GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Maybe, but he was also pretty irrelevant on the Canucks where he wasn't surrounded by talent. And the Leafs D is a helluva lot closer to the Canucks a year or two ago than it os to the current Canes
seriously? he was a rookie and only played 18 games on a very bad team, of course he was irrelevant and not very good either, but, he's much better now.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Sign Tanev, Montour, and Zadorov. Trade Liljegren, Kampf, Jarnkrok for picks

Resign Domi 4yrs x 3.5 million

Trade Marner to Anaheim for McTavish++

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Mcmann-McTavish-Nylander
Grebyonkin-Tavares-Robertson
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly- Tanev
Zadorov-Montour
Benoit-McCabe

Reactions: supermann_98

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Mcmann-McTavish-Nylander
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly- Tanev
Zadorov-Montour
Benoit-McCabe
If McTavish can be a 2C for a contending team on a $900k contract, then there's zero chance anyone would trade him for one year of Marner on an $11M contract with a NMC. Let alone McTavish++

Reactions: Jmo89

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If McTavish can be a 2C for a contending team on a $900k contract, then there's zero chance anyone would trade him for one year of Marner on an $11M contract with a NMC. Let alone McTavish++
I think the whole idea of Marner waiving is that he would expect to go to a place where he would want to re-sign. I think the only western club he might be interested in is LA though or maybe Seattle. Edmonton and Vancouver would have no interest. Preds? Utah rolls out the red carpet for a marquee player? Because of his power I can't see him going to a place that would give the Leafs the best return. Its enough that he would be going, any kind of a solid return is a bonus.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Mcmann-McTavish-Nylander
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly- Tanev
Zadorov-Montour
Benoit-McCabe
Do we even practice a PK scheme or just send F pairs out to try and score?

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think the whole idea of Marner waiving is that he would expect to go to a place where he would want to re-sign. I think the only western club he might be interested in is LA though or maybe Seattle. Edmonton and Vancouver would have no interest. Preds? Utah rolls out the red carpet for a marquee player? Because of his power I can't see him going to a place that would give the Leafs the best return. Its enough that he would be going, any kind of a solid return is a bonus.

Minnesota makes sense, especially if Marner comes with a retained salary next year. 2024/25 is the last year of their big buy-out penalty for Suter/Parise, so they'll have like 7 million in cap space coming out of nowhere just in time for Marner's extension to kick in.

Not sure exactly what we'd want in return.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Minnesota makes sense, especially if Marner comes with a retained salary next year. 2024/25 is the last year of their big buy-out penalty for Suter/Parise, so they'll have like 7 million in cap space coming out of nowhere just in time for Marner's extension to kick in.

Not sure exactly what we'd want in return.
Minnesota doesn’t make sense. Cap issues aside, Guerin their gm wouldn’t want him. He doesn’t play players like marner and will not trade for players with 1 year left. You can look elsewhere. Minnesota would have zero interest

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Mcmann-McTavish-Nylander
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly- Tanev
Zadorov-Montour
Benoit-McCabe
lol Anaheim laughs and says no

Reactions: JKG33

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Yeah agree don't see Minny
so far these are the ones I think would work for all sides (including Marner waiving)
Marner for Zegras +
Marner for Saros +
Marner for PLD++

maybe Columbus for Sillinger or Johnson, Elvis + (Cuelemans?)

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Oh, I am.

If they go for him, it's something favorable to Lybushkin, for example. So maybe 2ish.
Generally I think of the term and AAV that makes sense for the team.
Then thanks to the open market I expect at least one more year and 1mil AAV.
I’d love Desharnais for 2mil for 3 years, will prolly take 3 for 4. At least. For example.

Cap rising will be a factor.

Now, in fairness, the cap is reigning some of this in, and GM’s are getting less loosey goosey with term….but it’ll still happen. Lots.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Maybe, but he was also pretty irrelevant on the Canucks where he wasn't surrounded by talent. And the Leafs D is a helluva lot closer to the Canucks a year or two ago than it os to the current Canes

I'd be thrilled with Tanev as a partner for Rielly. Just scared of what the contract will look like for a guy with a lot of hard milage
Tanev will have frequent flier point to Robidas Island, love his game, but too old and to injury prone even though he's stayed healthy of late...........

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Mcmann-McTavish-Nylander
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly- Tanev
Zadorov-Montour
Benoit-McCabe
love MacTavish's game, but he can't stay healthy.........

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
so far these are the ones I think would work for all sides (including Marner waiving)
Marner for Zegras +
Marner for Saros +
Marner for PLD++

Anaheim makes the most sense.

Maybe something like Mitch Marner and Timothy Liljegren for Trevor Zegras, Cam Fowler, and EMD's 1st round pick?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm not sure how well it'd work with the cap, but what about a Marner deal with Chicago for Jones + Hall (50% retained) + Leafs 2025 1st. Then re-sign Domi and sign Sean Walker.

Knies-Matthews-McMann
Hall-Domi-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Tavares-Robertson
Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar

McCabe-Jones
Rielly-Walker
Benoit-Liljgren

Marner for Zegras +
Marner for Saros +
Marner for PLD++

I wouldn't have any interest in Zegras. He's more of the same.. soft, entitled, one dimensional.

Marner for Saros could make sense for both sides if ROR and Schenn don't shit talk him to Trotz.

As a Kings fan depending on the plus I'd take that deal and run just to get outta PLD's contract (and then immediately walk away from Marner). Toronto wouldn't do that deal tho

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I also like the idea of Marner and Lil for Paryako and Buch but St Louis fans seemed to think that was crazy

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Maybe something like Mitch Marner and Timothy Liljegren for Trevor Zegras, Cam Fowler, and EMD's 1st round pick?

I know we all like our own ideas but I still think these are a great balance;

Marner

Marner and Liljegren for Cernak and Cirelli (TBL)
Marner for Kempe and Danault (LAK)
Marner, (1.5-2.5M retained), Holmberg for Theodore, Korczak 1st this year or 2025 2nd (VGK)
Marner for Keller & McBain (Utah)

Rielly

Rielly, Jarnkrok for Karlsson (2.5M retained) and 2025 4th (PIT)
Rielly for Weegar - He's a Western Canadian kid - 1.5 hr flight to Vancouver (CGY)
Rielly for Bjorkstrand (SEA)
Rielly for Soucy and/or Garland (VAN)

Tavares (assume all of these proposals after the Leafs pay his bonus)

Tavares for McBain (Utah)
Tavares for 2025th 2nd round pick (trade to Caps)
Tavares ( 3-4M retained) for Ryan Hartman & 2025 5th (Minnesota)
Tavares and OTT 7th 2024 for Hamonic, Forsberg & 2025 3rd (FLA) - this saves OTT real $

All of these give the player a chance to go to a new life style (sun), tax friendly place or competitive situation.

Whether or not these teams have mutual interest is another discussion entirely.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I'm not sure how well it'd work with the cap, but what about a Marner deal with Chicago for Jones + Hall (50% retained) + Leafs 2025 1st. Then re-sign Domi and sign Sean Walker.

Knies-Matthews-McMann
Hall-Domi-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Tavares-Robertson
Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar

McCabe-Jones
Rielly-Walker
Benoit-Liljgren

I wouldn't have any interest in Zegras. He's more of the same.. soft, entitled, one dimensional.

Marner for Saros could make sense for both sides if ROR and Schenn don't shit talk him to Trotz.

As a Kings fan depending on the plus I'd take that deal and run just to get outta PLD's contract (and then immediately walk away from Marner). Toronto wouldn't do that deal tho
I get the PLD hesitation but also remember him owning the leafs in a playoff series and being exactly the type of forward they need. Would depend on the plus for sure.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I get the PLD hesitation but also remember him owning the leafs in a playoff series and being exactly the type of forward they need. Would depend on the plus for sure.
Funny, thats exactly what I remembered too and why I was so excited when LA acquired him. Trust me when I say, his give a shit meter ain't anywhere near that now

I also like the idea of Marner and Lil for Paryako and Buch but St Louis fans seemed to think that was crazy
I don't blame them. The gap between Marner and Buch is a lot closer than the gap between Parayko and Liljgren

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Minnesota doesn’t make sense. Cap issues aside, Guerin their gm wouldn’t want him. He doesn’t play players like marner and will not trade for players with 1 year left. You can look elsewhere. Minnesota would have zero interest

lol Anaheim laughs and says no

Darn we have a mind reader here boys

Tell me, are you jedi? You must be since you seem to know Guerin's innermost thoughts

I wouldn't want to trade with Minnesota either, I like watching you boys wallow in mediocrity

We may suck but at least we get to the playoffs I guess

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Marner for Zegras +
Marner for Saros +
Marner for PLD++

wonder if PLD would accept an early invitation to a certain island? :sarcasm:

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Marner to vegas FOR theodore + thompson

That is the trade I am going for. Also gives you cap space to get pesce or tanev or montour or monahan or lindholm

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Do you think he would waive for a bottom 5 club though? I can't see it, unless Anaheim is much more of a destination than I understand it to be. Some places have cachet because of where they are like LA, NY, and to some Nashville. Maybe Fla if they find out they aren't retaining Reinhart. His list is going to be pretty short.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I am going to will this into existence.

1. Marner + Liljegren for Brady + Chychrun
2. 2x$4.5 mill AAV for Tanev.
3. 5x$5.5milll AAV for Roy.
4. 4x$3.5 AAV for Domi.

Rielly-Tanev
Chychrun-Roy
Benoit-McCabe

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marner to vegas FOR theodore + thompson

That is the trade I am going for. Also gives you cap space to get pesce or tanev or montour or monahan or lindholm
Yep. Something like that would work for sure.

Still looking at jersey/nyi.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Leafs may look to move off of Jarnkrok and Kampf if they’re serious about retaining Domi and attempting to keep Bertuzzi. Kampf does nothing that Holmberg can’t do. Jarnkrok is a fine player but he doesn’t show up offensively in the playoffs and with Dewar here we’ve got an in house replacement for him as well. Good chance Minten is on the team next season and Cowan could potentially be here as well.

Again, both fine enough players, not sure we need to dedicate $4.5 million worth of cap to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad