Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Well, he and his camp view him as better than Nylander, so...

Well, If it is Tavares or whichever #2c, you assume that amount of money is taking that position. Which with AM @ 13.2, WN @ 11.5, and MM @ 12.5? puts you in the same cap crunch as now more or less. He also figured that with a low guess on Knies.

here is a hypothetical:

Matthews: 13.25 + Nylander 11.5 + Marner 12 = 37 mllion (rounded) for 3 guys. no other team in the league has highest paid 3 guys total to about 37 million. Its lunacy!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So when the president said the time for patience is over and we need to put everything on the table, what he meant was "Sheldon get ready to learn New Jersese buddy"

Yea, a new coach, Zadorov, Tanev in and Keefe, Brodie, Liljegren out isn't nearly different enough for me.

It starts with the core, I have seen this team change all the supporting cast already.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The point is Steve is assuming the worst. Very minimal cap rise, everyone potentially taking the most money possible. While that is one hypothetical scenario it’s not defacto
Cap increase is same for everyteam. leafs aren't "special"

Marner is trash as far as I am concerned for the cap hit he currently commands forget aobut cap increases. he needs Matthews or Tavares to propel his scoring. he isn't making his line mates better by taking lion's share of the cap. AND he makes glaring mistakes in the playoffs that bite the Leafs on the ass

here are some "nuggets: from Marner in clinching or momentum swinging games

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon (at 1:50 mark)

Marner was a f***ing GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete ASS)

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete ASS

I could list many btw.... Marner is ABSOLUTE TRASH for 11 AAV and a waste of cap space. 8 years of evidence for it.

Time for a change!

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
7 years 3m.

Honestly is kinda funny and kinda way to cheat the system because he’s gonna be allergic to his equipment in 3 years

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah, Edmonton is the only one who will come close when their guys are signed, but they have a final to their name, at least.
Connor and Leon took 8 year deals which benefited the Oil. Matty gave us 5 and will ring the bell again in 4. Leafs do not get much benefit of a rising cap like the Oilers did with 29 and 97. This all brought to you by the Boy Blunder.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
They really could have just kept Dubas is they were gonna run it back.
They 100% were going too...

Dubas got himself fired. MLSE was hapy with 5 years of failure under dubas

They are happy with shanafraud and treliving getting us bounced in R1

All the teams leafa used to laugh at or said were chokers are either cup winners or very very close in

Tampa, Avs, Panthers, Oilers

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I think the Leafs need a Muzzin / Ekholm level addition beyond Tanev and/or Zadorov

Even if they got Roy...there is also a lack of offense on the blueline, they need to get creative here.
Both Roy/Zadorov + Tanev would still only make our blue line about league average. I viewed last seasons group as bottom 10.

But the only way we achieve that is with a core piece traded.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
What's the deal with Sean Walker? Why is he not on anyone's radar?

Apparently Stamkos is still going to UFA despite the new cap space they've brought in.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Rielly/Roy/Tanev/McCabe is absolutely above average
Early teens at best (IMO lower), IF that best case even happens.

Don’t get me wrong that’s what I’m hoping for, but I don’t see how it’s much different than 30y/o Muzzin/Brodie and Rielly. About as best as we can do with the core intact.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Both Roy/Zadorov + Tanev would still only make our blue line about league average. I viewed last seasons group as bottom 10.

But the only way we achieve that is with a core piece traded.

It's better but not better enough.

What's the deal with Sean Walker? Why is he not on anyone's radar?

Apparently Stamkos is still going to UFA despite the new cap space they've brought in.

He does some things well but he doesn't do anything "great" and he's not big.

You can't really say "Yea, Walker is really going to bring _______" to your team. He's a fine #5-6 on a good team, just don't overpay for it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad