GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
This summer is going to be very interesting. I'm hoping Tre learned from his mistake (if he was the one to blame) on the Huberdeau contract. I don't believe they will be willing to bring back an equally bad contract. And if Marner is brought back to play out his contract, then I'm assuming there was NO deal out there that did not involve a bad contract coming back. At least that way we will have more available cap space next year.
Tre is mostly the one to blame on the Huberdeau contract but the mandate to re-sign him came from above his pay grade. Flames have meddlesome ownership that won't rebuild so the team is indefinite purgatory.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Brady Tkachuk would be too good to be true.
Marner out and Brady in is what this team needs to do to excite the fanbase again. It is the opposite of the reaction to rolling it back. Brady is a Berube/Tre player. Marner is not.

I'd be willing to light up the CN tower in Sens colours for a month if they trade him to the Leafs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner out and Brady in is what this team needs to do to excite the fanbase again. It is the opposite of the reaction to rolling it back. Brady is a Berube/Tre player. Marner is not.
Would do that in a heart beat. I honestly think he's the type of winger who'd even have Matthews playing differently too.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Everything you said makes sense and I’d love him here, but the real question is why would Brady want to play for the Leafs????
Oddly enough, he doesn't have any sort of no-trade protection in his contract. He doesn't have any control over where he is traded to, but I have no doubt he would have a strong preference to be in the US, if possible. It's hard to imagine that Ottawa would be willing to trade him to Toronto, or that Marner would have much interest in going to Ottawa.

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Oddly enough, he doesn't have any sort of no-trade protection in his contract. He doesn't have any control over where he is traded to, but I have no doubt he would have a strong preference to be in the US, if possible. It's hard to imagine that Ottawa would be willing to trade him to Toronto, or that Marner would have much interest in going to Ottawa.
My point was I’d rather not acquire a player who’s treading water until he can go play where he really wants to be, as a American kid I can see him wanting to play in his own country, on a good team without the drama and baggage that comes with playing for the Leafs. A place where taxes are less too……..

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he’s on the market you have to try and get him, maybe Ottawa is close enough for Mitchie to wave……….

Everything you said makes sense and I’d love him here, but the real question is why would Brady want to play for the Leafs????
He signed an 8 year year deal with the Sens. I can't see why he would not want to play for the Leafs but I'd be inquiring.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
My point was I’d rather not acquire a player who’s treading water until he can go play where he really wants to be, as a American kid I can see him wanting to play in his own country, on a good team without the drama and baggage that comes with playing for the Leafs. A place where taxes are less too……..
I agree, which is why I always thought it was strange that he signed such a long-term deal with Ottawa. I have absolutely no doubt that he wants out of there at this point.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hes to young to have trade protection. He gets it after next season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If he’s on the market you have to try and get him, maybe Ottawa is close enough for Mitchie to wave……….

I’d drive Marner to Ottawa myself for that deal.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
what happens when the return for marner is garbage and then our shit for brains management uses the capspace on not good players?
And what if it doesn't, what then?

We can make silly scenarios all day and go back and forth. However I'm of the opinion to make changes and to go out and try. The core has remained untouched for several years. Something has got to give IMHO.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
The people that think Domi is extending at $3.5 million for term are just not living in reality, IMO. In what world is a UFA with a history of proven production, taking substantially less than $100,000 per point?

I think that the deal winds up getting done in the $4.5 million range, for 4-5 years. I also think he plays the majority of next season with Matthews after Marner is traded, and puts up a quality 60+ point campaign that will justify the contract.

Domi came off an even better season last year scoring 20 goals and a pretty good playoffs. He only managed to sign a 1-year $3 mill AAV contract. He scored 9 goals with the Leafs and now the Leafs should pay him $4.5 mill AAV for term?? That doesn’t make any sense.

I’m not saying he won’t get that contract but I hate how he’s worth more now just because he played for the Leafs.

I liked Domi at $3 mill AAV. I know I’m going to hate Domi at $4.5+ mill AAV for term. The expectations are different.

Reactions: Kurtz

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
team with to much cap upfront , that desperately needs D and G is going to spend 5 mil on a middle six forward? wtf , Domi is a nice to have , and around 3 mil imo .

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I tried to play around on cap friendly as an exercise if we did run it back and to only resign: Domi, Robertson, Lilly, DeWar, Lyubushkin and the team is just painfully "fine".

There is some cap for a UFA defenseman or goalie but it's nothing inspiring and a very meh looking crew with not a ton of identity

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He signed an 8 year year deal with the Sens. I can't see why he would not want to play for the Leafs but I'd be inquiring.

You would have to full court press woo the hell out of Keith Tkachuk and family with Treliving (good relations with Matthew) and Berube (Blues credibility) plus Shanahan (contemporary of Tkachuk, ex-Blues icon). Bit of a long shot but Brady Tkachuk would definitely re-energize this build.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad