GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Mancunian

Dec 6, 2008
Kind of curious about a Seth Jones for John Tavares swap. Assuming Chicago wants to get out from under his contract that runs till 2029 or 2030, they can have JT for one year at his minimum NHL salary with zero worry about cap. They also have a veteran to put with Bedard for one year. Our risk is Jones will not be a stud number one. Our reward is Jones is a stud number one.
It might be worth a shot if Tavares is the only one willing to waive his NMC and management is serious about changing something.

Chicago retained 2mil on McCabe in the deal that included our 1st rounder next year. Maybe Tavares + rights to Liljegren for Jones with his full 9.5mil caphit would be enough to get our 1st rounder back.

If there's a way Chicago eats 2mil on Jones, it might be worth adding to the deal.

Offering a player like Pesce 7.5mil per would be a better idea to address D, but hey... any change to the core is better than no change.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kind of curious about a Seth Jones for John Tavares swap. Assuming Chicago wants to get out from under his contract that runs till 2029 or 2030, they can have JT for one year at his minimum NHL salary with zero worry about cap. They also have a veteran to put with Bedard for one year. Our risk is Jones will not be a stud number one. Our reward is Jones is a stud number one.

I can’t see how it makes sense for us.
It’s wildly risky. If Seth Jones doesn’t get his game on track here, then we’ve traded 1 year of a boat anchor contract for 6 years of another boat anchor contract.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I hope not as hes part of the culture problem.

"We're right there" - end of season presser was incredibly dumb

You were close to winning a round....congrats...you need to win 4 of those.

Tavares is a problem but I think it's more due to contract than culture. He's just a very poor captain and fails to say anything meaningful. He seems to try the most out of the core tbh (not a high bar), he's just becoming more ineffective as he ages.

Although his contract is bad, I don't think he's the one management is referring to. Sure, he carries some of the blame and I'm sure as captain they expect him to be accountable, but I think the comments today were mainly pointing at Marner while also throwing a little bit of shade at the whole core.

Just my opinion, but I think they'll let his contract expire and re-sign him as the 3C while quietly giving the captaincy to someone else (after the current contract expires.)

Moving Marner just makes too much sense. They'll be able to rebuild their defence this offseason and then next offseason with money saved on JT and the cap increase they can fill out the top 6/9.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
L
I'd be down for that. Still a good player, but not what he once was, and not value for the money... the real question would be, just changing the player dynamics of the team, and the "leadership" voices, and for that reason, we might be better moving on...
I'd be down for that. Still a good player, but not what he once was, and not value for the money... the real question would be, just changing the player dynamics of the team, and the "leadership" voices, and for that reason, we might be better moving on...
I get that perspective, I don’t necessarily disagree. But, there’s flip sides here.
I think he’s been miscast here for the majority of his time. He’s historically at his best being the line leader. Elevate guys who will play in the trenches. We saw how he got rejuvenated playing with McMann and NickRob. How valuable could he be as a mentor for those guys on a third line….or Easton Cowan. Fraser Minten.
Taking that deal would be a real leader move, allow the captaincy to shift but still show he bleeds blue - money and role.
In FA, I’m sure he’s still worth a conservative 15 mil in FA.
I’d endorse it.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Marner can follow Keefe ro New Jersey.

Marner + Liljegren <--> Meier + Nemec + Holtz

🫰

Holtz and Nemec breakout and Meier returns to form it's a homerun for the Leafs.

Reactions: ToneDog

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
If we could get a 2c in the Marner deal or move Nylander to 2c, I'd be intrigued by a Cowan-Tavares-McMann line for a year.

Reactions: TMLAM34

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
What would Tavares return if we retain like 4m from his cap, so at 7m caphit ? At that cap, we should get a okay return.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Some big change would really revive my enthusiasm. The Carolina hurricanes are a team that are knocking on the door and not winning. We're ringing the doorbell and having the door slammed on us.

We need a fresh look. Don't need to trade the entire core away. I'll settle for 1 person. Not asking for much here. Just younger and cheaper

weems

Jul 3, 2008
FD odds on what we might do at the goalie position.

Screenshot (1422).png

Reactions: Kurtz

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If we could get a 2c in the Marner deal or move Nylander to 2c, I'd be intrigued by a Cowan-Tavares-McMann line for a year.
That’s basically the third line I got pencilled in heading into next season. Has a little bit of everything. Allows Cowan to ease into the lineup and not put too much pressure on him. Also gives JT two guys who can skate fairly well on his wings.

View attachment 868681
Wish we’d go after Saros ideally but not sure how realistic that is… Apparently Minnesota is willing to listen on Gustavsson and if they don’t need to retain any salary the cost would be lower, I’d look into that if Saros is a no go. Blackwood would be another option if the above two don’t work.

Reactions: weems

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

View attachment 868681

Give me Brossoit and Woll as the 1A/B, get an experienced #3G like this season then Hildeby as the #4G

I'm not using assets and tons of cap space going after an experienced goaltender when I have that many young goaltenders within the organization I'd be blocking

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hopefully they're bad enough to draft in the top 10 next season.

I’m really not sure how to realistically peg marners value

If he is a 1 year rental. Look what guentzel got. Then look what tkachuk got.

Look what got.

I’m thinking it’s

2-3rd line c cost controlled, controlled D and a 1st as a minimum.

1 for 1 player that fits a need that could extend like Theodore.

Probably a cheaper 30/30 prospect and a 1st.

Like a mercer/guenther 1st

Or a wright/mctavish

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

Look what got.

I’m thinking it’s

Or a wright/mctavish
He's a one-year rental, but the fact he's only owed $775k after July 1 should increase his value.

Reactions: aingefan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

View attachment 868681

Rittich wouldn't be a bad 3rd/4th stringer if the Leafs want more goaltending depth. Treliving knows him pretty well. Not sure he's good enough to carry a #1 spot for awhile if Woll gets injured though.

My bet will be 1 of Brossoit, Driedger or Kahkonen -- assuming there isn't a trade instead. They've had some decent stats over the years and have shown to be able to play ~30-40 games at the very least.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Look what got.

I’m thinking it’s

Or a wright/mctavish

My thinking is a pick in the teens, younger player with some NHL experience and some potential, a solid bottom 6 player and another late 1st or 2nd. I think this is a pretty conservative ask for Marner.

I put forth the idea of Philly 12th overall, Morgan Frost, Noah Cates, and 2025 Colorado 1st.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Look what got.

I’m thinking it’s

Or a wright/mctavish

This summer is a good time to trade Marner, as other teams could still balance their cap space compared to trading for him during the season. A package similar to the Tkachuk deal would work for the Leafs...ironically, Tre has the most recent experience to make that kind of trade.

I think Theodore is wishful thinking...Vegas doesn't need a player like Marner (they got their elite player in Eichel), and Theodore is too good.

McTavish from Ducks would be amazing...maybe McCann and Wright...but I'd love a young top pairing dman.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
McTavish would be a dream, I just don’t see Marner waiving and extending long term with Anaheim to make that actually happen. Otherwise a second line of Knies - McTavish - Nylander would be real dirty. Follow that with a third line of McMann - Tavares - Cowan and that’s a really good middle six.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Berube becomes the coach, I can see Marner for Parakyo plus picks and prospects for a deal.

horner

May 22, 2007
Brendan you f***ed up listening to Dubas.
You were a playoff warrier , the game hasn't changed, Dubas talked you in to his stupid ideas.
A rookie Dubas and Keefe should never had been hired , they were both learning on the job.
Trading a core piece should have happen 2 years ago.
Now you have tied Treliving hands to fix your mistakes .
This is all on you Shanny, you knew better coming from Detroit

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad