Trades & Free Agency Thread: 2024-2025 Season Edition

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Timmins waived and Rifai up and with Hakanpaa on LTIR, it would have been enough cap space to fit Patches and Lorentz. So unless I'm missing something or unless Pacioretty is signing a league min deal, they need to find ~800k in cap space.

Or someone else is going on LTIR.

Pending trade announcement?

Tavares for ... Jenner ... captain for captain.

:jk:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Little surprised Engvall is on waivers unless it's a play to hope he gets claimed. Just looking at his statline from last season and the few games I saw him play he was the same player he's been throughout his career.

Holl took a big step back in Detroit last year, that's much less surprising to me.
The waiver list is long, but not as long as Engvall’s neck. Too bad. Someone might pick him up. He’s a decent bottom sixer on a non playoff team. (Edit: ooof 6 years left on that 3AAV contract.) Someone need to reach the floor?

Last edited:

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
do you think people around the league will watch an guy from a average D ( even if upgrade leafs D still average) unable to crack the line up except because an injury at 3M and will have an interest coming TDL for this guy???

I dont want to trade him now to don't lost value, but to don't get stick with his 3M contract for an healthy scratch player who doesn't fit in Berube system. Liljegren can become pretty fast a pretty bad contract.
100% they will be interested in him if he becomes available as he has played over 100 games in the NHL. Last season played 19+ minutes a game and scores 0.40 points a game which over 80 games thats roughly 35 points. Makes about 2 million less than comparable defenceman (see Sandin and Durzi). So yes he will have value even if he starts this season as the 7th defenceman.

A 2 year 3million dollar contract with the Leafs having over 30 million in cap space next year cannot become a pretty bad contract. Absulote worse case scenario they waive him. He is claimed with in minutes

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Have we claimed Engvall yet?
1728244791345.jpeg

Reactions: al secord and OVO16

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Except we need Robertson and Timmins. They make nothing and can contribute and may have upside.

If Lilly is really seventh or lower on the doeth chart, we should move him. Timmins has no value, so he can't lose value. It's not about panicking it is about maximizing the return for redundant pieces.

What is the best realistic outcome for Liljegren? Tha the continues to develop, becomes a top four in the next year or so, as f then hits UFA and commands Sandin or greater money? No thanks.
If it is about maximizing returns on redundant pieces then Robertson is the first person that should be traded.

Up until a week ago Timmins was useless and would not be missed if he is waived. Now he can contribute and has upside. So I would say the samething about Liljegren. Right now he is where Timmins was a 2 weeks ago and two weeks from now people will be posting how we need to trade Jarnkok, Robertson, or Timmins now while the team can still get something.

Injuries will happen. When they do you have a player in Liljegren who can play 19 minutes a game and play on the 2nd PP instead of having to trade assets to find a similar player.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the Leafs do plan on trading Lily, it certainly begs the question of why they didn't do it a few months earlier.

Lily needs to get prime icetime with that caphit. Having him as a 7/6 is self defeating for the team.

Reactions: ACC1224

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If it is about maximizing returns on redundant pieces then Robertson is the first person that should be traded.

Up until a week ago Timmins was useless and would not be missed if he is waived. Now he can contribute and has upside. So I would say the samething about Liljegren. Right now he is where Timmins was a 2 weeks ago and two weeks from now people will be posting how we need to trade Jarnkok, Robertson, or Timmins now while the team can still get something.

Injuries will happen. When they do you have a player in Liljegren who can play 19 minutes a game and play on the 2nd PP instead of having to trade assets to find a similar player.
I am not sure what makes Robertson redundant. Do we have a bunch of young wingers capable of scoring 20 to 30 goals while making $875K per year?

Timmins has no value, but he makes a third of what Liljegren makes. If he made the same money I would want him out too. I am not advocating to dump Liljegren. I think he has value and upside. I am not sure that it lines up with our needs or timing.

I don't believe he cracks the top four this year based on his history, his current play, his body language, and Berube's words. I think we have seen a mental fragility from Lily before so this is not based on two and half weeks of camp.

He doesn't seem like a guy that is going to get 19 minutes a night or PP time. He seems like a guy that is fighting for the sixth spot with Hakanpaa, Timmins, Rifai and Myers and that we might have a Liljegren jr in Niemela. The can't win we are in is that even if Lilly improves slightly he becomes a $4M or $5M dman and then we are going to want to get our from that. If he doesn't improve his value decreases. I don't see him becoming an #1 or an AHLer, that middle area where he likely ends up is what I want us to avoid.

If we can't get value back for Liljegren we should keep him and try to raise his value either for us or in a trade. We got a first and a rental for Sandin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad