GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Fair concerns and I'd say that's probably why there will be a bit more value going towards the Leafs in that scenario. It's not like Marner had his best season either. I am not sure why he would decline faster because of his size... A big goaltender can decline just as fast if not faster?

Saros has played and started the most games of any other goaltender in the last 3 years. If he suddenly gets injured or declines out of the blue... the Leafs are really cursed.

just funny heard people talk about Saros like he was like 36 y/o and on his decline when he's pretty young at 29 and at his prime. The best years for a goalie most of the time are between 27 to 35.

But a Saros at 29... ah nah he's too old and too risky... Wtf, he's in his prime

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Why are a lot of people stuck up on getting a RHD or goalie in a Marner trade?

I’m not against a deal around Marner for Saros, there just better be a couple good pieces coming with Saros as well.

But I’m more open to acquiring a couple younger players with potential and using the cap flexibility in free agency or through other trades (someone mentioned Woll for Binnington type move).

Reactions: Americanadian

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Got to give due to Bill Zito... rookie GM, comes in and acquired Bennett, Tkatchuk, Reinhart, Montour and signs Verhaeghe.

Meanwhile, you have Dubas shopping thrift store, looking for a diamond in the rough all the time and then paying out the behind for mostly washed up rentals.

It's almost like he took advantage of a couple bad GM's in Calgary and Buffalo.

Couldn't imagine someone like that running the Leafs.

Reactions: Antropovsky

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I wonder where Lindholm's value is. I think Trev will kick the tires on him. If you can get him at around 6 to 7 I think he'd be a solid addition as 2nd line C,....assuming they trade Marner or JT

Reactions: aingefan

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
just funny heard people talk about Saros like he was like 36 y/o and on his decline when he's pretty young at 29 and at his prime. The best years for a goalie most of the time are between 27 to 35.

But a Saros at 29... ah nah he's too old and too risky... Wtf, he's in his prime
I know. Cujo was 31 when we got him, Belfour was 37. Saros will be 29 at the start of next season.

I think Saros would be a great addition + whatever minor sweeteners Nashville will have to add (the sweetener isn't going to be a blue chip prospect that lots of people are saying here lol)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
After watching the way Vegas does business and our own guys fight for every last cent on there deals I'd be extremely ok if the front office concerned itself less about optics and more about what's best for the team

We treat our players very well, I think it's time to start doing what's best for the Leafs and getting far tougher with them

Business is business

I completely agree.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Saros is going to be 30 when his next contract begins. There's so much risk there, I don't see how any decent GM would trade Marner with him as a centrepiece.

30 isn't that bad at all. You can get at least 5 years of elite level goaltending, and by then you can have a pretty damn good idea of where Woll/Hildeby/AA stand as well. But yes the age difference and position makes Saros a lesser valued target and thus would likely be part of a bigger overall deal.

Like I'm not sure who is trading a great goaltender that is 23-26 years old? Sometimes you have to get what you can get, right? Or are we signing a Brossoit or Driedger or Wedgewood and expect them to be great?

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I wonder where Lindholm's value is. I think Trev will kick the tires on him. If you can get him at around 6 to 7 I think he'd be a solid addition as 2nd line C,....assuming they trade Marner or JT
Lindholm is practically a Bruin. I'd be surprised if he signed anywhere else

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why are a lot of people stuck up on getting a RHD or goalie in a Marner trade?

I’m not against a deal around Marner for Saros, there just better be a couple good pieces coming with Saros as well.

But I’m more open to acquiring a couple younger players with potential and using the cap flexibility in free agency or through other trades (someone mentioned Woll for Binnington type move).
Jesus Binnington? He's a complete headcase

The only interesting thing about him is the Hextall like explosions of violence he provides every so often

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I know. Cujo was 31 when we got him, Belfour was 37. Saros will be 29 at the start of next season.

I think Saros would be a great addition + whatever minor sweeteners Nashville will have to add (the sweetener isn't going to be a blue chip prospect that lots of people are saying here lol)

We are trading a 100 point RW who's had Selke votes, if he isn't worth plenty he shouldn't be traded

**** getting screwed over and giving him away for jack ****

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
We are trading a 100 point RW who's had Selke votes, if he isn't worth plenty he shouldn't be traded

**** getting screwed over and giving him away for jack ****
so roll it back one more time and wait for JT to expire. that's definitely an option just wonder how it will be received. I think a season of Marner under Berube before you trade him isn't the worst idea...unless he doesn't resign and leaves for nothing....

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
so roll it back one more time and wait for JT to expire. that's definitely an option just wonder how it will be received. I think a season of Marner under Berube before you trade him isn't the worst idea...unless he doesn't resign and leaves for nothing....

Getting completely rolled in a trade doesn't exactly do us any favors either

A 27 year old Marner who's a significantly better player than PLD should be worth at least as much as he was traded for, if not more

I'd rather he walks after next season than we Kadri his trade and end up empty handed anyway

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Getting completely rolled in a trade doesn't exactly do us any favors either

A 27 year old Marner who's a significantly better player than PLD should be worth at least as much as he was traded for, if not more

I'd rather he walks after next season than we Kadri his trade and end up empty handed anyway

That's a good point on the Dubois return.

We'd need our pro scouts to be really good on that, Winnipeg did a good job in finding value on their return.

Truthfully I'm worried Tree is going to spend big on UFAs.

I guarantee you he's going to spend big on UFA...it's UFA and we need quite a few things.

If he signs like 5-6 guys, 1 or 2 will be duds, it's the reality.

Reactions: Kiwi

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
That kind of goaltending is rarely ever available. They shouldn't have to really sweeten that much to me. I get the hesitation but Saros has been one of the most consistent and one of the better goaltenders in the league for awhile now. I'd expect a bit more coming to the Leafs but to expect a ton more is not really a fair expectation if Saros is included.
I’d accept a 1st, a top prospect and +11m in cap space for Marner. I’m not doubting Saros’ ability, but in the longterm, his age and reliance on reflexes worry me. Lots of games played the last 3 years and he’ll be 31 when that next contract kicks in. We need an option in goal, but this just seems like a bad idea in the long run.

I’m not completely against Saros as the sweetener, but he can’t be the main piece in a Marner return.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’d accept a 1st, a top prospect and +11m in cap space for Marner. I’m not doubting Saros’ ability, but in the longterm, his age and reliance on reflexes worry me. Lots of games played the last 3 years and he’ll be 31 when that next contract kicks in. We need an option in goal, but this just seems like a bad idea in the long run.

He'll be 30 years old when his next deal kicks in technically. To be honest, I'd be worried about any goaltender acquired in any trade. It's a tough market to assess.

But Nashville is a good trading partner and they have assets we could use and vice versa. I just think it's weird that people are taking a dump on Saros when he's been one of the better goaltender in the league for the last 3 years, something we haven't had had in a very long time.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Utah would be the best trading partner when it comes to a Marner trade, Utah will also be looking to make a big splash. Guenther and McBain would be really good gets.
I like Utah as well. I was thinking Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok for 2024 1st, McBain and Crouse.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022

Agreed. Why do we undervalue the most important position in hockey? If you have a chance to get a proven winner (9 seasons - great stats) you jump on it. It's rare finding a top notch goalie! Woll is great but it's very, very risky going with him. The injuries didn't just start - there's a long history there. We can't rely on luck in the middle of our contention window. We have to win right now. Given Woll's injuries, Hildeby will be the back-up in no time. We can see what we have with him.

That said, I agree with everyone who is saying that we need a good ++ with Saros. There needs to be a damn good prospect or player there too (Novak? L'Heureux?) given Marner's worth.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
He'll be 30 years old when his next deal kicks in technically. To be honest, I'd be worried about any goaltender acquired in any trade. It's a tough market to assess.

But Nashville is a good trading partner and they have assets we could use and vice versa. I just think it's weird that people are taking a dump on Saros when he's been one of the better goaltender in the league for the last 3 years, something we haven't had had in a very long time.
I think Saros is a good goalie. However considering the goalie markey (and we can quibble if Saros is better than recent ones) trading Marner for a goalie to me is asinine. I want no part of any trade with NSH, they have nothing I want outside of Saros, and he cannot be the principal part of a return for a 100 point elite RW unless there are SIGNIFICANT sweetners attached.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Jesus Binnington? He's a complete headcase

The only interesting thing about him is the Hextall like explosions of violence he provides every so often
I totally agree. After watching him, and his goal keeping ineptitude against Austria at the IIHF worlds, I hope that Treliving stays clear of him.

You might want to just run it back with Samsonov if you seriously want Binnington !!!

He was a once in a lifetime flash in the pan when he won the SC with the Blues in 2019.

JMHO.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Marner trade aside, Pagnotta said Treliving will be looking for a 3rd line shutdown center. A center with offensive upside but also some jam

2 Players he expects Treliving to go after are Scott Laughton and Boone Jenner.

This also makes me think Tre liked Domi more as a passing winger
Adam Henrique?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Winnipeg Jets have finalized a deal that will send Pierre-Luc Dubois to the Los Angeles Kings in a complex trade that includes a contract extension. His extension is an eight-year, $68 million deal.

In return the Jets will receive forwards Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, Rasmus Kupari and a 2024 second-round pick.

Dubois isn't as good as Marner....I keep coming back to that.

Vilardi was a top line or a "top 6" forward this year, Iafallo a middle 6 player, Kupari wasn't much and a 2nd

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
1716389296276.png

Nashville is picking 8 times in first 2 rounds this year and next. It's greed really. Share the wealth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad