Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I like Montour, but that would be 3 big addition at a lot of money and term which I'd be very wary of.

Which is why Marino is such an appealing option via trade. Less term and a very manageable cap h

Ideally I'd go for

Rielly - Marino (or Roy if he'll come to Canada)
Kylington/McCabe - Carrier or Montour (possibly McCabe)
Benoit/Kylington - Myers/Niemela/Mattinen/?

If we're looking for cheap 3rd pair puck moving what about Schultz?

I doubt he's going to get a ridiculous contract

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Bert Matthews Domi
Perron Tavares Nylander
Knies Kadri Cowen
McMann Kampf Holmberg

Rielly Tanev
Zadorov Theodore
Benoit McCabe

Woll
Thompson

Stanley cup lineup

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

LOL he has been reading my past posts huh? LMAO. Dangle was kissing Dubas' ass even after the debacle that was the habs series

Here some of my posts
In 2019, I called out the cap composition but of course.....

Then I was attacked in 2020 and 2021 especially by dubas fan club for posts such as these
Jan 2021

Mar 2021

June 2021

July 2023 I did what Dangle is apparently claiming to do now

I could look up more of my posts. It just pisses me off that the minority on here (including myself) knew Dubas was a f***ing JOKE and ruined things for the Leafs, when we raised our opinions we were not allowed to voice them and sometimes when posts were allowed we were attacked

It wasn't rocket science back then and it isn't rocket science now. marner MUST GO! Either via trade or next season via UFA free agency and this team then can seriously re-tool get a different look and have about 3 kicks at the can with the remainder of Matthews' years still under contract.

There is absolutely NO REALM OF POSSIBILITY or ANY REASONABLE RATIONALE Leafs should continue to roll the dice with the same LOSER philosophy of dubas

Reactions: Jmo89 and LeafSteel

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
One of the best producers in the league (and a top 2 producer on the team) in the regular season and playoffs, while playing the toughest roles on the team and bringing elite defense and PKing. Replacing his impacts within his cap space would be incredibly difficult, and Treliving has not shown an ability to do that.

That is not true. Where did you get this idea from? In fact, the SCF had a higher average goals per game than the rest of the playoffs. Historically, there is no round-based production effects. The only time historically that production tends to dip is game 7s in any round.

They faced situations more conducive to production, that's for sure. You're looking at team-based production changes caused by mostly external differences in situations faced and crediting/blaming individuals that simply follow that trend. Even more ridiculous, our issue has been conversion, not generation, and you're blaming the person who primarily generates, not a converter.

The route to the cup has never been easy for us. The Atlantic division has been represented in the cup finals 7 times in the last 6 years, and the division has been stacked with elite goaltenders that have put up elite performances against both us and quite a few other teams on their runs. Since 2018-2019, the goalies we have faced have combined for +75.7 GSAx through their cup runs against a wide variety of teams, and have won Cups, Conn Smythes, Vezinas, set playoff records, etc. Good defenses can and have been overcome. Breaking through a hot elite goalie is not so simple. They have extraordinary impact on games.

Exactly. It's stupid to do. There's no realistic proposals that make us better.

All teams except one fail every year. Not winning the cup with a great team does not mean it's a good idea to make yourself worse and screw up your future chances.

We did beat Tampa one of those years, and we deserved to beat them the year before too.

He was not overpaid off of his ELC, and it wasn't just based off of 1 year. He got the 10th highest post-ELC cap hit percentage in the cap era, term considered, after the 6th best pre-signing period. He earned it, both at the time, and since.
I would love to know how Marner is an elite PKer when our PK has been terrible every playoffs. Jarnkrok another elite PKer too. Brodie as well. All these good PKers yet our PK is the worst every playoffs. Something doesn't add up there. Nobody cares that he's number 2 in production on our team. He's not #1 and he's not a C. We got another winger who put up 98 points last year and others who are given more ice time and PP time would probably up their production as well.

Or in our case, games 4-7. Always nice seeing other high powered offences light up goalies we can't score more than 2 on though, but lets keep running it back.

No, we're blaming a high paid player who can't push us over the hump and who has only 1 year left on his current deal and expected to get raise on his next one. We blame depth, goaltending ad defence every year we fail and moving Marner helps us improve all of that.

Vegas scored around 25 goals on Bobrovsky last year in the finals. Colorado did the same the year before against Vasilevsky. Tampa Bay scored around 20 against Price in their matchup. These excuses only happen to us and it's what separates us from actual winners.

We're better by being a deeper team and not so reliant on 1 line.

Only 1 team wins it all, but we can't even win a series. Why is this always ignored when trying to defend this core. They can't win. They haven't won anything while being here and they have been given everything they wanted. New coaches, as much money as they wanted, who they play with and being babied by the coaches and management. They all failed, so trading the 1 on the expiring contract and has the most value other than Matthews isn't making us worse when we already don't win anything.

We beat them by getting rid of that good depth and defence you said we had. Remember? Now imagine we moved Marner out and brought in even better depth and defence who can not only play defence/PK, but also provide some offence unlike the depth and defence we brought in that year. Maybe our PK would actually improve when it matters too.

Who were these players who got more? I know of McDavid and Crosby. Ovechkin but he got a 12 year deal. Malkin I believe. He also had 2 110+ seasons on his ELC and back to back Cup Finals with 1 win. Is this the trend for the rest of them? 100+ point seasons, 50 goal seasons, long playoff runs and cup wins and well over a PPG in those playoff series. These are the types of players we compare Marner to when we gave him that contract? Yeah, I think i'll stick to what I said when I said he was overpaid by like 2 million. Also, a lot of those guys cap hit % went down on their 3rd contract, except McDavid because he signed a 8 year deal instead of a 5-6 year deal like our players did and has produced numbers that we haven't seen since the 80s and 90s.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Is this really a good thing? I can't for the life of me understand why people like Bertuzzi. I admit that I didn't get to see much of him before this season, but what I saw this year was a pretty mediocre offensive player who takes a world of dumb penalties, and generally isn't the brightest light on the ice. Why do I want this guy for 4 or 5 years?
He and Domi are absolutely staying. Combined should be under 9 mil too

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Sign Roy (RD), sign Carrier (RD), sign Domi, sign/trade for a cheap 1B goalie, trade Kampft, Jarnkrok call it a great weekend.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He and Domi are absolutely staying. Combined should be under 9 mil too

would be huge b/c togther they were what? Domi (3) + Bert (5.5) = 8.5 AAV.

About the same would be basically retaining the same assets for about the same price.

If we can shed Marner+Kampf+Jarnkrok thats 15M out we could do alot with taht 15Million

hypothetical:
Context: Leafs's WINDOW is until Matthews is on his current contract and in his prime IMO

Marner for Kadri+Weegaar
Jankrok and Kampf for picks
Get Theodore (or bring back Edmundson)

Domi-Matthews-Bert
Knies-Kadri-Nylander
Robertson/Cowan-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg-Dewar-Reaves

Rielly Weegar
Theodore/Edmundson Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Woll
UFA
HildeBeast

next year Tavares is off the cap + more cap increase IMPROVE the team even more.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
S
would be huge b/c togther they were what? Domi (3) + Bert (5.5) = 8.5 AAV.

About the same would be basically retaining the same assets for about the same price.

If we can shed Marner+Kampf+Jarnkrok thats 15M out we could do alot with taht 15Million

hypothetical:
Context: Leafs's WINDOW is until Matthews is on his current contract and in his prime IMO

Marner for Kadri+Weegaar
Jankrok and Kampf for picks
Get Theodore (or bring back Edmundson)

Domi-Matthews-Bert
Knies-Kadri-Nylander
Robertson/Cowan-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg-Dewar-Reaves

Rielly Weegar
Theodore/Edmundson Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Woll
UFA
HildeBeast

next year Tavares is off the cap + more cap increase IMPROVE the team even more.
So you just added Vegas' second best defenseman for...what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad