Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If the Leafs could find a way to get Lawson Crouse in a Liljegren deal that would be awesome.

Knies - Matthews - Marner

McMann- Domi - Nylander

Crouse - Tavares - Robertson

Lorentz - Holmberg/Kampf - Reaves

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think we're heading towards a Liljegren to Utah smoke show. I'd take our 2nd round pick back straight up at this rate. I would also ask about Soderstrom and/or Curtis Douglas.

I'd be fine with a 2nd.

Even if it makes the Leafs look foolish I don't see him breaking out with this coach and GM given their clear preference for other types of playing styles

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd be fine with a 2nd.

Even if it makes the Leafs look foolish I don't see him breaking out with this coach and GM given their clear preference for other types of playing styles

Not sure I see Utah trading a roster player when they are trying to make a push and they have a lot of future assets. Soderstrom is probably a bust but could be worth the project if the 2nd isn't quite enough? I don't know. He signed a 2 year deal with Brynas in the off-season.

It gives ammo for the trade deadline or maybe even at the draft. Leafs can then activate Dewar and/or Jarnkrok without much issue other waiving someone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A 2nd is an extremely high ask for Liljergren at this point. I think the absolute best case scenario is we get the Rangers 3rd.

That's possible, it's hard to tell what his value is like and it depends on options they have available. It could always be conditional based on Utah's performance. I don't think the difference between 2nd and a 3rd is that extreme though.

How many 90th. overall picks become NHL defenders though?

Prefer a prospect.

I mentioned Victor Soderstrom before... he's a prospect with probably some untapped upside. With that said, a 3rd round pick is just a prospect a few more years away. You get to control who you want and perhaps you get lucky.

I think the Leafs just need cap space and future ammo, whatever that might be we'll see.

Reactions: ACC1224

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Now:

Liljegren, Kampf & 4th
for
McBain

At Deadline:

Granlund
for
Robertson, Jarnkrok & 2nd/3rd

Playoff Lines:

Knies - - Matthews - - Domi
McMann - Granlund - Nylander
McBain - - Tavares - - Marner
Lorentz - - Dewar* - - Reaves
Holmberg/Minten*

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Honestly we need to stockpile some draft assets back and clear some salary.

Trade Timmins to Utah for a 4th or 5th rd pick

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mentioned Victor Soderstrom before... he's a prospect with probably some untapped upside. With that said, a 3rd round pick is just a prospect a few more years away. You get to control who you want and perhaps you get lucky.

I think the Leafs just need cap space and future ammo, whatever that might be we'll see.
Completely agree, the Leafs must acquire Cap space.
Leafs can get that and a prospect at the same time.

My preference is a prospect who has passed the guaranteed never going to happen stage, just isn't ready today. There are teams, Utah for example, who don't have time to wait for that player to develop further.

Liljegren is a NHL player, not a prospect, not a pick, he's guaranteed to play in the NHL, and can be put in a line-up today.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Utah seems extremely logical: would almost be surprised if it didn't happen.

Getting back our 2nd round pick seems fair. I'd take it at this point. Which Lily would get a run in the line-up, but that isn't happening, so it is what it is.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be good with a 2026 2nd round pick for Liljegren from Utah or I would also be fine with Liljegren + Holmberg for McBain + a late pick 6-7th rounder.

Reactions: ACC1224

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That's possible, it's hard to tell what his value is like and it depends on options they have available. It could always be conditional based on Utah's performance. I don't think the difference between 2nd and a 3rd is that extreme though.

I dont know If we would view Soderstrom as much of a prospect tbh

He is 23 going 24 in his D+6 year playing in Europe after struggling in NHL/AHL.

He is only 2 drafts classes younger than Lilijgren

I would want back a player for Lilijgren ideally.

McBain if they value him a lot

Stenlund + 4th if they dont

Stenlund could be our 4C ideally for 2M and is a 6'5 player which Treliving and Berube would like

Make this trade and then deal Kampf for a 4th and 5th to get back some picks in the system

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I dont know If we would view Soderstrom as much of a prospect tbh

He is 23 going 24 in his D+6 year playing in Europe after struggling in NHL/AHL.

He is only 2 drafts classes younger than Lilijgren

I would want back a player for Lilijgren ideally.

McBain if they value him a lot

Stenlund + 4th if they dont

Stenlund could be our 4C ideally for 2M and is a 6'5 player which Treliving and Berube would like

Make this trade and then deal Kampf for a 4th and 5th to get back some picks in the system

I'll be honest I haven't see a ton of Soderstrom and definitely doesn't have a lot of appeal at his stage of his career. Mostly just throwing a dart in the dark and hoping you land something. A smallish fast skating RHD with some skill, maybe he hits after changing teams. You can hope for a player back but typically at this point of the off-season teams are trying to compete and don't have a lot spare parts.

Utah in particular wants to replace LTIR players, not shift pieces around. They have a lot of prospects and picks to shop around... Liljegren isn't the only available defenseman for the right price. People want McBain but I don't see how that happens. They also just signed Stenlund... why would they trade him? Kampf has little to no value.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'll be honest I haven't see a ton of Soderstrom and definitely doesn't have a lot of appeal at his stage of his career. Mostly just throwing a dart in the dark and hoping you land something. A smallish fast skating RHD with some skill, maybe he hits after changing teams. You can hope for a player back but typically at this point of the off-season teams are trying to compete and don't have a lot spare parts.

Utah in particular wants to replace LTIR players, not shift pieces around. They have a lot of prospects and picks to shop around... Liljegren isn't the only available defenseman for the right price. People want McBain but I don't see how that happens. They also just signed Stenlund... why would they trade him?
RHD depth being hurt could interest them in making a move and shift a forward player for a backend player.

Also when they signed him, Hayton looked like a bust again, but he has been good this year making their center deoth look better now

Leafs are a contending team, 3rd/4th rounders for liljjgren are not very enticing

A player like Stenlund that can come in and play with Lorentz and Dewar/Kampf/Jarnkrok to form a strong 4th line would be enticing for us

Of course we are the ones with a constraint. Eventually Dewar and Jarnkrok will be back so will need to make a trade one way or another.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Early Trading: Utah and Montreal exploring NHL trade market -TSN.ca

NHL teams aren't too keen on making trades early in the season but some injuries around the league could force some clubs to take some action. TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun sheds some light on the injury situation in Utah, discuss where the Canadiens are at in their rebuild process and whether or not they would be open to making changes with their roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad