Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I think awful is a strong word. I think you need to find players of Domi's caliber for cheaper. He's a 40 to 45 point player on your 3rd line. 4x4 Is the max someone should be giving a player like that.
One dimensional player. He's fine, but you gotta do better than that if you have 4 mill to spend.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Yeah sorry I’m not liking that 4X4 for Domi. Also absolutely hate this rumor of giving Tanev 5 years… like WTF are we doing? Rielly needs help on D. We need another guy that can move the puck, Tanev is a 34 year old physical D-man that we’re used to… might as well keep Marner and try the same thing again for the 9th time
I'm okay with signing Tanev, but I am not okay giving him that 5 years, but he's in the same tier as McCabe and Brodie (before falling off a cliff for us). Those are serviceable d-man for us. Tanev can move the puck well and is a warrior.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm on the McGroarty train. Get this kid on this team - he wants to play here, he grew up a fan and loves Toronto, and he's NHL ready. Would love to see something around our 1st + Lilly/Robertson/Minten.

Jets don't think he's NHL ready, and they've been scouting and monitoring him.

However, it could just be they have a better team so no easy entries.

Conspiracy theory ... he said he wants playing time in NHL from Jets ... because it is Winnipeg?
So for Leafs maybe he relaxes that stance, since he'd be in Toronto or Toronto?

23rd. overall and a prospect not in (Grebenkin, Cowan, Minten) .

Knies is not a prospect he's a NHLer.

If they want someone like Dewar, Gregor, Robertson fine.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I'm completely fine with a 4x4 for Domi. I'm tired of our team structure. We need a middle class. If you believe that teams are a microcosm of societies than a functional society needs a middle class!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Domi is extremely one dimensional

He passes, he won't score goals and he's untrustworthy defensively, he can play center in a pinch but it makes the entire line a defensive liability

He's not a player you want to be overpaying

I'd be tempted to wait on him and see what market develops around him before I did anything, I bet there isn't a ton of teams desperate to grab him

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
One dimensional player. He's fine, but you gotta do better than that if you have 4 mill to spend.
That's the bigger issue when deciding to sign Domi or move on. His style of play doesn't exactly fit what Toronto needs. On a team with depth he should be on your teams 3rd line, but as you said he's one dimensional whose not very good in his own end. Doesn't fit into to a 3rd line winger role. Toronto needs better then him to be riding shotgun on the 1st line.

That's why my sentiment is circling back to Domi in FA after checking out what's out there. I'd rather pay 4.5m 4.75m for someone like Toffoli and ride him in the top 6, then pay Domi his 4x4.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Very well then.

I was impressed with him at the WJC and I think he'd be the most ready of the prospects to make the team if he were acquired

Not sure what it would take though.

I think Grebyonkin might be more ready, having been playing against men for a couple years.

Maybe trade 23rd. overall and Liljegren for Danila Yurov.
Perhaps we should float that over at the North Stars ... sorry Wild board?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Domi is genuinely interested in a deal around 4x4 I'd wager that gets done. You pay a slight premium for anyone who can play centre, and we should have a 91+ mil cap by 2025. Need some consistency among the support players on the team

Also, interesting seeing Mike Grier be so busy.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Don’t get the hype for Domi he’s a luxury piece that is not a need at all for this team top 6 winger is like 5 or 6 on the list of needs spending money on him wouldn’t be smart at all unless we completely strike out on all the other guys first

Domi is not a luxury at all.
Do people still not understand our offense has been our biggest failure for years running?

Also if Marner is actually moved we need a playmaking winger capable of playing up the lineup even more.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
One thing that stands out is that without a 1st or 2nd in next year's draft, we'd be unlikely to be in on any major acquisitions at the TDL. I really think it is important we fix the defense this summer as we're not going to be able to afford much more than modest upgrades on the fringes of the roster.

I would sign off on that or Keller.
Utah has soooooo many picks, lots of youth.
If you did picks/prospects/youth, you could sign Skjei for Mo money.
Slightly older, better two way game.
Not that I think it happens for a variety of reasons.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Domi is extremely one dimensional

He passes, he won't score goals and he's untrustworthy defensively, he can play center in a pinch but it makes the entire line a defensive liability

He's not a player you want to be overpaying

I'd be tempted to wait on him and see what market develops around him before I did anything, I bet there isn't a ton of teams desperate to grab him
I have to agree. He's a nostalgic phenomenon for fans. Ultimately, he's very average. His playmaking is ok, but he's not a shooting threat. His Defensive play is very poor. I wish him well if he finds a team who will offer him a lot more.

Reactions: Kiwi

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think Grebyonkin might be more ready, having been playing against men for a couple years.

Maybe trade 23rd. overall and Liljegren for Danila Yurov.
Perhaps we should float that over at the North Stars ... sorry Wild board?
Maybe, but the thing with Grebyonkin that his role with a lot of preferential offensive treatment that he gets in Magnitogorsk isn't going to be there as a middle sixer on the Leafs and we don't know if he's really suited to it.

For me, he's best off being the "Nylander" of the Marlies next season

McGroarty seems at least stylistically more suited to be in that middle six role much the way Knies did.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What do you think these other guys are going to sign for? 4 million is probably at the low end of what Domi should get.

Your wildly overvaluing him

He passes the puck and can punch guys sometimes, that's all he does
He doesn't score goals and every line he's on is significantly worse defensively

I'm not even sure the guys a net gain

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm completely fine with a 4x4 for Domi. I'm tired of our team structure. We need a middle class. If you believe that teams are a microcosm of societies than a functional society needs a middle class!

1) nobody has ever believed a team is a microcosm of society

2) we’ve had bottom 9 players at premium salaries for their role forever, they just sucked at their jobs. Kerfoot, Engvall, Kapanen, Johnsson, Marleau, Ritchie, Bert and Domi, Kampf, Reaves

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Jets don't think he's NHL ready, and they've been scouting and monitoring him.

However, it could just be they have a better team so no easy entries.

Conspiracy theory ... he said he wants playing time in NHL from Jets ... because it is Winnipeg?
So for Leafs maybe he relaxes that stance, since he'd be in Toronto or Toronto?

23rd. overall and a prospect not in (Grebenkin, Cowan, Minten) .

Knies is not a prospect he's a NHLer.

If they want someone like Dewar, Gregor, Robertson fine.

IMO it would have to be something like Liljegren, our 2024 1st (or 2025 1st if its after the draft/July 1st), and Robertson for McGroarty + 2024 4th. Its a lot to give up, but its a strong gamble IMO. Lilly could be useful in their organization right now given their limited blueline depth, Robertson gives them a cheap young NHL ready player and PP2 shooter with upside, and the pick obviously means they can go after someone like a Beaudoin or an Emery or a Freij depending on what they want to focus their draft on. Alternatively, throw Minten into that package and remove one of Lilly or Robertson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad