rielly, Benoit? We need several more forwards who can do that job and at least 1 more D. But seems more meh there

Dewar? Knies? Matthews? All PKed quite a bit through the season, but in particular towards the end of the season. Nylander and Liljegren also have done it more than enough.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
So far not looking good, guess the “run it back” crowd are ecstatic……..

At least they let Gregor go, that’s something…….
At the very least the defense will be rebuilt (which is a good thing), but I'm not holding my breath on a Marner trade.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
LEts sign Cal Foote and Carter Hart

Jokes aside, there are really a lot of interesting RFAs that teams are just letting them walk.

Nylander, Comtois, Steel, McLeod and Zadina.
Worth giving them a 950k, prove it and show it contract
Can they be called up fom the penal hickey league?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm starting to think that after Tanev our second defensive addition is going to come via trade.

There's just not enough quality left on the market with DeMelo resinging, Pesce going to Jersey, and Roy not wanting to leave the US. That leaves us with Montour (who's going to be overpaid) or Skjei who plays on the wrong side and will also get overpaid.

I think we go for a lower profile guy like Sean Walker or Desharnais and then scan the trade market (Seattle?) looking for more.

Reactions: Burnie97

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
How much is Walker looking at? He isn't a top defenseman on the market but would be an excellent fit

I'd also target Carrier who won't cost as much

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How do you change that in multiple states and provinces? it's impossible.

The league could establish a rule allowing teams outside the no-tax states to dip into a pool of money. That would work, but it hasn't happened.

No, different teams have different advantages and the tax situation in Ontario isn't the reason we can't win

NJ went to arb/mediation and it was upheld.

Personally I think the easiest route would be for the league to just classify as a 35+ deal

They can't, he isn't 35+ and if they do that's a breach of the CBA

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
There's a reason you can get Kylington+Carrier/Walker for the price of Montour.
Yes, but here is a question.

Is having Montour and Rielly @ 15m the best way to use the money? Seemingly if you're giving Montour 7.5, you have to give him the prime spot on the #1 PP + lots of OZS, which means Rielly is not, or as much, mitigating his value and overall effectiveness, because he's not there to shut people down and block shots.

That would be my concern with him, but I do like the player.

No, different teams have different advantages and the tax situation in Ontario isn't the reason we can't win
I agree.

Reactions: Kiwi

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Yes, but here is a question.

Is having Montour and Rielly @ 15m the best way to use the money? Seemingly if you're giving Montour 7.5, you have to give him the prime spot on the #1 PP + lots of OZS, which means Rielly is not, or as much, mitigating his value and overall effectiveness, because he's not there to shut people down and block shots.
Absolutely not.

I would move Rielly off the PP in a heartbeat though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think we should go for Walker. He would be like a poor man's Matt Roy for us.

Walker's the least interesting of them all to me, he doesn't bring anything.

You can't say "We got Walker, he's really going to _______ for us" - he does a bunch of things okay-good but he's not large, isn't a big special teams presence either way, just someone that's kind of there. I like guys that bring an element to the roster.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
I still can't believe we haven't heard anything about Toffoli. If Marner gets f***ed he's the UFA winger I'd be after. Not sure who he played with in Calgary or New Jersey, but in LA and Winnipeg he was best next to shoot first centers in Carter and Monahan. He'd look nice next to Matthews or Tavares. And he can PK
He was playing next to Hughes in NJ for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad