Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I don't know how anyone can say "just wait until next year when JT is off the books.". His 11M cap hit is going towards a second line center (people are saying resign JT, but I don't), Matthew Knies' contract and Joseph Woll new contract. The same exact team.

You have to move Marner this off-season. Such a shame Leafs management did this to themselves. My God.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
When Panthers fans don't seem all that concerned about Ekblad potentially leaving because they say he's on the decline, I think its better to stay away unless you're getting him for cheap.
Yet he’d still be our best defenceman.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know how anyone can say "just wait until next year when JT is off the books.". His 11M cap hit is going towards a second line center (people are saying resign JT, but I don't), Matthew Knies' contract and Joseph Woll new contract. The same exact team.

You have to move Marner this off-season. Such a shame Leafs management did this to themselves. My God.

No you don't have to, if you can't get good players back you don't move him, a futures based packages doesn't work in this case.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Yet he’d still be our best defenceman.
Maybe maybe not? He's always seemed to be abit overrated to me. Good but not great. I'd rather look elsewhere than take the current version of Ekblad especially when he's had some injury issues in recent years.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Do.. you guys understand at all how goalie development works in the NHL?

Another year as an AHL starter won't hurt Askarov at all. Then the 3ish years after that they could platoon. Then you trade Saros.

Look at Knight. He looked ready right outta college. Played a few playoff games. Then shit hit the fan

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Do.. you guys understand at all how goalie development works in the NHL?

Another year as an AHL starter won't hurt Askarov at all. Then the 3ish years after that they could platoon. Then you trade Saros.

Look at Knight. He looked ready right outta college. Played a few playoff games. Then shit hit the fan
They just signed Saros for 8 years. Go back to the kings board ffs.

‘He can play in the AHL for a year and then back him up for 3ish years’

Yeah, Saros will still have 5 more years on his contract as this doesn’t kick in until next year.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Was expected to get 8-8.5 in free agency, so that tracks with the 8th year to bring it down a bit.
I find the NHL has a problem with moving on from players. It's the worst sport for that in general. What was the point in taking Askarov 11th overall, to completely block him at age 22. In his 2 seasons in the AHL he's put up a .911/.911 and 2.60 GA and 2.34 GA.

Reactions: Kurtz and Menzinger

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Imagine Matthews and Marner... oh nvm

Light return? I'm shocked they got anything at all. Dudes a 3rd liner making almost $6m

I'd give Florida whatever they want

Great deal for the Preds. Bring Askarov along slowly, deal one of them 3 years from now
What would the point of developing Askarov for another 3 years? lol 😂 Askarov has a career to look after too you know. You think he’s going to sit around for another 3 years. The value of Askarov as a young asset is pretty high right now. 3 years off the clock just wastes the value on him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What would the point of developing Askarov for another 3 years? lol 😂 Askarov has a career to look after too you know. You think he’s going to sit around for another 3 years
Have you seen how goalies work in the NHL? Seriously. Wolf won AHL goalie of the year twice and still had to go back for 1 more season, and is still raw

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I find the NHL has a problem with moving on from players. It's the worst sport for that in general. What was the point in taking Askarov 11th overall, to completely block him at age 22. In his 2 seasons in the AHL he's put up a .911/.911 and 2.60 GA and 2.34 GA.

That's true. And in these situations GMs tend to lean more towards the more 'proven' guy. Shelf life of a GM may not be more than 5 years in a lot of cases which also influenced decisions like this

I'd imagine Askarov is traded in the next few years sooner than later. He's going to want to be a full starter is development stays on track.

Reactions: Tony Romo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad