Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bunting was a healthy scratch yesterday in Pittsburgh. Interesting situation to keep an eye on.
I can see the Leafs adding Lars Eller at the deadline.

I always thought Robertson, Timmins, and/or Liljegren to Pittsburgh made a lot of sense in the off-season. Pittsburgh doesn't have many assets though. Eller is one name that's alright, and he started the season on fire. If Bunting is remotely available I'd be very interested, but I'm sure it's just early season struggles.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Liljegren & Jarnkrok
for
Bunting 👀

OR

Liljegren & Jarnkrok
for
Granlund

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bunting - Domi - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Robertson
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves
Dewar - Holmberg

OR

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Granlund - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - McCabe
Benoit - Hakanpaa
Myers/Timmins

Woll/Stolarz

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Bunting probably hopes he doesn't get traded Toronto, he doesn't wanna spend most of his time in the penalty box! Lol

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Bunting isnt a Treliving or Bebrube type of player. Hard pass tbh.

Also, its early but Nick Robertson is blowing his chance to be a main stay in the lineup. He's definitely played hard, but he needs to get some production going or he's gonna be replaced too

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Also, its early but Nick Robertson is blowing his chance to be a main stay in the lineup. He's definitely played hard, but he needs to get some production going or he's gonna be replaced too

Not sure why he isn't a player they'd like. When Bunting is on he's a very effective forechecker and very good around the net, something we've lacked early this season. I liked him more than Bertuzzi.

Robertson will be alright. Thankfully Berube is giving him some leash and he's been the best part of the "3rd" line. I do think he should get a look with more creative offensive players though very soon. I'd like to see Knies with Nylander and Domi, while Robertson gets a look with Matthews and Marner.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Not sure why he isn't a player they'd like. When Bunting is on, he's a very effective forechecker and very good around the net, something we've lacked a bit early this season. I liked him a lot better than Bertuzzi.

Robertson will be alright. Thankfully Berube is giving him some leash and he's been the best part of the "3rd" line. I do think he should get a look with more creative offensive players though very soon. I'd like to see Knies with Nylander and Domi, while Robertson gets a look with Matthews and Marner.
Bunting has no aggression to his game. Sure he's a "pest" but we dont need pests. Also if he's getting scratched in Pittsburgh of all places (they need forward help more than we do), thats not a good sign.

I think we need some size with more aggression who can win board and puck battles. We also more need a shut down C. I suspect thats more of what Tre will be going for

I also dont see the affinity of bringing back former leafs. Its over and done with. Move on. Find someone else

Reactions: BertCorbeau

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bunting has no aggression to his game. Sure he's a "pest" but we dont need pests. Also if he's getting scratched in Pittsburgh of all places (they need forward help more than we do), thats not a good sign.

I think we need some size with more aggression who can win board and puck battles. We also more need a shut down C. I suspect thats more of what Tre will be going for

I also dont see the affinity of bringing back former leafs. Its over and done with. Move on. Find someone else

I disagree quite a bit but I'm sure they have a lot of patience that he'll break out of his funk. He was almost a PPG last season for Pittsburgh after being acquired.

I don't really care if he played for the Leafs before or not -- we need better quality and he's a pretty solid player. This team lacks net presence and more energy. He's also a pretty good board battler. He can bring that. But it's unlikely to happen for a lot of reasons anyway.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010

Do you watch the games ? Tavares is an anchor who kills any play his linemates try and set up. Robertson needs a center who can get him the puck.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I disagree quite a bit but I'm sure they have a lot of patience that he'll break out of his funk. He was almost a PPG last season for Pittsburgh after being acquired.

I don't really care if he played for the Leafs before or not -- we need better quality and he's a pretty solid player. This team lacks net presence and more energy. He's also a pretty good board battler. He can bring that. But it's unlikely to happen for a lot of reasons anyway.

Yup. He’d be a pretty noticeable upgrade over both Holmberg and Pacioretty on that 3LW

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Holmberg/Robertson/Jarnkrok are sore spots up front and hurt our offensive depth. Jarnkrok can't do anything in the post-season, 3C is definitely a spot we need to upgrade on.

Liljegren is also on the market as we all know, I also doubt Timmins is on sure-footing, he can be moved in the right deal too.

Hopefully other teams become willing to make changes and we can swap pieces. The hope would be the other pieces fit our team better than our current ones do.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’d be dangling Liljegren and/or Holmberg for a 3W/C upgrade. Right now that third line is struggling and I don’t think a Jarnkrok return will be enough to help give it the punch up it needs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Much of the reason that the third line is struggling, is it appears as though Tavares still isn't back to 100% health. I'd give them a couple of more games, before making any big decisions.

But the third unit of John Tavares centering Nick Robertson and Pontus Holmberg has been decidedly underwhelming — getting outshot 7-3, outscored 1-0, and generating just 22.6 per cent of expected goals when on the ice together.

That group was also the target of Berube's strongly worded wakeup-call timeout during Wednesday's win over the Kings.

So, it makes sense that the coach is making an adjustment for Monday's divisional tilt against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Pacioretty re-enters the middle six and the second power-play unit, after sitting eight days as a healthy scratch.

Berube chalks up the decision as wanting fresh legs, but he needs more from the Tavares line.

"I think that we haven't gotten a real makeup yet with Johnny being sick," Berube said.

The fulcrum of that unit, though, is the 34-year-old Tavares, whose battle through last week's bout of bad health may have been understated.

The centreman lost eight pounds and some jump.

He admitted Monday that he's just now getting back into the swing of things.

"It was a real difficult illness I had there for a few days. So, take some time to kind of rev things back up this week," said Tavares, who believes a couple of days off at home will be of benefit. "I need to get back into the rhythm."

The success of his line depends on it.

Do you watch the games ? Tavares is an anchor who kills any play his linemates try and set up. Robertson needs a center who can get him the puck.
Holmberg has been a decent puck distributor in the past... but it's just not working with Robertson right now. In preseason, Robertson really created many of his own chances, so he might need to do that tonight.

Reactions: LeafSteel and Kurtz

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holmberg/Robertson/Jarnkrok are sore spots up front and hurt our offensive depth. Jarnkrok can't do anything in the post-season, 3C is definitely a spot we need to upgrade on.

Liljegren is also on the market as we all know, I also doubt Timmins is on sure-footing, he can be moved in the right deal too.

Hopefully other teams become willing to make changes and we can swap pieces. The hope would be the other pieces fit our team better than our current ones do.

I got a lot of time to see Robertson play through the season, he's got plenty of upside to get hot at any given time. Jarnkrok I think is still more than fine as a secondary defensive player that can chip in but he's pretty replaceable in his current place in the lineup. Holmberg is a depth forward. The latter 2 probably don't have much value and you won't find better value at this respective cap hits either.

Liljegren needs to be traded if Berube won't use him.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It would be interesting to see Myers. He was decent enough in pre-season. I wonder how well he can move the puck, as that could be a problem with Benoit otherwise. Timmins had a pretty good game against the Rangers though.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

With Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving all but confirming that he's looking to trade defenseman Timothy Liljegren, it shouldn't be surprising that Leafs scouts are out there pounding the pavement.

What is surprising though is that Leafs scouts are reportedly in Montreal tonight to scout the Montreal Canadiens and, presumably, their opponent the Los Angeles Kings.

Habs insider Karine Hains reports that the Leafs have three scouts at the Bell Centre this evening scouting the game.

Could we see a trade between the two bitter rivals?

Won't happen. Neither side wants to help the other and face the guy. Toronto has nothing Montreal needs.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Liljegren & Jarnkrok
for
Bunting 👀

OR

Liljegren & Jarnkrok
for
Granlund

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bunting - Domi - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Robertson
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves
Dewar - Holmberg

OR

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Granlund - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - McCabe
Benoit - Hakanpaa
Myers/Timmins

Woll/Stolarz

I hate to burst your bubble. We only let Bunting go because he was a ref magnet. We need Crosby. He needs to understand this soon.Mathews / Crosby could be Sakic/Forsberg.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It would be interesting to see Myers. He was decent enough in pre-season. I wonder how well he can move the puck, as that could be a problem with Benoit otherwise. Timmins had a pretty good game against the Rangers though.
Benny was moving the puck out of the zone competently last game, if Myers draws in that will be then end of Timmins/Lilly barring injuries………

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Pacioretty showed some chemistry with Robertson and Tavares when previously paired.

Would be interesting to see what they can do as a line.

Having said that, I have no doubt that Tavares is not 100% and it shows in his play.

Hopefully he can bounce back shortly.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Pacioretty showed some chemistry with Robertson and Tavares when previously paired.

Would be interesting to see what they can do as a line.

Having said that, I have no doubt that Tavares is not 100% and it shows in his play.

Hopefully he can bounce back shortly.
Seemed like a good time to insert some guys into the line up if JT is hurting, he’s not doing the team any favours playing in the condition he’s in…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad