GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A couple different Marner offers from a pair of Seattle fans, assuming Marner would extend with them

Bjorkstrand+2025 1st + 2024 NYR 2nd + Nyman/Goyette/Sale
Bjorkstrand + Oleksiak + 2024 40th ovr + Nyman + Goyette

Option 2 could maybe have Larsson instead of Oleksiak

Some will not like the quarter and dime nature, but there's a lot of value there. Rehkopf is the prospect I would want but they were stingy on him. Push comes to shove, if either came to pass I wouldn't hate it.

In any case, a pleasant reminder that the main board trolls saying he's a cap dump aren't the prevailing opinion in the hockey world.

That first return is solid value. Bjorkstrand is a good 50-60 point winger that can give us good mid line scoring depth. The 2025 pick is a good bet, even if it's likely top 5/10 protected. Adding a 2nd rounder is always good with this scouting staff. Goyette would be a good prospect addition. I don't know much about Nyman, but Sale struggled in the OHL this year. Cutting our cap space by 50% with this but not taking that big of a step back assuming they can spend that 5M in a good way.

The 2nd one is still ok but I'm not very high on Oleksiak for our needs.

Last edited:

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Had anyone heard about the Seth Jones speculatuon just posted on the main boards? Now that's a guy I'd be excited for
Unless Chicago is willing to eat some of his salary there isn’t much there to get excited about, do I take Jones at 6-7 million? Yes 9.5 is rough.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Had anyone heard about the Seth Jones speculatuon just posted on the main boards? Now that's a guy I'd be excited for
Everyone's soured on Jones. But people don't realize how good he is when he's on a good team. He's exactly the guy we need.

Reactions: JKG33

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Everyone's soured on Jones. But people don't realize how good he is when he's on a good team. He's exactly the guy we need.

They soured on him because he's horrible at his cap hit. The last thing this team needs is another overpaid inefficient player that just doesn't move the needle. He's signed until 2030. It's an insane idea to even suggest. If he had 1 or 2 years left on his deal then maybe it kind of makes sense but at his current cap hit and term, I struggle to even come up with a way to add him for free.

Last edited:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Would you guys do Marner for Buchnevich + Parayko + pick/prospect?

I know it's not full value but I think realistically he'll get 0.75 cents on the dollar. Also Brad seems to like 1 for 2 trades (Tkachuk, Hamilton, etc).

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
he actually blows lol aim for better
Jones would be good as a stay at home guy paired with Rielly. His style of play and skillset would make him much better if paired with an equally good or better puck mover / offense guy like Rielly. I think he would be a VERY good fit on our blueline. The issues are (a) that yeah his contract runs for 6 more years, and he might slow down a lot and be overpaid a lot in the last 1 or 2 years, and (b) the cap hit is too high. The good news here is that the cap is going up, and people freaking out about paying $9.5m for Jones are making it out to be a bigger problem than it really is. A top pairing of Rielly - Jones for $16.5m on the cap as the cap rises a lot in the next few years won't be a big issue. Only if and when Jones slows down and becomes overpaid a lot in probably 2028 / 2029.

freshftted67

May 6, 2024
My Dream off-season:

(Looking forward to the hate)

TRADE 1
Utah Yetis Receive:
Auston Matthews
Cap out: 13.25M

Toronto Maple Leafs Receive:
Josh Doan, Logan Cooley, Dylan Guenther, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd (TOR)
Cap In: 2.769M

Total cap change (Gained 10.481M cap space)

TRADE 2
Columbus Blue Jackets Receive:
Mitch Marner
Cap Out: 10.9M

Boone Jenner
David Jiricek
Cap IN: 4.6683M

Total cap change: (Gained 6.2317M Cap space)

UFAS OUT:
>Samsonov (3.55)
>Lyubushkin (0.6875)
>Giordano (0.8)
>Brodie (5.0)
>Domi (3.0)
>Bertuzzi (5.5)
Total: (Gained 18.5375M Cap space)

Buy out/Get Rid of:
>Reaves
>Kampf
>Jarnkrok

UFAs in:

Sam Reinhart (9.5M?)
Dylan Demelo (4.5M?)
Chandler Stephenson????

Reinhart - Stephenson - Nylander
Knies - Cooley - Guenther
Robertson - Tavares - Jenner
McMann - Cowan - Gregor
Doan

Rielly - Demelo
McCabe - Liljegren
Jiricek - Timmins
Edmundson

Woll
(Backup)

Come on haters - whatchya got? Let's blow this F*****ing team apart...

Marner ... Matthews.... They both have no playoff gear - no extra gear - chuck em both and let's see what we can get in return - restock the cupboards - young talent

In before "They have NMCs" --- I know.... This is just a dream scenario

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid and JKG33

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
My Dream off-season:

TRADE 1
Utah Yetis Receive:
Auston Matthews

TRADE 2
Mitch Marner

Boone Jenner
David Jiricek

UFAS OUT:
>Samsonov (3.55)
>Lyubushkin (0.6875)
>Giordano (0.8)
>Brodie (5.0)
>Domi (3.0)
>Bertuzzi (5.5)

Buy out/Get Rid of:
>Reaves
>Kampf
>Jarnkrok

UFAs in:

Sam Reinhart (9.5M?)
Dylan Demelo (4.5M?)
Chandler Stephenson????

McMann - Cowan - Gregor
Doan

Rielly - Demelo
McCabe - Liljegren
Jiricek - Timmins
Edmundson

Woll
(Backup)

Marner ... Matthews.... They both have no playoff gear - no extra gear - chuck em both and let's see what we can get in return - restock the cupboards - young talent

you just turned us into a lottery team :(

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Would you guys do Marner for Buchnevich + Parayko + pick/prospect?

I know it's not full value but I think realistically he'll get 0.75 cents on the dollar. Also Brad seems to like 1 for 2 trades (Tkachuk, Hamilton, etc).
I'd take it and run. I doubt St Louis would

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I remember reading this in the advanced stats forum this season

Screenshot (1418).png

Reactions: jaric1862 and JKG33

Shak19

Oct 31, 2007
Toronto
I wonder what if we retain ~2.5 million of Tavares contract and find a broker to retain another ~2.5 (pay the 1st rd pick, a team like San Jose) and trade him for some picks/prospects and use the capspace elsewhere, like on Bertuzzi & Domi

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I remember reading this in the advanced stats forum this season

View attachment 865983

No offense to the analytics crowd but when you watch Seth Jones play it’s eye popping what an all-tool defenseman he is. His problem isn’t that he sucks or isn’t an NHL player, it’s where he’s been lately and also some lingering questions about his compete level etc.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's a LW. The Kings tried him earlier in his career at Center and it failed.

Another thing about him is he penalty kills pretty well. He would just take Marner's spot on the kill.

I think I would be looking at VGK, Carolina, Dallas, Rangers, Islanders, Seattle, New Jersey, Buffalo, Anaheim, Detroit, Vancouver as places you could maybe line up a Marner trade.

Either a rebuilder looking to take the next step or a flawed playoff team (many of those teams in the second round will lose) could use a skill and offensive injection with other strengths in surplus.

freshftted67

May 6, 2024
you just turned us into a lottery team :(
Lol maybe :naughty: - but the team we have now isn't gonna win the cup... (we've tried it 5 different ways - with the same guys - they don't have the stuff)

So I think I'd rather watch these guys :thumbu:

Matthews + Marner = 95 goals + 97 assists

Reinhart + Cooley + Guenther = 95 goals + 78 assists

(and Cooley + Guenther are only gonna get better) plus this is reuniting Cooley and Knies's dominant college line)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Here's the roster that I'm starting from next year.

__________ - Auston Matthews - __________
Matthew Knies - __________ - William Nylander
Bobby McMann - John Tavares - Calle Jarnkrok
Pontus Holmberg - David Kampf - __________
Ryan Reaves

__________ - __________
Morgan Rielly - __________
Simon Benoit - Jake McCabe
Cade Webber

30 million in cap space to fill those holes.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Lol maybe :naughty: - but the team we have now isn't gonna win the cup... (we've tried it 5 different ways - with the same guys - they don't have the stuff)

So I think I'd rather watch these guys :thumbu:

Matthews + Marner = 95 goals + 97 assists

Reinhart + Cooley + Guenther = 95 goals + 78 assists

(and Cooley + Guenther are only gonna get better) plus this is reuniting Cooley and Knies's dominant college line)
lol Arizona isn’t trading Gunther or Cooley! Beyond wishful thinking! Come on now be serious

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
There is 0 goalies on the UFA market. I know going back to Sammy is not an option, but who do you get?

Here is the top 5:
  1. Cam Talbot
  2. Anthony Stolarz
  3. Alex Nedeljkovic
  4. Kaapo Kahkonen
  5. James Reimer

Like it's pretty bleak on that department

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
They soured on him because he's horrible at his cap hit. The last thing this team needs is another overpaid inefficient player that just doesn't move the needle. He's signed until 2030. It's an insane idea to even suggest. If he had 1 or 2 years left on his deal then maybe it kind of makes sense but at his current cap hit and term, I struggle to even come up with a way to add him for free.
Reminds me a Darnell Nurse situation, paid as a high end d-man in the league, but more of a #3/#4. Toronto needs to avoid paying top dollar for a player and not getting the proper value from the player.

If you're going to take on 9m+ dman, they better make sure he can do everything.. PP/PK/defend/move the puck etc.

Still Think Toronto deeply messed up by not clearing the cap space and taking a run at Petroangelo when he hit FA.

Reactions: aingefan

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
My Dream off-season:

TRADE 1
Utah Yetis Receive:
Auston Matthews

TRADE 2
Mitch Marner

Boone Jenner
David Jiricek

UFAS OUT:
>Samsonov (3.55)
>Lyubushkin (0.6875)
>Giordano (0.8)
>Brodie (5.0)
>Domi (3.0)
>Bertuzzi (5.5)

Buy out/Get Rid of:
>Reaves
>Kampf
>Jarnkrok

UFAs in:

Sam Reinhart (9.5M?)
Dylan Demelo (4.5M?)
Chandler Stephenson????

McMann - Cowan - Gregor
Doan

Rielly - Demelo
McCabe - Liljegren
Jiricek - Timmins
Edmundson

Woll
(Backup)

lmao this team would miss the playoffs every year.

I'd take it and run. I doubt St Louis would
St Louis would run to the bank to get rid of that awful Parayko contract while his back degenerates

• Haha

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A couple different Marner offers from a pair of Seattle fans, assuming Marner would extend with them

Bjorkstrand+2025 1st + 2024 NYR 2nd + Nyman/Goyette/Sale
Bjorkstrand + Oleksiak + 2024 40th ovr + Nyman + Goyette

Option 2 could maybe have Larsson instead of Oleksiak

Some will not like the quarter and dime nature, but there's a lot of value there. Rehkopf is the prospect I would want but they were stingy on him. Push comes to shove, if either came to pass I wouldn't hate it.

In any case, a pleasant reminder that the main board trolls saying he's a cap dump aren't the prevailing opinion in the hockey world.
The first deal is a beauty

Nyman or Sale would be really good adds (similar to Knies after his d+1 type prospects in terms of value and outlook)

2025 1st being realistic should be in 18-25 range so a nice solid addition

A 2nd in this years draft finally lets us avoid trading down to get another pick which we do always. Can targer who we want at 23 and potentially move up a few spots if there is a faller who is available

Bjorkstad is a good 50-60 pt player with a good motor and 2way game.

This is a very good deal and in line with Id say previous star wingers who got dealt like Rick Nash to NYR

Reactions: 4thline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad