Confirmed with Link: Trade with the Washington Capitals, Beck Malenstyn for 2nd round (#43)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Bwahaha ok bud. Maybes ifs and buts

Jeannot for a 2nd and a 4th
Would you have wanted to trade Johan Larsson for a 3rd in 2018? I wouldn't have.

There is zero incentive for teams to trade their good botttom six forwards if they are on good contracts. You have to pony up to pry them away, that is what this is.

Personally I am reserving judgement on the move until I see the player play in Ruff's system. The bottom six is better today than it was yesterday. Is it enough better to justify the opportunity cost lost of the player they could have drafted at 43? That is yet to be determined, but complaining about it before we know is unproductive.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Forton very candid on who they missed out on.

I'm assuming one of the F's was Basha and one was Koivu. No idea on the G he "just missed" in the fourth, the last G taken before 108/109 was Jakub Milota at #99.

Kaleta was mentioned above, but I think it's more Ruff's M.O. to have a sheriff on the 4th line who can also "play a role" as Adams put it, like a Gaustad or Marcus Foligno. The loss of those guys was more impactful than it seemed like it would be at the time; maybe this addition will be the same in reverse.

Reactions: old kummelweck

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Overall, I'm fine with this pickup. It's an overpay in my eyes, but relatively low risk because it's a 4th liner and only a 2nd round pick.

While he brings speed, grit, and physicality to our bottom 6, which we badly need, I would have preferred a guy with those qualities who also has a track record of being effective. Not saying he can't be good for us, but there are players available who I already know would be good for us because they've been good in the role for multiple years.

Screenshot_20240629_192700_Sheets.jpg

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Would you have wanted to trade Johan Larsson for a 3rd in 2018? I wouldn't have.

There is zero incentive for teams to trade their good botttom six forwards if they are on good contracts. You have to pony up to pry them away, that is what this is.

Personally I am reserving judgement on the move until I see the player play in Ruff's system. The bottom six is better today than it was yesterday. Is it enough better to justify the opportunity cost lost of the player they could have drafted at 43? That is yet to be determined, but complaining about it before we know is unproductive.
I get this but we traded for his rights, he still needs to be signed.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Overall, I'm fine with this pickup. It's an overpay in my eyes, but relatively low risk because it's a 4th liner and only a 2nd round pick.

While he brings speed, grit, and physicality to our bottom 6, which we badly need, I would have preferred a guy with those qualities who also has a track record of being effective. Not saying he can't be good for us, but there are players available who I already know would be good for us because they've been good in the role for multiple years.

View attachment 889735

Is your opinion on him not being effective based on that chart/stats or watching him?

And I don’t mean that to be rude, there seems to be a disconnect between the charts and people who watched him last year

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Is your opinion on him not being effective based on that chart/stats or watching him?
I have watched him play both in Hershey and in Washington, but didn't focus that much on him specifically to act like I've scouted him or know a lot about him. When I said "effective", I was referring to his charts, which don't show the kind of underlying results I'd like to see. For example, I'd hope to see a better PK number for a guy we are going to use on the PK.

As I said, I'm not drawing any conclusions about what he can do for us, or even saying that I don't like acquiring him. I'm simply saying he doesn't have a track record of being super effective according to the metrics and there are players out there that bring the same things he brings but do have that track record as well.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

View attachment 889735

It's been laid out that that he was buried in d-zone use. This wasn't someone getting easy assignments, it was among the worst defensive deployment ratios in the entire league. The charts only give context and when guys get pummeled with 5-on-5 deployment in their own zone over 80%, and in this case over 90%, it isn't because they are bad defensively, it's because they are in their own zone constantly while six other players are getting the offensive bulk of deployment.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I get this but we traded for his rights, he still needs to be signed.
Ok, but the point is that he is not on a really bad contract, which is typically the only time good bottom six players are available. Good bottom six guys that aren't being grossly overpaid are rarely ever available, so you have to pay a premium to acquire one, which is what happened today.

Professor Chaos

May 1, 2018
Gotham
ICANT

I don't care about the trade, I care that Washington gave a 2nd to get Mangipane and then got a 2nd back to move out a 4th liner. A 2nd for a top 9 two way player and then got a 2nd for a 4th liner with 8 goals in 100 something games played.

The only thing that can make me ok now is if Adams says he tried to talk to Mangiapane and he said no.
So many flavors and you ALWAYS choose salty...Mangiapane, while a good two way player, has a cap hit of $5.8 MM...No thanks...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hi, Caps fan here! Not gonna try to convince you guys this was good value, but just wanted to chime in on the models that hate Beck. I wrote a post on the Caps board about a month ago about why that is and why they're wrong, so I'll post that here in case anyone's interested.

There's no way the Caps would've traded Beck for a 4th. This wasn't a guy they were shopping, no Caps fans expected him to be moved, and they don't have anyone in the system waiting in the wings to fill the same role. The Caps this past year had a top 9 with nothing but defensively irresponsible centers, so they leaned on their "4th" line to handle the entire defensive load. In practice, the "4th" line was 2nd or 3rd in ice time every night. That line flew under the radar of national attention because the only thing anyone watches the Caps for nowadays is Ovie, but they dragged the Caps to the playoffs, and based on the moves the Caps have made so far they were banking on it doing the same thing again this year.

This trade only happened because the Sabres wowed the Caps with an offer for a guy they didn't want to move. I guarantee you a "fair value" offer of a 4th or even a 3rd would not have been enough for the Caps to say yes.

The first one.

Thanks for visiting! Hopefully some of the naysayers will see this.

View attachment 889735

This isn’t capturing the role he played at all. Guy was playing probably among the toughest defensive matchup role of any forward in the NHL. He’s a very strong defensive addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad