Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
One of the best in the league who falls off during the playoffs I guess.
One of the best in the league and on the team in the regular season and playoffs.
You'd think our top 2 guys would be over a PPG in the playoffs only playing 1st rounds.
You say that like round is relevant at all to production. It's not, and it's a deflection away from the fact that the situations we've experienced in the playoffs have been way less conducive to production than what any other team has experienced over that time. There are only a grand total of 12 players in the Matthews era that are above PPG in the playoffs for the record, and they didn't start at age 19. There are even fewer with the GP of our stars, and it's oh so coincidently populated by players on the same couple teams that experienced easier situations to produce.
Who says throwing away?
Everybody here. Most just want him gone as an emotional release and don't have any actual plan, but even the rare proposals that get floated are either wildly unrealistic or complete team-destroying trash. The chance of replacing his impacts within that cap space (especially from Treliving, who has shown zero competency in that regard) is incredibly low. We have cap space, and don't need to move him in order to improve defense and depth.
We've already done the good defence and depth option? When?
2020-2023.
We did it and still sucked and lost?
No, we did it and ended up not winning the cup, but we didn't suck at all. We were one of the best teams in the league.
He was overpaid off his ELC and he'll be overpaid again.
He was not overpaid off of his ELC, and unless Treliving really screws up and continues his horrible handling of star players, he shouldn't be overpaid this time either. At the very least, we're much less likely to overpay Marner than whoever Treliving would use that cap space on.
There's many ways to upgrade the defence.
And they don't require trading Marner.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Exactly how I saw it. Extend Tavares for $5'ish million... You squeeze Kampf out for a cheaper option at 4C if you need an extra $1.5 million to get the raises done.

You have $10-11.5 million to hand out raises. Worst case scenario, if you can't get McCabe to extend in the $5-5.5 million range, you let him walk and replace him with a 2RHD of similar makeup in free agency.

McCabe is not a 5 million dollar player. Not even close.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
David Perron will be this year's Ryan Reaves - i.e., the Leafs sign him as soon as the clock strikes 12 on July 1.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

The fan 590 just now. JD Bunkis/Mirtle.

I will post the link to the podcast once the show is over.

I am going to just pass on some of the names mentioned.
This is mostly paraphrasing.

Tre is going to try to get ahead of most teams when comes to C. Tanev. Might even go as far as offering him a 5 year deal.
Tanev is not the only D name Tre is making calls on. Also Roy and Pesce. They speculate Zadorov too.

Other targets:

Perron
DeBrusk
Brossoit (price might be higher than they would like)

Slipping away:

Bertuzzi
Domi (if he's not picked up on day 1 of Free Agency, TOR could circle back and something could get worked out on day 2).
Liljegren likely to be traded. He could go to arbitration and the Leafs might not want to give him more money as a #6 D.

Edit

"Perron is a lock" - JD Bunkis

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
He has gone on and on recently about how much he loved playing for Berube. He will sign here.
OK - well I like the sound of that. Frankly I think if we can hit on Skinner and Perron as our depth signings that would be a HUGE win from a forwards perspective this offseason, and does not sound unreasonable either. Add in a McBain and/or Trenin and our forward group has a ton of depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad