GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Barring a 3 way on July 2 where a team could eat cap and we would actually get positive value.

The move with Carolina is JT for Kuzy

We could waive and get 8.2 million in cap space.
If you're saying the Leafs have to eat 2.8M in dead cap to get rid of him, why do you insist on getting an asset back if a 3rd team eats salary?

Option 1:
To TOR: Kuzy
To CAR: Tavares

Toronto eats 2.8M dead cap, no assets

Option 2:
To Team X: Tavares (50% retained)
To Team Y: 50% Tavares salary, Team X 25 2nd
To TOR: nothing

Toronto eats no salary, receives no asset.

If option 2 were to happen I think the Leafs should just be happy to get out of the entire deal for free and not expect an asset back.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Don't really think that's an option. Agents and players have figured out GMs aren't willing to lose a player over them.

If anything's moving forward id expect to see more bottom six/pairing guys start to get them more often
The the other teams handcuff themselves, offer more money, but no movement clauses going forward……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m curious if any of Berube’s cup winning team will be brought in whether that’s Edmundson, Perron or a trade for Parayko or Binnington.

Binnington was phenomenal this year. A Woll for Binnington swap would be risky but might make sense depending on how the Leafs do in free agency and how much they believe in Woll.
I’d trade Mo straight up for Parayko, resign Edmundson, now only need one more pairing of D……..

• Haha
Reactions: Cap'n Flavour

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Morgan Reilly - Seth Jones
Brenden Dillon - Brett Pesce
Simon Benoit - Jake McCabe

Wonder if this doable. Seth Jones we acquire in a package for Marner. Pesce and Brendan Dillon would be great adds round out the Defense

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Wonder if this doable. Seth Jones we acquire in a package for Marner. Pesce and Brendan Dillon would be great adds round out the Defense
That'd be a very good D I think. McCabe on your 3rd pairing is a luxury.

Reactions: OVO16

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
moving marner for parayko and binnington for the same kind of $$$ will just make this team worst.

If Toronto can sign a Tavev around 4, 4-5M he would be a better option than Parayko at 6.5M no doubt about it. D
will depend of how the market will goes on
Tanev will drop off significantly in a year or two due to his age.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Is Marner extended for Sissons + Askarov + 1st a crazy ask? 100 point 2-way winger for a bottom 6 forward, a blue chip goalie prospect, and a first?

Nashville’s core is older. I don’t know if they want to wait for Askarov to be ready to takeover for Saros. They already have an elite goalie in his prime and they have an opportunity to add a 100 point 2-way winger in his prime.

This is definitely a high risk-high upside move for the Leafs and they need to use the cap space wisely.
I don't see it. Saros is going to be pushing 30. Goalies have a short span for their primes and usually start falling off in their 30s. He already had a down year this year and they could have another young, budding superstar goalie for years to come on a cheap contract, to use to their advantage.

It would be like Tampa trading Vasi to keep veteran Bishop around.

Reactions: Zero1

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I've come around on both Parayko and Binnington after not liking both contracts as recently as mid-season. I would not deal Marner for them. I also don't think Marner would sign up to go to STL. Marner should fetch 1-2 long-term pieces <25. I think Binnington for Woll would be fair. I think Parayko could be had for a futures package.
Need to keep Woll. I don’t think Leafs can afford any future packages for a Dman like Parayko as all the good future pieces(Knies, Minten, Cowan) needs to stay. Robbie is the only one that can be moved but every teams have someone like Robbie.
Also I don’t think teams is willing to give good young established players for MM.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I would much rather target parayko over jones for a multitude of reasons. I think trading marner for a package centered around jones is a borderline fireable offense

Reactions: Americanadian

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I see some seriously high levels of delusion in here.....has anyone who thinks Tre builds big and tough actually ever looked over his body of work?

I can guarantee that it won't match reality.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
That was the crazy part to me.

How does that happen come playoffs. Unacceptable.

What's even more crazy is that we've built our program around offensive minded players.
So much so that we gave them such a large percentage of the cap and were willing to dumpster dive at other positions.
You pump that many resources into being a lights out offense but then only hit at a 16% clip on the PP?

It's almost like our PP is so easy to strategize against, the patterns are so familiar or the roles each player had were so evident that a team could really start to exploit you.

Reactions: Burnie97

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tanev will drop off significantly in a year or two due to his age.

Honestly i'm not agree with this for me can still have an impact at 35-36-37 like what hainsey couple of year ago. His biggest strenght is hockey IQ, understand just so well ehats happening around him and thats why i think he can still give good hockey.

For me leafs need to add 2 d and they need a d whos able to bring offensive outside of rielly and this guy its certainly not Parayko so if you spend 6.5M on him it will be pretty hard. For me Parayko is a worst D than what Muzzin was and even with Muzzin, it was not enough.

If marner is moving, its to drastically improving leafs Dboth side of the ice. I will give you an exemple and the chance marner accept to open his NMC for this team is pretty low but for me for a guy like marner, its a player like Werenski by exemple i would target for a top 10 pts producer in NHL. I would not target a guy like Parayko and one of more inconsistent goalie who could finish the next year as backup

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
What's even more crazy is that we've built our program around offensive minded players.
So much so that we gave them such a large percentage of the cap and were willing to dumpster dive at other positions.
You pump that many resources into being a lights out offense but then only hit at a 16% clip on the PP?

It's almost like our PP is so easy to strategize against, the patterns are so familiar or the roles each player had were so evident that a team could really start to exploit you.
The powerplay sure seems that way.

I don't know how with all the fire power that they have they couldn't figure it out the last half of the season and the playoffs.

They didn't even try anything new and the second unit barely had any time even though the 1st unit was terrible.

It was insanity. They tried nothing different.

I think a big part of it is just simplifying. Put the freaking puck on net and get rebounds. Too many players who are afraid to go to the net and take a stick in the teeth. Sorry but that's what it takes sometimes.

Reactions: weems

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If you're saying the Leafs have to eat 2.8M in dead cap to get rid of him, why do you insist on getting an asset back if a 3rd team eats salary?

Option 1:
To TOR: Kuzy
To CAR: Tavares

Toronto eats 2.8M dead cap, no assets

Option 2:
To Team X: Tavares (50% retained)
To Team Y: 50% Tavares salary, Team X 25 2nd
To TOR: nothing

Toronto eats no salary, receives no asset.

If option 2 were to happen I think the Leafs should just be happy to get out of the entire deal for free and not expect an asset back.

Why the hell would Toronto be happy to get nothing back for Tavares? He's a 70 point 2C with a $910k actual salary. The cost to retain for a 3rd team would be nothing but cap space.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Need to keep Woll. I don’t think Leafs can afford any future packages for a Dman like Parayko as all the good future pieces(Knies, Minten, Cowan) needs to stay.
I proposed Woll for Binnington today. Binnington was a top 5 goaltender in the league this season. Woll is an excellent goalie but a volatile asset for the reasons stated in the OP. Binnington also has familiarity with Berube and his system. STL already have their goalie of the future in Hofer and would probably stand to benefit from getting out of Binnington's deal and not having to pay both of them big money at the same time. Woll is also local to the St. Louis area.
Also I don’t think teams is willing to give good young established players for MM.
I believe they can get 1 very good young player or 2 good young players if they get creative. Of the teams in desirable locations where Marner may be willing to go there aren't a lot of good young players the Leafs could target. They'd need a 3-way trade. I proposed the following 3 way deal:

To VGK: Marner (50% retained), Dewar
To MTL: Theodore, Roy, Marner retention (5.45M)
To TOR: Dach, Evans or Kovacevic

Dach would be an awesome long-term 2C in Toronto.

Why the hell would Toronto be happy to get nothing back for Tavares? He's a 70 point 2C with a $910k actual salary. The cost to retain for a 3rd team would be nothing but cap space.
The post I'm replying to said they should settle for 2.8M in dead cap space and no assets in return or they should expect an asset if another team retains for them. I was simply commenting on the double standard there.

As far as the cost of retention - I'd imagine a 3rd team would need at minimum a 2nd to retain on Tavares. Wasting a retention slot and cap space in the off-season for a 3rd or less would be pointless. Teams can get a 3rd to retain at the deadline no problem.

Either way - I see 0 chance Tavares waives.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Need to keep Woll. I don’t think Leafs can afford any future packages for a Dman like Parayko as all the good future pieces(Knies, Minten, Cowan) needs to stay. Robbie is the only one that can be moved but every teams have someone like Robbie.

The most valuable player assets I think we should be moving are Mitch Marner, Timothy Liljegren and Nick Robertson. We need to get bigger, faster, and more fearless.

Marner to Vegas for Karlsson and Korczak.
Liljegren, Robertson, and Kampf for Parayko
Sign Domi, Bertuzzi, and Tanev.

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Bertuzzi-Karlsson-Nylander
Cowan-Tavares-Jarnkrok
McMann-Holmberg-Dewar

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Parayko
Benoit-Korczak

Reactions: Gabriel426

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Change of culture #1 and hopefully (pending on retention) a significant amount of cap space #2.

Also, I argue that 70-point appraisal could continue to drop and is tied to the other members of the core 4 and the PP. If he's on 20-25 other teams, I'm really not sure he gets these kinds of totals.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The post I'm replying to said they should settle for 2.8M in dead cap space and no assets in return or they should expect an asset if another team retains for them. I was simply commenting on the double standard there.

As far as the cost of retention - I'd imagine a 3rd team would need at minimum a 2nd to retain on Tavares. Wasting a retention slot and cap space in the off-season for a 3rd or less would be pointless. Teams can get a 3rd to retain at the deadline no problem.

Either way - I see 0 chance Tavares waives.

There's definitely a chance that Tavares waives, especially since he has at least 1 more large contract in his career. If he's told that it's not coming and the chance to get that security elsewhere then he has every reason to consider a move.

IMO, the reason for considering him sticking around is that Berube may insist on it.

Change of culture #1 and hopefully (pending on retention) a significant amount of cap space #2.

Also, I argue that 70-point appraisal could continue to drop and is tied to the other members of the core 4 and the PP. If he's on 20-25 other teams, I'm really not sure he gets these kinds of totals.

Good luck replacing your 2C with that significant amount of cap space with the current UFA group and no assets to work with.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
There's definitely a chance that Tavares waives, especially since he has at least 1 more large contract in his career. If he's told that it's not coming and the chance to get that security elsewhere then he has every reason to consider a move.

IMO, the reason for considering him sticking around is that Berube may insist on it. Otherwise there's no reason not to move on.
It depends what his priorities are. He'll have made 100M in his career. Is he more motivated by money or by coming home to his wife and kids during the season and raising his kids with their grandparents in the picture?

I'm not sure if you're married but, at some point it's a hard sell to your wife that you willingly chose to move away from family so you can make extra money that will end up meaningless in the long run.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Good luck replacing your 2C with that significant amount of cap space with the current UFA group and no assets to work with.
Domi, he's already there. He was the best center in the playoffs, and he can do it for at least one year.

But you'll have to do it next year anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad