Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tough fit for us I think. They probably want value, and we don't have a lot to give for a bit of a question mark. Can't say I've seen a lot of him recently either.
No immediate rush but Jarnkrok, Dewar and Hakanpaa aren't going to be on LTIR for the season and the Leafs are 5.5M over the cap. It wouldn't be a bad thing to get ahead of the looming decisions, especially if there's interest.

So Jiricek grumbled about being demoted last year, and here he is sitting again.

So he isn't one of their best defenders, and people want to sell the prospect farm so Leafs can demote him to the minors?

Maybe he is better than Timmins? Maybe the BJ's have a loaded defense and the Leafs is chopped liver?

I'd be fine doing a reasonable trade for the prospect, but overpaying is overpaying.

How about Robertson straight across.

Move Liljegren/Kampf/Jarnkrok for Cap Relief and get a fair return.
Fair return on Kampf < Jarnkrok < Liljegren.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
No immediate rush but Jarnkrok, Dewar and Hakanpaa aren't going to be on LTIR for the season and the Leafs are 5.5M over the cap. It wouldn't be a bad thing to get ahead of the looming decisions, especially if there's interest.

To be fair...all 3 are "stuck" on LTIR for at least another 6 games.

In those 6 games, it's entirely possible that somebody gets hurt; so there is some degree of logic in "always" being over the cap using LTIR.

They also can afford to bring Dewar off LTIR (as he was not on LTIR as part of the season-opeining roster), as long as Hildeby goes back down. They could, ALTERNATIVELY, bring Hakanpaa off LTIR, assuming Hildeby goes down and they waive Phillipe Myers.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
To be fair...all 3 are "stuck" on LTIR for at least another 6 games.

In those 6 games, it's entirely possible that somebody gets hurt; so there is some degree of logic in "always" being over the cap using LTIR.

They also can afford to bring Dewar off LTIR (as he was not on LTIR as part of the season-opeining roster), as long as Hildeby goes back down. They could, ALTERNATIVELY, bring Hakanpaa off LTIR, assuming Hildeby goes down and they waive Phillipe Myers.

6 games is by the end of the month.

It's possible Leafs hit another LTIR by then. It's possible they don't. Either way, the point is that it would probably be wise to make a trade to relieve some of the cap from players in a depth role. If Treliving and the Leafs can manage the cap without making a single trade and only waive a player or two, then I guess kudos?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marino now confirmed out multiple months
Durzi out 4-5 months.

Sergacheev playing 28 minutes the other night. Ian Cole played 25ish minutes.

Liljegren to Utah makes a lot of sense.

I was coming here to post this but yeah, they're actually doing okay in the standings, they likely don't want to fall behind in the standings in year #1 because of injuries.

They have picks;

1729357444679.png

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marino now confirmed out multiple months
Durzi out 4-5 months.

Sergacheev playing 28 minutes the other night. Ian Cole played 25ish minutes.

Liljegren to Utah makes a lot of sense.
if possible, McBain please............

Liljegren to either Utah and Kings shouold've been done already

Heck even Timmins to one of those timmins. Both are RD
losing both Lilly and Timmins would be great imo, Myers is ready for his debut imo............

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
There's an obvious fit with Utah. I think Liljegren's value is probably in the ballpark of a 3rd rounder and realistically, it's a futures based trade.

But McBain makes too much sense. 1.59m cap hit still achieves cap relief, currently playing LW but would give us a bottom six C/LW pivot, and is young enough to be a mainstay. Reminds me a bit of Nick Paul in Ottawa pre-trade to TB.

I'd add a fair amount to Liljegren to facilitate that. I don't think Utah has any particular reason to move him, but their LW/C depth is decently deep that it wouldn't hurt (Keller/Crouse/Maccelli at LW) and they desperately need a RD short/medium term.

I think he's the perfect add, in terms of what's realistically attainable + cost.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
There's an obvious fit with Utah. I think Liljegren's value is probably in the ballpark of a 3rd rounder and realistically, it's a futures based trade.

But McBain makes too much sense. 1.59m cap hit still achieves cap relief, currently playing LW but would give us a bottom six C/LW pivot, and is young enough to be a mainstay. Reminds me a bit of Nick Paul in Ottawa pre-trade to TB.

I'd add a fair amount to Liljegren to facilitate that. I don't think Utah has any particular reason to move him, but their LW/C depth is decently deep that it wouldn't hurt (Keller/Crouse/Maccelli at LW) and they desperately need a RD short/medium term.

I think he's the perfect add, in terms of what's realistically attainable + cost.
Straight-up would be fine and fair.

It's hard to tell if McBain is actually an improvement on Holmberg at this time. And again, with Lilly, they're selling him at a low point; I think some forget that this guy played 61 and 67 games between '21 and '23

It's not another player who hasn't established themselves for an extended period of time. He just finds himself on the wrong side of the GM and coaches biases.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Straight-up would be fine and fair.

It's hard to tell if McBain is actually an improvement on Holmberg at this time. And again, with Lilly, they're selling him at a low point; I think some forget that this guy played 61 and 67 games between '21 and '23

It's not another player who hasn't established themselves for an extended period of time. He just finds himself on the wrong side of the GM and coaches biases.

He is not on the outs because of the biases. He is on the outs because of his skill set.

Lilly is a good puck distributor with good skating ability.
His hockey IQ is suspect at times. He is not strong enough to stop a cycle and he isn’t strong enough to clear the net to prevent rebounds. Two important skills if you are going to be a dman on this team.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
e is not on the outs because of the biases. He is on the outs because of his skill set.
I was reading that last that Burube prefers if his Defencemen are big , that they "get in the way."
So he kind of does.

Lilly is a good puck distributor with good skating ability.
His hockey IQ is suspect at times. He is not strong enough to stop a cycle and he isn’t strong enough to clear the net to prevent rebounds. Two important skills if you are going to be a dman on this team.
Well, then put him with someone who helps him down low, a la McCabe or Benoit.

You're not going to have perfect Dman. I mean Rielly has issues with some of the things you've listed

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I was coming here to post this but yeah, they're actually doing okay in the standings, they likely don't want to fall behind in the standings in year #1 because of injuries.

They have picks;

View attachment 918576
I don't mind Lilly... but if they want to move off him, which seems likely... and considering the cap then a 26 2nd rounder, and a 2025 3rd would work.

Not sure they'd get even close to that but something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad