Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Seems to me like the Leafs liked Liljegren more than overpaying marginal upgrades. I think I prefer a few players hitting the market but they can't force players to play here either
This to me looks like they didn't want to lose him for nothing. I can't imagine they like him at 3M given the usage in the playoffs. If they truly liked the player I'd think they would take him to arb, sign him for 1 year around 3-3.5M so they can take another chance at re-signing him next season rather than walking him straight to UFA.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
We are still trying to sign Bertuzzi also
I dont see how it is mathematically possible unless we start the season short a player. Even if we trade kampf and jarnkork that is $4.2 million and we would need $3.75 for Bertuzzi and at least a million to replace Kampfs spot.

Dewar at 4C works for me

Hoping for a Trenin signing as well
I would be fine with moving Kampf and Jarnkrok. One of Dewar, Holmberg, or Minten will be good enough. Dare I say the words Cowan kills it and steals a spot.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Depth option and a bit of puck-moving? Kylington is who I want for that role.
Their 1-3LD should be Rielly, McCabe, Benoit. No need to add another LD for anything above league minimum. I'd rather they blow their brains out on Montour at 7.5M over signing OEL at 3M (he is projected at 4M).

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Sounds like plan A is Zadorov+cheap no 6 D and plan B is OEL and liljegren. When we appear to give up on zadorov we signed liljegren.

Liljegren seemed to play his best w sandin. Maybe a veteran Swedish countryman like oel can help him fulfill his potential.

Reactions: Rude Dog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly - Tanev
Ekman-Larsson - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Not terrible, but not great either. Pretty meh overall.

OEL seems like fixing the Klingberg gamble. He was able to do well for the Panthers and Treliving knows him a bit from his Arizona days I believe but seems like a defenseman they'll give term too and regret it very quickly. But at least they are trying to add a better mix of offense and defense on the back end. I think OEL might be able to continue his path to redemption though so it's not all negative.

I think they need to target unqualified and under utilized/developed defensemen that are gonna be free agents tomorrow. Lundkvist, Brannstrom, Boqvist, Bryson, etc. Panthers made it very clear that these players can do well under the right circumstance, and even completely excel.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
If we are not getting either Zadarov or Roy, and are priced out on Pesce, Skeje and Montour, then I am really concerned over our defence. Adding someone like OEL is not acceptable. It needs to be upgraded far more than that.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sounds like plan A is Zadorov+cheap no 6 D and plan B is OEL and liljegren. When we appear to give up on zadorov we signed liljegren.

Liljegren seemed to play his best w sandin. Maybe a veteran Swedish countryman like oel can help him fulfill his potential.

I wouldn’t say there is any evidence we have given up on Zadorov yet, just dreger speculation. Either way, I don’t see it as related. Liljegren signing timing was obviously the result of a looming 5pm deadline to qualify him.

Reactions: KMNRB

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Oliver Kylington said to be hitting the market. I would take a flyer on him for cheap. Love his skating and puck moving ability.

Also like the idea someone mentioned earlier of adding some young players with upside. Brannstrom, Bean, Boquvst, and Lundquivst all come to mind.

Sam steel was great in a depth role in the post season last year. Look at him too. We should be scouring all the rfa's that go unqualified. We badly need cheap talent.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Oliver Kylington said to be hitting the market. I would take a flyer on him for cheap. Love his skating and puck moving ability.

Also like the idea someone mentioned earlier of adding some young players with upside. Brannstrom, Bean, Boquvst, and Lundquivst all come to mind.

Sam steel was great in a depth role in the post season last year. Look at him too. We should be scouring all the rfa's that go unqualified. We badly need cheap talent.
I would also be in on Alex Nylander and Boris Katchouk and Taylor Raddysh. Lets move out Jarnkrok and Reaves please, get younger and cheaper.

Also, can we somehow sign Wennberg? That would fill a huge hole.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Right now I am wondering who is killing penalties? Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Tanev, McCabe, Rielly, Benoit? We need several more forwards who can do that job and at least 1 more D. But seems more meh there

Reactions: New Liskeard

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
OEL seems like fixing the Klingberg gamble. He was able to do well for the Panthers and Treliving knows him a bit from his Arizona days I believe but seems like a defenseman they'll give term too and regret it very quickly. But at least they are trying to add a better mix of offense and defense on the back end. I think OEL might be able to continue his path to redemption though so it's not all negative.

I think they need to target unqualified and under utilized/developed defensemen that are gonna be free agents tomorrow. Lundkvist, Brannstrom, Boqvist, Bryson, etc. Panthers made it very clear that these players can do well under the right circumstance, and even completely excel.
Those guys are all no better than Liljegren. Need top 4 guys, the bottom pair should be Benoit-Liljegren

Reactions: Rare Jewel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad