Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
From Anthony's article.

Is Conor Timmins about to push Timothy Liljegren off the roster altogether? Timmins makes roughly $1.9 million less than Liljegren, and they have both shown that they can perform well in third-pairing minutes, which is where either would be slotted when everyone is healthy. From a cap standpoint, there is logic to it, but Timmins can’t be trusted to stay healthy, and we have no idea how Jani Hakanpaa’s knee will hold up. Depending on the trade return, I’d understand the logic, but it can easily backfire. Only Liljegren has shown to be a viable option to move up the lineup if/when an injury occurs among those three options, and I wouldn’t be banking on Chris Tanev playing 82 games, either.

It is very easy to be frustrated with Timothy Liljegren. He has had a lackluster preseason, which is disappointing, considering he signed a $3 million per year season and has a fresh start with a new coach. Robertson’s camp is what you’d like to see from a young player with new life under a different head coach. But it’s important to remember that Liljegren has won his minutes every year and has outscored opponents at 5v5 in his three full seasons. There’s a reasonable sample size of solid play, and it’s more likely that he is that player than this preseason version. Preseason often plays tricks on us.

Don't trust what you see in pre season. If they trade him because of no room, this has regret deal written all over it. I don't know how people can say they prefer Timmins when he barely plays

Reactions: aingefan

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This is a bloated lineup. But the deadline is where Treliving and co. Make their money.

It’s on the core players to execute, but they need to find the right acquisition(s) to put this team in the best position going into the post season. Long ways away, but that’s your job until deadline day - do your homework with the coach and build us a playoff team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don’t know why but I find this funny. Treliving does not want to make a trade haha

Depth is good. If we can afford to keep everyone, great. Having to make a trade now ensures we wouldn’t maximize the return. If he wants to do a trade when another team has an injury that needs replacement we will do better. In the meantime, having a deep squad means we won’t have our hand forced if we have injuries.

Reactions: Zero1

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

I am assuming this is with 14 forwards and 7 dmen?

Dewar counting as one of the forwards as he's on IR not LTIR and Timmins included in the 7 dmen?

Which leaves Minten demotion, and Jarnkrok/Hakanpaa remaining off the roster unless another trade occurs or somebody else goes on LTIR (Most likely Jarnkrok is traded it seems and another move needed for Hakanpaa)?

Actually, a Kampf trade and Minten demotion makes room Jarnkrok to come back and Hakanpaa can replace Timmins with ~20k to spare (or Reaves with ~70k)

A Jarnkrok trade doesn't leave enough room for Hakanpaa to come back unless another trade occurs or we move 2 players.

Edit: I can definitely see them just playing the waiting game as well as Hakanpaa could take a while, Pacioretty could get injured, etc. but they'll need to make a move if nothing happens and I'm sure Pridham worked out the scenarios needed based on Treliving's potential castaways when that time (potentially) comes.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am assuming this is with 14 forwards and 7 dmen?

Dewar counting as one of the forwards as he's on IR not LTIR and Timmins included in the 7 dmen?

Which leaves Minten demotion, and Jarnkrok/Hakanpaa remaining off the roster unless another trade occurs or somebody else goes on LTIR (Most likely Jarnkrok is traded it seems and another move needed for Hakanpaa)?

Actually, a Kampf trade and Minten demotion makes room Jarnkrok to come back and Hakanpaa can replace Timmins with ~20k to spare (or Reaves with ~70k)

A Jarnkrok trade doesn't leave enough room for Hakanpaa to come back unless another trade occurs or we move 2 players.

Edit: I can definitely see them just playing the waiting game as well as Hakanpaa could take a while, Pacioretty could get injured, etc. but they'll need to make a move if nothing happens and I'm sure Pridham worked out the scenarios needed based on Treliving's potential castaways when that time (potentially) comes.

My understanding is there is no LTIR before the season starts.

As soon as season begins LTIR can take affect.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
My understanding is there is no LTIR before the season starts.

As soon as season begins LTIR can take affect.

The season has already started (Euro games) hence why we signed Lorentz and Pacioretty to their contracts. I'm assuming we were already cap compliant before that with paper transactions (Minten and Knies in minors... maybe Hakanpaa not officially processed yet).

Edit: I assume Hakanpaa was already registered and that Minten & Knies was enough without looking closer.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
From Anthony's article.

Is Conor Timmins about to push Timothy Liljegren off the roster altogether? Timmins makes roughly $1.9 million less than Liljegren, and they have both shown that they can perform well in third-pairing minutes, which is where either would be slotted when everyone is healthy. From a cap standpoint, there is logic to it, but Timmins can’t be trusted to stay healthy, and we have no idea how Jani Hakanpaa’s knee will hold up. Depending on the trade return, I’d understand the logic, but it can easily backfire. Only Liljegren has shown to be a viable option to move up the lineup if/when an injury occurs among those three options, and I wouldn’t be banking on Chris Tanev playing 82 games, either.

It is very easy to be frustrated with Timothy Liljegren. He has had a lackluster preseason, which is disappointing, considering he signed a $3 million per year season and has a fresh start with a new coach. Robertson’s camp is what you’d like to see from a young player with new life under a different head coach. But it’s important to remember that Liljegren has won his minutes every year and has outscored opponents at 5v5 in his three full seasons. There’s a reasonable sample size of solid play, and it’s more likely that he is that player than this preseason version. Preseason often plays tricks on us.

Don't trust what you see in pre season. If they trade him because of no room, this has regret deal written all over it. I don't know how people can say they prefer Timmins when he barely plays

I'm not sure where Liljegren fits in with this team long-term anyways.

If you have seen what Treliving has done from an acquisition standpoint in terms of drafting & free agency, he's brought in big guys that can play somewhat physical and move the puck a bit.

OEL, Cade Weber, Hakanpaa, Noah Chadwick, Philippe Myers, etc. The way he wants to build a team from his perspective and the way that Berube coaches, seems to put Liljegren fighting uphill. And I don't think that he necessarily plays a strong defensive game, I think that trading Liljegren now is the right move.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't understand the logic of SOIR, why is there a cap penalty because Minten played 4 whole games last season?
It's oversimplified but essentially think of it this way...

Any player injured on NHL roster will have to go on NHL IR.
Minten got injured before playing a regular season game this season but while doing Toronto Maple Leafs things (not Marlies or another League), so he has to go on Leafs IR.
Then they add the benefit of the doubt saying, "well, last year that guy played 5% of the season, so we'll only count 5% of his cap hit for you", acknowledging that he probably wouldn't have been a fulltime player if not injured

It stops teams from saying, "Oh! Well, we weren't going to play that guy anyway!" to get out of the cap hit, but allows some leeway so a team doesn't get piled on with injuries from AHL-level guys on contract during preseason

And then the player also gets some money from it, too

Again, oversimplification, but I hope that makes some sense

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Liljegren doesn’t move me. He doesn’t have any standout physical traits nor the ability to the think the game at a super high level that would make you think there’s some sort of breakout coming.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The season has already started (Euro games) hence why we signed Lorentz and Pacioretty to their contracts. I'm assuming we were already cap compliant before that with paper transactions (Minten and Knies in minors... maybe Hakanpaa not officially processed yet).

Edit: I assume Hakanpaa was already registered and that Minten & Knies was enough without looking closer.

After a couple of preview games in Prague, the NHL’s regular season is set to begin for real on Tuesday. The triple-header includes the banner raising for the Florida Panthers and the first-ever game for the Utah Hockey Club.

That means teams must have their cap-compliant rosters set by Monday at 5 p.m. ET. So Sunday is the last day to put players on waivers in hopes that they’ll clear and be assigned to the AHL.

Reactions: Community

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I dont think Dewar is IR or LTIR eligible. He's been healthy and skating with the main group for a while

NHL gonna intervene if they force Dewar to IR

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
They eventually will have to make deals because the current cap games are not a long term solution.
This just buys the Leafs time to make decisions and trades.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

After a couple of preview games in Prague, the NHL’s regular season is set to begin for real on Tuesday. The triple-header includes the banner raising for the Florida Panthers and the first-ever game for the Utah Hockey Club.

That means teams must have their cap-compliant rosters set by Monday at 5 p.m. ET. So Sunday is the last day to put players on waivers in hopes that they’ll clear and be assigned to the AHL.

I took a look. You can use LTIR to start the season.

Edit: Looks like they chose keeping Timmins over accruing cap. However, it wasn't likely they were going to make trades to actually free up cap in advance of the TDL anyways. Even a Jarnkrok/Kamp trade just gets thr cap used by others coming off LTIR.

I dont think Dewar is IR or LTIR eligible. He's been healthy and skating with the main group for a while

NHL gonna intervene if they force Dewar to IR

IR counts against the cap so not sure why they would care.

Last edited:

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Not sure what we do when Jarnkrok and Dewar are healthy. LTIR buys us sometime, but we still are over the cap and have too many bodies, particularly at forward.

I wish we hadn't signed Patches. Brings potential scoring punch, but we have too many wingers. Right now McMann is a scratch, and thats with Jarnkrok and Dewar on LTIR.

Something has to give you would think. We just traded and extended Dewar, so I would be shocked if we waived him. Does that mean that Jarnkrok gets moved? Personally, it should be Reaves, but that just isn't happening. I would love a McMann - Kampf - Lorenz 4th line.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I took a look. You can use LTIR to start the season.

Yes, not in preseason.

Deadline to be compliant is 5:00 PM ET.

But LTIR is not available preseason (but you get your 10% over prior to 5:00 PM ET.).

So teams will put players on LTIR to become compliant, but if it isn't available preseason how are teams compliant if regular season begins the next day?

Looks like they do have it both ways for 7 hours.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
So it looks like Liljegren will be traded? Seems to have been supplanted by Timmins and Hakannpa (once healthy.)

I concur with Anthony Petrielli's article. He argues that if we are trading Lily, it has to be for a good return, and not merely to open up cap space, because we could dump Reaves or Jarnkrok/Kampf for the same space.

I'm higher on Lily than most, but if we could recoup so early picks I'd probably do it. Not sure if the league wide value is high enough to warrant it though.

Reactions: conFABulator

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Being worried about losing quality players to waivers hasn’t been a issue in years, nice problem to have for a change…….

Reactions: conFABulator

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I don’t know why but I find this funny. Treliving does not want to make a trade haha
What? Treliving waltzed in here and traded fan favourite Sam Lafferty. He didn't care about the uproar that was going to cause. He's a strong minded individual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad