GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Marcus Pettersson + Rickard Rakell + PHI 2nd Round Draft Pick
To Pittsburgh: Mitch Marner

Re-unite Dubas and Bunting with Marner.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Surprised people aren't talking about goaltending more, no clue where we go from here. Based on the lress conference, management doesn't have plans to run it back with Sammy again.
I think the odds are that it will be the guy who gets injured all the time and a backup.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Kypreos is a confident guy, so he sounds confident...but for him to know anything, he would need to hear it from Tavares...I don't think Treliving has even spoken to Tavares about a trade yet.
I would bet it was mentioned in the exit interviews and I would bet that factored into Tavares going away for the worlds. It just buys him more time.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I would bet it was mentioned in the exit interviews and I would bet that factored into Tavares going away for the worlds. It just buys him more time.

It's not the first time Tavares has gone away to represent his country after the Leafs are eliminated early. I think Treliving will have a good chat with the new coach about personnel going forward. I think Marner will be the one to be moved because he will net the biggest return that could change the dynamics of the Leafs.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It's not the first time Tavares has gone away to represent his country after the Leafs are eliminated early.
It actually is. He has never gone to the WC after the playoffs in his career. He also hasn’t gone in 12 years.
I think Treliving will have a good chat with the new coach about personnel going forward. I think Marner will be the one to be moved because he will net the biggest return that could change the dynamics of the Leafs.
I don’t disagree that Marner is most likely to be moved. My personal probability for Tavares moving raised from 0% to 20% today based on the info I shared in my original post.

Reactions: Superstar

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
That's just his opinion...I don't think he's getting any inside scoop from Treliving or Tavares...I don't think Tavares is interested in being traded...he's got 2 young kids and a wife from around the GTA.
And a history of showing that he has no problem disregarding the interests of his team in favour of his own interests. Islander fans don't hate him by accident. I don't think he is going to agree to pick up and move his family to Columbus anytime soon.

Reactions: supermann_98

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Montour is not signing for 5.5M... Best case scenario the market for him isn't what he thinks it is and he takes a one year prove it deal like Bertuzzi.
Funny example, seeing how your one-year precedent made 5.5.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
My biggest problem with Zadorov is that he'll be paid a lot for what he provides. If we think this team needs a 20 point left handed physical defenseman that has a hard time playing above bottom pairing minutes, then I guess I don't know much about the sport.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. Describing him as merely that really misses the mark and yes, would make me question anyone's understanding of the game.

He's not merely "physical", he's a monster out there in all facets, and he's mean. He's playing 20 minutes/night in the playoffs for Van, which is hardly bottom-pairing minutes. And while he won't rack up points like a Rielly, if you're watching his cannon from the point and don't think that that's something that we desperately need and have needed for years then again I have to ask what you're smoking.

There's plenty of defensive openings to add a Zadorov and also a puck-mover. You add a guy like him, you no longer have a need for Edmund or Boosh (although I'd like to bring him back if he's cheap). And Lil' will be asking for a ~$3m contract this offseason and this would be a good time to move on from him as well.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
And a history of showing that he has no problem disregarding the interests of his team in favour of his own interests. Islander fans don't hate him by accident. I don't think he is going to agree to pick up and move his family to Columbus anytime soon.
It's hardly "a history of"...it's something he did once under pretty special circumstances. He came home, to a team on the rise, to be captain, and to start a family close to his parents and in-laws.

If he leaves Toronto for top dollar then we can say it is a history or a pattern.

Reactions: Buds17

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
See this is exactly what I'm talking about. Describing him as merely that really misses the mark and yes, would make me question anyone's understanding of the game.

He's not merely "physical", he's a monster out there in all facets, and he's mean. He's playing 20 minutes/night in the playoffs for Van, which is hardly bottom-pairing minutes. And while he won't rack up points like a Rielly, if you're watching his cannon from the point and don't think that that's something that we desperately need and have needed for years then again I have to ask what you're smoking.

There's plenty of defensive openings to add a Zadorov and also a puck-mover. You add a guy like him, you no longer have a need for Edmund or Boosh (although I'd like to bring him back if he's cheap). And Lil' will be asking for a ~$3m contract this offseason and this would be a good time to move on from him as well.

I don't think it misses the mark. Taking a very small sample of the playoffs to make a judgement on a player that he's such a dominant player is going to an extreme that I think misses the mark just as much. He's fourth in TOI/G in the playoffs right now for the Canucks but was 6th in minutes since joining them and typically that's the minutes he plays. The reason he played his most minutes so far was because they went to OT. He played over 20 minutes once in the 3 games against Edmonton so far and he did because... it went to OT.

He does have a big shot. 20 goals in the last 2 regular seasons is great. He is very physical. He's pretty big. He has been pretty good in these playoffs so far. But if you think he's going to be an important top 4 minute player over the course of his extension when he's never been that kind of player, I think I should give you what I'm smoking because you'll need it I think. I just don't think he'll be anywhere near worth the extension he reportedly wants. But I've been wrong before.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

If youre thinking than a guy who struggling to stay in the line up year after year will get 3M. No body will give it to a guu below average in D, being dominated physically and doesn't bring a lot of offensive.

personally i prefer paying for a guy like Skjei or Montour? and bring back boosh or edmundson around 2M than overpay a Zadorov whos at best a 4th d in a good D and stay will a lack of real top 3 D.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If youre thinking than a guy who struggling to stay in the line up year after year will get 3M. No body will give it to a guu below average in D, being dominated physically and doesn't bring a lot of offensive.

personally i prefer paying for a guy like Skjei or Montour? and bring back boosh or edmundson around 2M than overpay a Zadorov whos at best a 4th d in a good D and stay will a lack of real top 3 D.

$3m is what I heard he'll be asking for - let's see if he gets it. I wouldn't give that to him, but I wager that you wouldn't have thought that Holl would get a $10mil contract either, right?

And again, this construct of "4th D or 5th D" is incredibly obtuse in the case of Zadorov. To give an example - Schenn would have been considered a 6th/7th D, but yet he was an excellent contributor when he got here. Same with Boosh and to a lesser extent Edmund. Don't get trapped in these labels, and look at what a player will actually give you, and then evaluate on how badly you are in need of these qualities.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Samsonov isn't going to be back I imagine unless it's for 1 year and probably cheaper. There are some Saros rumours spreading a bit but that's unlikely.

It'll probably be Woll + a free agent addition of some kind if I'm a betting man. Someone like Stolarz might be heavily courted but there's a few more that could do well for 30-40 games. I'd put all my faith in Woll staying healthy because if he can be, he'd be a great goaltender to ride. Hildeby is 23 years old and probably isn't far off being at the very least a competent backup as well.
I don't think there's a chance Samsonov is back, he wants a bit of term and Toronto won't do that plus just off of Trelivings comment last friday. I don't think they go free agent route either, I think Treliving wants and likes stability in net.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I think I should give you what I'm smoking because you'll need it I think.

I wouldn't say no to that offer :D

Look at it this way. You point to his 20 goals over 2 seasons...but the past few years he's played on teams that had plenty of offensive dmen, so he hadn't gotten a chance on the PP.

Does our team have any quality PP dmen? I would say not really. Do we have anyone who can blast it from the point on the PP? Nope. Could adding that aspect go a long way towards solving our playoff pp woes? I imagine so. You put Zadorov as the point man on our PP, and suddenly he's not a 10 goal/season guy, now he could be a 20 goal guy.

And you point to the playoffs being a small sample size - that's true. But are the qualities he's displaying in the playoffs right now something that you don't think he'll be able to replicate? Are we, as a team, not starved for guys who raise their game in the playoffs?

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't say no to that offer :D

Look at it this way. You point to his 20 goals over 2 seasons...but the past few years he's played on teams that had plenty of offensive dmen, so he hadn't gotten a chance on the PP.

Does our team have any quality PP dmen? I would say not really. Do we have anyone who can blast it from the point on the PP? Nope. Could adding that aspect go a long way towards solving our playoff pp woes? I imagine so. You put Zadorov as the point man on our PP, and suddenly he's not a 10 goal/season guy, now he could be a 20 goal guy.

And you point to the playoffs being a small sample size - that's true. But are the qualities he's displaying in the playoffs right now something that you don't think he'll be able to replicate? Are we, as a team, not starved for guys who raise their game in the playoffs?

Sounds good :)

He's going to be just as effective on a powerplay as McCabe -- not very good. He's pretty average with the puck. And while he does have a hard shot, he's not someone that's going to be in a position to be on a powerplay, at least not on a good team. His shooting percentage in the playoffs right now is at a cool 25%.

I don't think we had issues defensively or bringing up the physical aspect of things. I don't think it'll be an issue moving forward either. We definitely struggled offensively. If he's asking for 5M+ with term as rumoured to be what he asked Calgary/Vancouver... it's going to be a problem if/when he's back to his typical bottom pairing match ups. But if you can get him at 4M and under, then you're probably in the ballpark of his capabilities.

This team needs more quality and higher end capable defenders -- notably right handed. I'm very skeptical Zadorov fills either of these.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think there's a chance Samsonov is back, he wants a bit of term and Toronto won't do that plus just off of Trelivings comment last friday. I don't think they go free agent route either, I think Treliving wants and likes stability in net.

We'll see what Treliving can cook but I have a hard time seeing him trade for a goaltender that's going to be very good without giving up a lot. Woll for me has a ton of talent and while the injuries have been concerning, I think you need to give him the net and have a good stable guy next to him.

Reactions: ACC1224

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
On the other hand you have the Tkachuk/Huberdeau deal where Marner would be Huberdeau in this situation (high point totals, invisible in the playoffs, 1 year from UFA). I don't think anyone in Florida regrets giving up on Huberdeau despite his point totals possible never being matched again.
Marner would be Tkachuk.
Tkachuk was not known for his playoff prowess in Calgary either, he turned it up in Florida, and he like Marner would be, was the best player in that deal.
Marner will be the best player in any deal that is made.

I'd like to move on as well, but we are definitely in a lose-lose situation.

Scion

May 25, 2012

I agree 100%, one of the biggest disconnects between fans and people in the game is that the former don't appreciate how important big and physical defenceman are. A guy like Z isnt flashy and his stats don't blow you away, but he is heavy and hard to play against and that wears on forwards over a 7 game series.

Reactions: Kurtz

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
A Vancouver fan proposed something like this to me, and this was my counter-offer, which he liked :

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Filip Hronek [ RFA ]
Ilya Mikheyev (2y @ $4.25m)
prospect Aatu Raty (center)
2025 VAN 2nd Round Pick

CAP RESULT = Toronto saves $1.75m to $2.25m

to Vancouver Canucks
Mitch Marner (1y @ $10.903m)
Timothy Liljegren [ RFA ]
CAP RESULT = Vancouver adds $1.75m to $2.25m

I want to know how y'all feel about this.

We move on from Marner, add a top pairing defense-first right handed guy who is still young-ish and is going to be signing for 4 years or more to play with Rielly on our top pair. He does want $7m to $7.5m cap hit though, which some people don't like, including Vancouver fans. My question is: where else are we gonna get one of these top pair RHD shutdown guys? They don't grow on trees. With the cap going up more in next few years, I don't see overpaying this guy a tiny bit as a big issue, when he's the kind of player our team has been missing and needing.

Another thing to discuss is the Mikheyev contract. Vancouver wants to dump this so they can afford Marner in the deal, but it's an overpaid negative value contract. On the other hand, it's only 2 years, and Mikheyev is finally healthy now. This trade opens up some cap, and then Tavares contract ending opens up a lot more cap next summer, and then Mikeyev's contract is done the summer after that. So, all in all, this is a bullet that I think I'm willing to bite, in order to bring in the kind of player we've been looking for. I think our cap structure over the next two seasons is going to be able to handle it.

The center prospect was drafted with a LOT of potential, but it's unclear if he's going to bust or not. He hasn't fallen off a cliff or anything, so I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on him. He's got one year in the minors before he needs waivers to go down. A 2nd round pick is always good.

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Tavares - Domi - ( Cowan / Minten )
Robertson - Holmberg - Mikheyev
McMann - Kampf - Jarnkrok
13 = Dewar (or Gregor?)
14 = Reaves
callup = Raty (Oct 2025 waivers)

Rielly - Hronek
McCabe - ( Pesce / DeMelo / Walker ) 2 yrs or more
Benoit - ( cheap depth D ) 1 yr only!
7 = Timmins
callup = Niemela (Oct 2025 waivers)

Woll
(Nedeljkovic / Wedgewood / Talbot / Brossoit ) 1 yr only!

October 2026 :

????? - Domi - Cowan
Robertson - Minten - ( Raty ? )
Holmberg - Kampf - ( Dewar ? )

Rielly - Hronek
????? - ( Pesce / DeMelo / Walker )
Benoit - Niemela

Woll (or different starter?)
Hildeby

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
A Vancouver fan proposed something like this to me, and this was my counter-offer, which he liked :

to Toronto Maple Leafs
Filip Hronek [ RFA ]
Ilya Mikheyev (2y @ $4.25m)
prospect Aatu Raty (center)
2025 VAN 2nd Round Pick

CAP RESULT = Toronto saves $1.75m to $2.25m

to Vancouver Canucks
Mitch Marner (1y @ $10.903m)
Timothy Liljegren [ RFA ]
CAP RESULT = Vancouver adds $1.75m to $2.25m

I want to know how y'all feel about this.

We move on from Marner, add a top pairing defense-first right handed guy who is still young-ish and is going to be signing for 4 years or more to play with Rielly on our top pair. He does want $7m to $7.5m cap hit though, which some people don't like, including Vancouver fans. My question is: where else are we gonna get one of these top pair RHD shutdown guys? They don't grow on trees. With the cap going up more in next few years, I don't see overpaying this guy a tiny bit as a big issue, when he's the kind of player our team has been missing and needing.

Another thing to discuss is the Mikheyev contract. Vancouver wants to dump this so they can afford Marner in the deal, but it's an overpaid negative value contract. On the other hand, it's only 2 years, and Mikheyev is finally healthy now. This trade opens up some cap, and then Tavares contract ending opens up a lot more cap next summer, and then Mikeyev's contract is done the summer after that. So, all in all, this is a bullet that I think I'm willing to bite, in order to bring in the kind of player we've been looking for. I think our cap structure over the next two seasons is going to be able to handle it.

The center prospect was drafted with a LOT of potential, but it's unclear if he's going to bust or not. He hasn't fallen off a cliff or anything, so I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on him. He's got one year in the minors before he needs waivers to go down. A 2nd round pick is always good.

Tavares - Domi - ( Cowan / Minten )
Robertson - Holmberg - Mikheyev
McMann - Kampf - Jarnkrok
13 = Dewar (or Gregor?)
14 = Reaves
callup = Raty (Oct 2025 waivers)

Rielly - Hronek
McCabe - ( Pesce / DeMelo / Walker ) 2 yrs or more
Benoit - ( cheap depth D ) 1 yr only!
7 = Timmins
callup = Niemela (Oct 2025 waivers)

Woll
(Nedeljkovic / Wedgewood / Talbot / Brossoit ) 1 yr only!

October 2026 :

????? - Domi - Cowan
Robertson - Minten - ( Raty ? )
Holmberg - Kampf - ( Dewar ? )

Rielly - Hronek
????? - ( Pesce / DeMelo / Walker )
Benoit - Niemela

Woll (or different starter?)
Hildeby
Hronek is not a defense first guy. He got sheltered offensive minutes this year with Hughes while the other pairs took the tough defensive matchups. He even got called out by Tocchet for not wanting to play in the defensive zone this year. Horrible trade for us for Marner alone, adding Liljegren makes it a landslide for Vancouver.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Same team that had no problems forking out big money to Johansen, Duchene, Nyquist, etc over the years? I'm sure they'll be more than willing to bring in a top notch forward if it makes sense to them.

My biggest problem with Zadorov is that he'll be paid a lot for what he provides. If we think this team needs a 20 point left handed physical defenseman that has a hard time playing above bottom pairing minutes, then I guess I don't know much about the sport.

He has been really good in the playoffs, especially against Edmonton so far. I get the admiration but he's going to be 5-6M for years and I don't think he'll replicate that in a bigger size sample.
I really hope you are right. They certainly have the draft capital to do it. Hope you’re onto something here!

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Assuming Reilly McCabe and Benoit are all staying, and they try to extend at least one of Boosh/Edmundson, and then likely target Zadorov, the Leafs aren't going to have much room for any puck movement ability
If Zadorov is a legit top 4 dman as opposed to a bottom 6 who just happens to be having one of those type of playoffs, I would be interested depending on how much he’ll be wanting to be paid. Personally, I think he’s going to take the highest offer out there.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad