Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If they sign him, let's hope they do so with the intention of buying him out in 3 years when he's done.
and why we should absolutly consider he would be done in 3 years?
Gio still play gpod hockey until 39
Burns is 39
suter 39
Staal had huge impact with florida last year at 36.
Hainsey gave great hockey until 39
letang 37

If you get hin 3M / 4 years unstead of 4,5M /2 could still be great.
Most recently, Cutter Gauthier who was a 5th overall pick and refused to sign with Philly was traded for Drysdale who was a 6th overall pick with 50 points in 140 games, with a very high upside
McGroaty will return a 1st, or at least a solid NHL player.
Lilylpad is very close to being from a "top 4 upside" to he is what he is right now, a 5-6 dman in the NHL.

I would be hesitant to trade Minten just based off Toronto not having a lot of quality center prospects, but I would 100% would do 1st + Lillypad for McGroaty.

He's struggling just to stay in a line up of a team who drastically need help in the back end . If he's unable to reach top 4 in one of bottom 10-12 defensive group in the nhl, do you think he would not be able to reach it in a better defensive group

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I am hoping for the best, but Tre makes me nervous. The mere thought of trading their 1st in 2024 (when they don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year, or a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th next year for an average 34 year old goalie is a fire-able offence.

Sure, trade the the pick for a player entering his prime. Chychrun, McGroarty even Ullmark. But Markstrom? Rumours of 5 years for Tanev? 6 Million for Debrusk? Oh boy. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but not loving what I am hearing.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
This should be part of a 2-3 year off season plan adding d-men this summer, forwards in the next 2 years and develop some of the younger guys

No reason why they can’t win 1-2 rounds and maybe get lucky but there is a lot of change coming here

Berube can set the culture of the team on the right path

I’m very happy Keefe is gone and wish it happened sooner

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
It's crazy how myopic his advice team is. He's really hit and miss based on fit... and he really worked well with Matthews, and a few others here.... it's a good spot for him. Dumb.

It would indeed be sad to see him go.

Domi finally found his perfect spot and its his childhood favorite team. And he's going to screw it up by asking for way too much money.

He actually made Matthews change his game a bit and for the better and can eat some time at center for Tavares sometimes. He's a great fit.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
1st + Lilly, I would do.
How about 1st + Robertson? It gives them a F to replace the outgoing F and allows us to trade from an area of strength, rather than moving. 25 year old RD that could be a top 4 for us for years to come.

I know he hasn't shown it yet, but we have to hope if we improve the D around him then maybe we see more from him?

Rielly FA
FA/McCabe Liljegren
Benoit McCabe/FA
FA depth vet

The first two FAs could be from Skjei, Tanev, Pesce or Roy and the bottom could come from Edmundson, Lyubushkin, or even Brodie or Giordano .

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Signing both Tanev to a 5 year contract and Zadorov to a 5 year contract would be a complete disaster of a offseason for Toronto. I'm hesitant to give a 34 year old Tanev a 3 year contract (who turns 35 in December). But signing a player till he's 39 years old at 4m cap hit would be a disgusting move.

I guess watching Marleau and Giordano, Brodie being unplayable as they age has taught Toronto nothing.
I'd agree but if you want the player that's what it takes.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
and why we should absolutly consider he would be done in 3 years?
Gio still play gpod hockey until 39
Burns is 39
Staal had huge impact with florida last year at 36.
Hainsey gave great hockey until 39
Tanev does not play anywhere close to the game Giordano, who won the Norris.

Did I say "absolutly" buy him out?

"If they sign him, let's hope they do so with the intention of buying him out in 3 years when he's done."

Intentions can change.
Do you have insurance?
Do you plan on being in an accident, burning down your home?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I wonder how strongly trading Marner and re-signing Domi are connected…

It’s a lot easier to move Marner if Domi stays because of the chemistry he showed with Matthews.. but if Domi prices himself out.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tanev does not play anywhere close to the game Giordano, who won the Norris.

Did I say "absolutly" buy him out?

"If they sign him, let's hope they do so with the intention of buying him out in 3 years when he's done."

Intentions can change.
Do you have insurance?
Do you plan on being in an accident, burning down your home?
but he play similar type of hockey than hainsey, Marc Staal, andy greenewho gave up great hockeyat this age.

And if you get him at 3M/ 4 years unstead of 4,5M/ 2 year. still great signing ( you will pay him like 9M on 1st 2 and 3M on the last 2)

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I have a lot of concern with that report on who Tre is eyeing…

I’m preparing to be underwhelmed
I can see your side, but this is still the leafs: a top heavy team where they're forced to fill in on the margins.

Tre is supposedly eyeing everyone (he calls around and inquires about all sorts of players).

We'll see who actually signs a contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sypher04

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am hoping for the best, but Tre makes me nervous. The mere thought of trading their 1st in 2024 (when they don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year, or a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th next year for an average 34 year old goalie is a fire-able offence.

Sure, trade the the pick for a player entering his prime. Chychrun, McGroarty even Ullmark. But Markstrom? Rumours of 5 years for Tanev? 6 Million for Debrusk? Oh boy. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but not loving what I am hearing.

5 years for Tanev sounds like a one and done GM.
It is a, "I'm only here for a few years and then I'm fired." approach.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'd agree but if you want the player that's what it takes.
I guess so, I'd be able to stomach it more if the two targets being talked about were a Tanev / Roy combo or a Tanev / Skjei, or a Tanev / Montour combo. I am not a fan of giving Zadorov a large contract.

Both albeit are better puck movers then what we have now, but you're left in the same spot as this season, are they going to be able to generate any sort of offence from the back end.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I can see your side, but this is still the leafs: a top heavy team where they're forced to fill in on the margins.

Tre is supposedly eyeing everyone (he calls around and inquires about all sorts of players).

We'll who actually signs a contract.

Thing is they only have 1 more year on the books of being top heavy.

So bogging cap long term for mediocre players seems bad right now.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Disappointed that we couldn't bring back either Bertuzzi or Domi. Especially Domi, considering how much he's been saying he's home and doesn't want to play anywhere else

I thought it was imperative to have some grit in the top 6

Reactions: Jmo89

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Disappointed that we couldn't bring back either Bertuzzi or Domi. Especially Domi, considering how much he's been saying he's home and doesn't want to play anywhere else

I fully expect the Leafs to resign Domi.

Reactions: Duffman955

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder how strongly trading Marner and re-signing Domi are connected…

It’s a lot easier to move Marner if Domi stays because of the chemistry he showed with Matthews.. but if Domi prices himself out.
Losing both could be a challenge... we need someone to feed pucks... I mean, sure, sign Patrick Kane instead I suppose, but that's not on any media radar... but we need some puck distributor.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Domi is all after the whistle grit. That’s needed too, but it’s not like he hit a lot or dominated along the boards. He’d be good with Matthews, but no need to overpay him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad