Confirmed with Link: Trade with the Washington Capitals, Beck Malenstyn for 2nd round (#43)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
1719678207082.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd also like to say, I did mention that 4th liners who bring a certain skillset can get premium value. I referred to Goose as to why Jeannot may get a 2nd round pick, which really wasn't a great comparison, but still- a 4th line of misfits gets you cratered in. A 4th line that plays the body, gets heavy D zone matchups, and can hold their own can be a difference maker in the playoffs.

A line that gets ridiculous d-zone use was what happened with the Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo line and I would bet that looking at this, people who hated Larsson are also going to come down hard on hating Malenstyn.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Except thats tampering to say that
I'm not sure it works like that, its not exceptionally rare that teams get players to waive NTC's by selling them on the team and their position in the organisation. From what I understand is it works like how a lawyer works, you lay down your argument to the agent and the agent passes it onto the player. Now I believe there has to be an initial deal with Calgary already in place before the previous process to work.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yea it’s probably bad value. And we probably had to pay a premium because of the inactivity of the past two years and a failure to acquire these types of players before. That’s in KA.

But if the player ends up filling that role, then oh well, I’m fine with it

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
A line that gets ridiculous d-zone use was what happened with the Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo line and I would bet that looking at this, people who hated Larsson are also going to come down hard on hating Malenstyn.

Only if we try and pu5 Malenstyn in top 6

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Beck had 8% ozone starts this past year, and STILL put up 20 ES points. That’s honestly incredible. I don’t know if there is another player in the league with those splits. He has middle 6 upside, which is nothing like Robinson. People who think he is replacing Robinson are selling him short. He is similar to greenway than Robinson
I don’t even hate the guy, but the over expectations fans are putting on a guy that was inconsistent through the season and at a time where we should be looking to upgrade the production from our bottom 6 players, I think fans should understand that there are those that view this as a massive overpayment for his abilities. Giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy that is a RFA that needs a new contract.

This deal just shows the league knows they have Adams bent over in terms of leverage.

For those Justifying the pick because the “Sabres got their guy they targeted” is not the flex or positive spin they think it does.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
The people saying "Oh we could have had Mangiapane" baffle me. Mangiapane is a good middle 6 winger, but he makes close to 6 million per and very likely wants the same or more long term. That's a lot to pay for a guy who is still riding a season and a half where he had an unsustainable 20% shooting. The past 2 seasons his shooting percentage dropped to a much more average range and more concerning is last season his shot generation also dropped substantially. He went from shooting 20% and 19% to 9% and 11.5%. If people felt he was closer to the 20% shooter from 3 years ago he would have garnered far more than a 2nd, and Calgary wouldn't have traded him for so little.

As for Malestyn, he checks most of the boxes for a bottom 6 player. He also fits a mold the Sabres desperately needed. Maybe they overpaid to get him, but maybe they see more in him. Remember everyone saying what a terrible trade it was for Greenway and we overpaid for him? How did that work out?

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I don’t even hate the guy, but the over expectations fans are putting on a guy that was inconsistent through the season and at a time where we should be looking to upgrade the production from our bottom 6 players, I think fans should understand that there are those that view this as a massive overpayment for his abilities. Giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy that is a RFA that needs a new contract.

This deal just shows the league knows they have Adams bent over in terms of leverage.

For those Justifying the pick because the “Sabres got their guy they targeted” is not the flex or positive spin they think it does.
We obviously have a different view of the player, as I think he is an upgrade on several of our bottom six players. Don’t be shocked if he is better than greenway this year

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He's played one year in the NHL and in that year he got started in the defensive zone NINETY PERCENT OF THE TIME.

Of course his fancy stats are going to look like shit.
I get it, those 1% attack metrics are probably due to his huge amount of DZ starts? Although I was hoping he would be better on PK.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
As for Malestyn, he checks most of the boxes for a bottom 6 player. He also fits a mold the Sabres desperately needed. Maybe they overpaid to get him, but maybe they see more in him. Remember everyone saying what a terrible trade it was for Greenway and we overpaid for him? How did that work out?
But is he better than Robinson? I'm not sure yet.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
So he kind of sounds like a player the sabres traded a few years back.... Marcus Foligno but without the name recognition and NHL experience

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2