GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I

I disagree. It's not about who's getting the best player. It's about us gaining cap space. While we most certainly will probably have to settle for some slightly less talented player(s) and some picks that may or may not pan out, those players we do get (if we've done our due diligence) should become important pieces of the line up...at less money combined than Marner. Which then leaves us breathing room to pursue a top tier FA D, especially if we can do something with JT's contract at the same time. So while on the surface the deal may appear to be a loser, the cap space we gain makes it worthwhile in the long run. All things considered, of course. Sadly, I fear this team will find a way to screw it up like they usually do. I remain hopeful...after all, I'm a Leaf fan.
Capspace is great if you’re using it on good players, if Toronto is going out and spending 30m (20m and Marners in 11m) in free agency then Toronto is in worlds of trouble IMO.

You don’t build your team via free agency.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Capspace is great if you’re using it on good players, if Toronto is going out and spending 30m (20m and Marners in 11m) in free agency then Toronto is in worlds of trouble IMO.

We don't need to spend 30m on FAs. We have stars. Forwards, at least. We need a 1 or 2 D man, a quality goalie, and depth guys. We have assets to move to get us toward some of that goal, and young guys coming who should make a difference. But grabbing a player (or 2) in free agency isn't a bad thing. We're not building the team through that...we're filling in the gaps.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Saros is going to be 30 when his next contract begins. There's so much risk there, I don't see how any decent GM would trade Marner with him as a centrepiece.

Also goalies also don't really bring back.much in trades. I don't see why the Leafs of all teams should break that trend

Saros is intriguing player to say the least, but term of a deal aside (and he's obviously going to want 7-8 years).is he's going to want huge dollars too, which stops the team from building depth

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Anaheim is willing to retain 50% of the Gibson deal, that could be interesting.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Also goalies also don't really bring back.much in trades. I don't see why the Leafs of all teams should break that trend

Saros is intriguing player to say the least, but term of a deal aside (and he's obviously going to want 7-8 years).is he's going to want huge dollars too, which stops the team from building depth

Not quite the same, but I look at the Darcy Kuemper trade as around the max of what a Saros trade would be like.

Reactions: Menzinger

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
My ideal trade package would be with Seattle for Wright + Larsson + Gourde. We'd probably have to add though, which I'd be fine with doing.

Larsson gives us a cheap top-4 right defenseman, which allows us to focus money on our other needs this offseason (including another defenseman).

Wright gives us a young two-way center to take over for Tavares next offseason.

Gourde gives us a two-way middle six center who is a playoff performer.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
not trading Marner to fill holes. You fill holes with free agents. Lotto pick, allstar powerplay defenceman or goalie, or just keep him and enjoy the massive boost he gives our chances to make the playoffs every year for the the next 8 years. New Jersey put up 100+ points the other year and some of these rebuilding teams are in their end stages. Regular season is going to be a bigger obstacle going forward.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
If I’m Ferris I’m telling the leafs we will talk about a contract on July first not before.
It will be Marners decision to move not anyone else.
Posters can spew smoke out their ass by saying take him off the powerplay, cut his ice time but no nhl team would ever do that because the backlash would be out of this world.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

I know it'll never happen but I'd love it if we don't see fit to spend that $30m like drunken sailors and instead leave $8-10m in cap space so we can load up at the trade deadline without paying thru the nose for salary retention.

Would also let us potentially trade for a disgruntled star from elsewhere (every season has 1 or 2 players that meet that description) and get them for some B level prospects and/or salary filler like Jarnkrok or Kampf.

It would allow them to give some guys like Knies and Robertson to get some PT in higher leverage situations and maybe even Cowan and Grebenkin some extended run if they prove they've earned a spot out of training camp

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If I’m Ferris I’m telling the leafs we will talk about a contract on July first not before.
Posters can spew smoke out their ass by saying take him off the powerplay, cut his ice time but no nhl team would ever do that because the backlash would be out of this world.

His NMC has already kicked in so there's no reason, even for his camp, to delay. I also don't think there will be any animosity from the leafs side. People may not like to hear this, but they'll likely try to extend him before trying to trade him.

I know it'll never happen but I'd love it if we don't see fit to spend that $30m like drunken sailors and instead leave $8-10m in cap space so we can load up at the trade deadline without paying thru the nose for salary retention.

Would also let us potentially trade for a disgruntled star from elsewhere (every season has 1 or 2 players that meet that description) and get them for some B level prospects and/or salary filler like Jarnkrok or Kampf.

It would allow them to give some guys like Knies and Robertson to get some PT in higher leverage situations and maybe even Cowan and Grebenkin some extended run if they prove they've earned a spot out of training camp
Couple of other benefits to having some cap space is being able to run 23 man roster and giving guys like Cowan and Minten some time on the NHL roster without the pressure of having to contribute right away.

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
And if I'm the leafs I tell Ferris a contract offer is not coming and leak it to the media, and let's see how long Mitch likes having to deal with the constant questions that would come at him from the TO media machine every single game and morning practice regarding his lack of a contract and zero contract discussions with the team, he'd love that I'm sure

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Dreger on Overdrive says he's heard the leafs are looking to make a big upgrade in net. Lebrun hints at the same thing in his article (mentions Markstrom).

I wonder if we can somehow swing a three way deal with Marner+Liljergen involved that would swing us a D and G.

Weegar/Andersson + Markstrom package out of Calgary would be ideal.
Parayko + Binnington even better

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dreger on Overdrive says he's heard the leafs are looking to make a big upgrade in net. Lebrun hints at the same thing in his article (mentions Markstrom).

I wonder if we can somehow swing a three way deal with Marner+Liljergen involved that would swing us a D and G.

I think they don't want to be all in Woll next year because Samsonov nearly derailed the season. We need some stability.

Jones saved our asses.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Maybe if Vegas wants to shed cap, they'd be open to moving Hill. They have Thompson making league min.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Backlash from who?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Some were complaining Saros (29) was too old. Markstrom is 34. That will go over well.
No one knows exactly how old Johnny Bower was when he was the best goalie in the league, I’d be more concerned with injury history than actual age especially with a small goalie like Saros………

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No one knows exactly how old Johnny Bower was when he was the best goalie in the league, I’d be more concerned with injury history than actual age especially with a small goalie like Saros………
Honestly, I'd stay away from both but given the choice, I take Saros all day long.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005

Parayko + Binnington even better
Trading for Markstrom would be an even worse DISASTER than trading for Saros. If we're going to trade a major player like Marner at least do it for good players back that can improve our defense or scoring and/or picks and prospects. I'd still rather go with Woll, Hildeby and a vet backup than trade for any goalie but that's just me.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
An offseason idea that I wouldn't mind:

Screenshot 2024-05-22 190113.png

Screenshot 2024-05-22 190431.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-22 190150.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-22 190150.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: aingefan

Ad