GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Career high 18 goals on 21% shooting .. he'll get paid for more than he probably brings, but he'd be a great 3rd/4th liner

If they move Jarnkrok, I'm more intrigued.
Hmm.. What I'd be curious about is how many of his shots come from around the net and the slot; when I've caught Van games, he seems to go the dirty spots and is around the net, so he could be a cheaper alternative to Bertuzzi.

Plus he's our own pick. Then get Verhaeghe back next summer.

Reactions: aingefan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A fantastic read from Petrielli. Evaluates the season really well, the overall last few years and what they need to focus on this off-season.

Reactions: sxvnert

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Marner-Bedard would be a great line in the regular season, until Mitch the Bitch returns to postseason form.

I don't get wanting to trade Rielly. The entire problem with him is save for a year of Jake Muzzin, the Leafs haven't had another top pairing D man. They currently only have 2 top 4 D as it is.

McCabe-Jones
Rielly-X
Benoit-Liljgren

That's a group where if you can get a Luke Schenn type has everyone in a proper place. Two top pairing guys you can put together when the going gets tough, two top 4 guys as their regular partner, and 2 bottom pair guys thatre no longer playing above where they should be
That is the point of trading Reilly he is paid like a top pair guy but always seems to need a guy to help him out. on the D side.

He can't shoot and our PP suffers for it. The PP was scorching hot when he was out with a suspension. Teams know he can't shoot so they sag and take away the cross seem and bumper plays

He's soft in his zone so for me getting 7.5 is way to high a price for him. He looks great 3 on 3 in OT cause there is so much space to skate and there is no physical play.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A fantastic read from Petrielli. Evaluates the season really well, the overall last few years and what they need to focus on this off-season.

Read the article

It gives pretty much the same conclusions a lot of people here have mentioned (both Pro Core and not Pro core)

Doesnt mention an actual plan to fix the short comings to our offense from the D, our lack of center depth, our unreliable/unavailable goaltending etc

Leafs are in a spot where we cant trade our promising young assets (Knies, Cowan, 2024 1st) yet we want to add better long term solutions to holes at 2C, 2LW, 1RD/2RD, 1G.

These type of players often unfortunately are not available via UFA. And if they do become available they are in their late 20s to early 30s wanting a long term deal which they may be worth 25-50% of the term.

Drafting isnt an option as we dont ha e high picks and basically no picks in 2025 either. That basically means an impact player in that group (2LW, 2C, 1RD, 2RD, 1G) wont be here until the late 2020s by which point Matthews likely isnt the same caliber of player he is now and our team will be up there in age

We may simply need to push whatever youth we have to higher roles this year

Cowan starts as 2C with Tavares (yuck) at wing for faceoffs and guidace

Knies plays 2LW full time this year with PP1 time

1RD --> no one really internally for this

2RD --> Can maybe give this to lilijgren along with PP1 time to see how he plays. Not very high on him but he should get one last season to show if he can become a 40+ pt RHD who can play defensively alright

1G --> Woll is the guy everyone wants but his body is brittle. Will probably have him as 1A next year but need a good 1B goalie who can give 30-40 starts

Our 2024 1st is hopefully a RD who can be either our 1RD or 2RD in 3 years timr or a promising goalie if there is one that high who can be our starter in 3 years time

Reactions: Rare Jewel

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I would love Jones but that contract is about 1.5 - 2 million too much.
If you like him, then that's not a big deal.

The contract is three years too long for me, and as a player, I'm not sure of the fit. It feels like he'll get Gardiner-esque treatment after a few off-games. because fans love to pick on D men here.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Read the article

It gives pretty much the same conclusions a lot of people here have mentioned (both Pro Core and not Pro core)

Doesnt mention an actual plan to fix the short comings to our offense from the D, our lack of center depth, our unreliable/unavailable goaltending etc

Leafs are in a spot where we cant trade our promising young assets (Knies, Cowan, 2024 1st) yet we want to add better long term solutions to holes at 2C, 2LW, 1RD/2RD, 1G.

These type of players often unfortunately are not available via UFA. And if they do become available they are in their late 20s to early 30s wanting a long term deal which they may be worth 25-50% of the term.

Drafting isnt an option as we dont ha e high picks and basically no picks in 2025 either. That basically means an impact player in that group (2LW, 2C, 1RD, 2RD, 1G) wont be here until the late 2020s by which point Matthews likely isnt the same caliber of player he is now and our team will be up there in age

1RD --> no one really internally for this

2RD --> Can maybe give this to lilijgren along with PP1 time to see how he plays. Not very high on him but he should get one last season to show if he can become a 40+ pt RHD who can play defensively alright

1G --> Woll is the guy everyone wants but his body is brittle. Will probably have him as 1A next year but need a good 1B goalie who can give 30-40 starts

Our 2024 1st is hopefully a RD who can be either our 1RD or 2RD in 3 years timr or a promising goalie if there is one that high who can be our starter in 3 years time
Do not know who said it but I agree Cowan and Minten should not be gifted a position on the big team until they have earned it in the AHL. Change the culture. How long did it take Kadri?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
That is the point of trading Reilly he is paid like a top pair guy but always seems to need a guy to help him out. on the D side.

He can't shoot and our PP suffers for it. The PP was scorching hot when he was out with a suspension. Teams know he can't shoot so they sag and take away the cross seem and bumper plays

He's soft in his zone so for me getting 7.5 is way to high a price for him. He looks great 3 on 3 in OT cause there is so much space to skate and there is no physical play.
The way salaries are, you're not finding a guy in that salary ballpark that's much if any better than Rielly.

I just don't get the Rielly hate. He's miscast as the only top pair D on this team. Look at every other contender, they all have at least 2 top pair guys except for maybe Dallas, and their depth everywhere else is insane.

My point is get another top pair guy in and suddenly Rielly as a #2 even at his cap hit is a great fit

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Like the post overall, but this part stood out. The "play the kids" idea is intriguing, but they're still going to need better insulation, I feel. We're not even sure if Cowan is ready, let alone to play center. This why whoever the GM is, re-signing Domi, who can cover C and W spots, is one of the first things you sort out this spring.

For me, if Cowan can grab a 3rd line wing spot, then he can stay. I don't think he'll play higher, and if he's on the 4th line, I'd rather him back in London.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Marner for Utah 6th overall or Seattle 8th overall straight up (maybe along with one of their lowest 2nds) would be the perfect trade. Then draft London Knights LD Sam Dickinson.

Reactions: supermann_98

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Marner for Utah 6th overall or Seattle 8th overall straight up (maybe along with one of their lowest 2nds) would be the perfect trade. Then draft London Knights LD Sam Dickinson.
In my mock, I had Marner for Wright + Seattle first. Bob's latest has Dickinson going higher than 8th unfortunately, as high as 5th on some teams lists. Seattle has a real need for a top RW, so I think it's a deal that works for both teams.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If the leafs choose not to make any big changes, they'll still have around $19M in cap space to sign Liljegren, Dewar, 2 top 4 defencemen, and a 1B goalie.

Personally, I don't think they shouldn't really consider a Marner trade unless some team is desperate to extend him and offer someone like Jordan Kyrou/Clayton Keller etc. If not, then the only choice here is to accept their lot as a dogshit, soft core and just wait for some draft picks to hit and find their own versions of Jason Robertson, Heiskanen and Ottenger when these losers are in their 30s.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
In my mock, I had Marner for Wright + Seattle first. Bob's latest has Dickinson going higher than 8th unfortunately, as high as 5th on some teams lists. Seattle has a real need for a top RW, so I think it's a deal that works for both teams.
If its Seattles 8th and Dickenson is taken (high probability) then its one of: Zeev Buium (LD) , Carter Yakemchuk (RD), Anton Silayev (LD) or a top forward. Either way adding a top prospect at this stage meshes well in this retool.

If the leafs choose not to make any big changes, they'll still have around $19M in cap space to sign Liljegren, Dewar, 2 top 4 defencemen, and a 1B goalie.

Personally, I don't think they shouldn't really consider a Marner trade unless some team is desperate to extend him and offer someone like Jordan Kyrou/Clayton Keller etc. If not, then the only choice here is to accept their lot as a dogshit, soft core and just wait for some draft picks to hit and find their own versions of Jason Robertson, Heiskanen and Ottenger when these losers are in their 30s.
Rather buy Marner out now vs a lame duck seasons with Marner as a malcontent and the media asking him daily about his next contract. The endless distraction would be a nightmare for the team and the fan base.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m not extremely high on Wright but I do think he can develop into a solid second line center eventually. I would try acquiring Wright, Borgen and their 1st for Marner.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’m not extremely high on Wright but I do think he can develop into a solid second line center eventually. I would try acquiring Wright, Borgen and their 1st for Marner.
I think a solid 2C is exactly our LT need here... He had a decent second half in the AHL last year, after disappointing some before that. The first could be used to draft a very good D man for the future as well. I'd be surprised if they added Borgen as well, but that would be a great trade for us.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What about an old fashioned hockey trade?

Byfield for Marner

Pretty sure that Mitch would waive for LA

Kings have a leadership group in place, so Blake might believe that Mitch could thrive there by just playing hockey. No A attached.

I know that he's not D or G, but we also need a 2/3C. From what I understand, Byfield did well when challenged in that roll this year. Definitely a different mold than the current core 4.

Not sure of his contract expectations, but would certainly be gaining cap space to funnel in to D and/or G

Add Pesce or Montour?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Byfield for Marner

Kings have a leadership group in place, so Blake might believe that Mitch could thrive there by just playing hockey. No A attached.

I know that he's not D or G, but we also need a 2/3C. From what I understand, Byfield did well when challenged in that roll this year. Definitely a different mold than the current core 4.

Not sure of his contract expectations, but would certainly be gaining cap space to funnel in to D and/or G

Add Pesce or Montour?
Can't see LA moving Byfield, personally. He's basically being groomed to take over for Kopitar when he retires.

Reactions: kinghock

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Power, Clarke, Chabot, Theodore are the only possibilities I see as the main piece for a Marner trade. Dobson no chance isles do that.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Can't see LA moving Byfield, personally. He's basically being groomed to take over for Kopitar when he retires.
I don't disagree. In a vacuum though, LA wins that trade.

Byfield at 2C and Mountour paired with Rielly would really change the style of this team. Byfield with Knies would be a nasty 2nd line.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If its Seattles 8th and Dickenson is taken (high probability) then its one of: Zeev Buium (LD) , Carter Yakemchuk (RD), Anton Silayev (LD) or a top forward. Either way adding a top prospect at this stage meshes well in this retool.

Rather buy Marner out now vs a lame duck seasons with Marner as a malcontent and the media asking him daily about his next contract. The endless distraction would be a nightmare for the team and the fan base.
Imagine the reception Marner gets from the fans in his first home games after the Leafs leak that he refused to waive his NMC. It may take time, but he will soften and waive.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Byfield for Marner

Add Pesce or Montour?
Wouldnt mind it all, but I dont think LA touches that.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
A 'brand name' player like Byfield or Jones might make a Marner trade more palatable to the fan base, but I think it’s the opposite approach we should be taking. We need a GM who can identify the next Forsling, William Karlsson, Marchessault, Toews, Nichushkin etc. Before they break out. Unfortunately, Treliving seems like a guy who targets the brand names (Reaves, Klingberg, Domi, Bertuzzi), so I don’t expect any diamonds in the rough.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Deal would be have to be made past July 1st but would a Marner (extended) for Saros (extended) and a little + from Nashville side (There roster players are pretty meh/unsexy, but they do have a lot of draft capital) be of interest to anyone?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

I posted this earlier, but the logical smarter step would be extending Marner and waiting to make bigger changes to the team once JT contract is off the books. It seems short sighted to walk away from a PPG winger when the biggest issue of flexibility solves itself in a years time.

Paying 3 players around 35% (13.25, 11.5m, 12m~) of the cap when its at 92m (cap friendly projection for 2025-2026) looks a lot better and gives you money to actually build a team with depth.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I posted this earlier, but the logical smarter step would be extending Marner and waiting to make bigger changes to the team once JT contract is off the books. It seems short sighted to walk away from a PPG winger when the biggest issue of flexibility solves itself in a years time.

Paying 3 players around 35% (13.25, 11.5m, 12m~) of the cap when its at 92m (cap friendly projection for 2025-2026) looks a lot better and gives you money to actually build a team with depth.
There are 3 options

1. Let him walk for nothing
2. Trade him
3. Sign him

As Mirtle said today, option 3 might be the worst option. I agree.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
There are 3 options

1. Let him walk for nothing
2. Trade him
3. Sign him

As Mirtle said today, option 3 might be the worst option. I agree.
Option 1 is the worst option. Rather trade him for something and I would rather keep his 100points a year then lose him for nothing but money.

I don't think people understand either yet what BT/Shanahan will do with the extra money they get. Having money in free agency is a scary thing for fans. Are we going to see more bad free agent signings like Raves/Klingberg/Kampf? -- Wait till you toss out big money and term to a lesser player and it bites you in the ass.

Domi/Bert were good signings for the team, but wasn't really a win with them because they are back to square 1 with em.

Reactions: thinkblue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad