Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

13. Nashville’s told teams — and there are a lot of interested parties — that the price for Yaroslav Askarov is either a current NHLer or a similarly highly-rated prospect who is not a goalie.

Love Woll but Askarov has Vasilevsky-like potential. We need to at least kick tires on this.

If only we could trick them into thinking Timmins is an NHLer

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Tanev at $4 million
Roy at $6 million
Zadorov at $5 million

Trade McCabe and Jarnkrok to free up money for Zadorov.

Rielly. Tanev
Zadorov. Roy
Benoit. Lilly

I think thats a pretty serious overhaul of the backend.

I would feel better about the rolling back similar forwards if the defense was rock solid.

I think the Marner situation needs to be resolved though either by trade or extension. It will be a massive distraction for everyone and limit the ability to properly build a team. We can all agree he cannot walk as a ufa so something needs to happen sooner than later.

Would it be that bad if we have him $12 million x 7 years? With Tavares coming off the books and assuming we shored up the defense, we would probably be in ok shape.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Tanev at $4 million
Roy at $6 million
Zadorov at $5 million

Rielly. Tanev
Zadorov. Roy
Benoit. Lilly

I would feel better about the rolling back similar forwards if the defense was rock solid.

I think the Marner situation needs to be resolved though either by trade or extension. It will be a massive distraction for everyone and limit the ability to properly build a team. We can all agree he cannot walk as a ufa so something needs to happen sooner than later.

Would it be that bad if we have him $12 million x 7 years? With Tavares coming off the books and assuming we shored up the defense, we would probably be in ok shape.

That’s a lot of cap with goaltending and forwards not sorted out yet. Only would be doable if the marner deal does in fact go down.

McCabe costs only $2M, I don’t see what trading him and keeping Liljegren does for us when Liljegren will probably get paid more than $2M

Rielly - Tanev
Zadorov - Roy
McCabe - Benoit

Looks better

It would certainly be nice to go into the next 4 year window with most of our D locked up and it actually being a strength of this roster for once.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
OEL in for Benoit.

Benoit replaces Timmins as the #7.
Benoit is in the heart of his prime and gives you 100% every shift. It is essential we treat him as a locked roster spot. I'm not even "developing" Liljegren if it comes down to choosing between the 2. Bye bye Lil.

Can you imagine facing Benoit in the Cup finals when you're nursing 1-3 injuries. By the cup finals unpredictable players like Jarnmark can fly in and snipe shelf just based on having a little more gas than others around him. Benoit will be that guy who has a little more gas than his peers. Even if his tank is empty he'll hit some internal turbo button until he faints.

Reactions: zoA and rumman

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Tanev at $4 million
Roy at $6 million
Zadorov at $5 million

Rielly. Tanev
Zadorov. Roy
Benoit. Lilly

McCabe is better than Zadorov and costs less than 1/2 of his expected cap hit….

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Teams like the leafs (especially the leafs) have proven over and over again that they can get out from under these kinds of contracts pretty easily. Fans worry too much about this stuff.

What is this based on? The first two aging problems that come to my mind are Marleau and getting rid of him cost us a lot and then Brodie who was great until he declined sharply at the tail end of his deal which is exactly what is likely to happen with Tanev.

What I want to know is why Domi isn't signed. I understandr that term is the hold up and I can't understand why. He's born to be a Leaf and is exactly the kind of player who I am NOT worried about giving term to and if we can reduce the AAV by giving him term, why not? I was saying mid season we should lock him up, it seems clear now that not doing so was a big mistake. Not being enthusiastic about a long term deal for Bertuzzi, that I can understand but Domi, I just don't see what the problem is here.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Does anything got done in a Sunday?

Quiet day to reload from the Draft and get ready for UFA opening tomorrow?

Giving a 6 year contract to a 34 year old feels like it’s just asking for all kinds of league attention around deliberately planning on circumventing LTIR/Robidas Island.

I know there are much more abuses by Vegas and Tampa Bay, but it always feels like Bettman uses the Leafs as an example…..

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I don’t think you really need to go crazy if you get Tanev. You realistically just need a Roy, go get a cheap Vet to pair with Benoit. The OEL one makes sense, if he can play on the right side

Reactions: Forgotusername

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What is this based on? The first two aging problems that come to my mind are Marleau and getting rid of him cost us a lot and then Brodie who was great until he declined sharply at the tail end of his deal which is exactly what is likely to happen with Tanev.

What I want to know is why Domi isn't signed. I understandr that term is the hold up and I can't understand why. He's born to be a Leaf and is exactly the kind of player who I am NOT worried about giving term to and if we can reduce the AAV by giving him term, why not? I was saying mid season we should lock him up, it seems clear now that not doing so was a big mistake. Not being enthusiastic about a long term deal for Bertuzzi, that I can understand but Domi, I just don't see what the problem is here.

Feels like Tre doesnt have a strong sense of direction up front .. they are insistent on the blue line, but they have no idea what to do for the forwards

Reactions: Gallagbi

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
Looking at a Tanev contract of $3-3.5Mx5-6years, compare that to the rising salary cap. It's not that bad, bottom paring d man most likely going to be making close to $2M when the cap hits close to $100M. If Tanev become a bottom pairing dman in 2 to 3 years, it won't be the worsts that happen, compared to a Zadarov contract of + $5M x 5-6 years.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Could have just tampered with Tanev like every other team

well I think they have to some degree to have the confidence to do this. Other teams have spent 3rd/4th round picks on these kind of situations before so hard for me to care about a 7th and a prospect they weren't going to re-sign.

Wonder if Tre was worried that on Monday if the signings went a certain way, Vancouver might come in over the top with a much bigger offer at a place he's been comfortable in before.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We've heard from a few sources, now, that Roy will be a target, so we'll just have to see how things shake out. I'm happy that we're taking solid steps to fix the defense. I'm still concerned about scoring depth, but I understand that we can't fix everything in one offseason. I just want us to choose a direction, and build the unit Berube wants, and get ducks in a row.

Reactions: aingefan

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
We've heard from a few sources, now, that Roy will be a target, so we'll just have to see how things shake out. I'm happy that we're taking solid steps to fix the defense. I'm still concerned about scoring depth, but I understand that we can't fix everything in one offseason. I just want us to choose a direction, and build the unit Berube wants, and get ducks in a row.
Who has said we're in on Roy? From what I see, it's Big Z and OEL.

Reactions: Ale Brew

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Feels like Tre doesnt have a strong sense of direction up front .. they are insistent on the blue line, but they have no idea what to do for the forwards

Every indication we have is he's going to keep the core four up front. Seems to be the sense of direction is very clear.

I had hopes that Marner was going to be moved, but it seems like that isn't going to happen

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If you can sign Roy, I am going all in to try to get Payako/Buchnevich (pending UFA)

Robertson/Liljegren/1st 2026+ (would require Kampf and Jarnkrok going back)

Rielly-Parayko
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Tanev

FWIW it would be

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Parayko

If those are the guys we had. Tanev is a far better partner for Reilly’s style. Parayko can move the puck quite well, and excels with a strong defensive partner as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad