Speculation: Trade Speculation Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Conerik is gone by next year, and Zidlicky walks which he should, then we'll only need to replace 1 of them.

I could see us re signing Harrold as the 7th. Maybe he might wanna go somewhere else though since he's not getting playing time here.

Urbom could be the 7th, but Gelinas I think would be full time if anything. Zid will probably walk, and that's fine. He's too much money to re sign when we can do it for cheaper. Just like we can get rid of Conerik, and replace him with somebody cheap.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I've only seen one or two say he's untouchable, the rest of the board are just wary of trading our best prospect because what he has the potential to do/be. That's all it is right now, potential, but he has a much higher chance of turning into something great than our other defensive prospects (Gelinas, Urbom and so on). I think most of us would at least want to see what he can do with Albany.

And we need to get younger on the blueline considering the age of some of our D-men. Zidlicky, Salvador and Tallinder aren't getting any younger and two of them are probably gone pretty soon. Then our d prospects will hopefully be ready to step in and be given the chance to show what they can do.

You let Merrill, Gelinas and Urbom battle it out for one/two spots and trade whomever becomes expendable.

Said it perfectly!

Its not about what he has done on the college leave its the potential he has. His ceiling is higher then them anyone in out system on the blue line not named Larrson. I wouldnt say he is untouchable not at all. I do see and understand the thought of people not wanting to move him for a older player, and requesting a young more controllable player if possible.

Fact of the matter is none of us have any idea what is value is. All it takes is one GM to over value him as a prospect and Lou walks away with a steal of a trade.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
At this point, Merrill's value is pretty low: Played barely anything last year due to suspension, played a little for Team USA this year, and played a little for an underachieving UM team while posting 'meh' stats. Even if he is our best prospect, he hasn't shown much since his Freshman year to tell other GMs that he is worth being considered a major component for one of their major roster players (UFA or not).

He needs a solid year of NCAA/AHL to demonstrate that his value is still where we hope it is.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I don't know. I suppose I just have this fear of Merrill being this overhyped college player that turns out to be nothing. Can we really be sure that this kid is going to be a stud? I'd sell high on him. His value to me is at the point where GMs can be convinced that they are getting potentially a top four defenseman.

Also with Urbom, Gelinas and Burlon...you can also argue that Merill is expendable.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know. I suppose I just have this fear of Merrill being this overhyped college player that turns out to be nothing. Can we really be sure that this kid is going to be a stud? I'd sell high on him. His value to me is at the point where GMs can be convinced that they are getting potentially a top four defenseman.

Also with Urbom, Gelinas and Burlon...you can also argue that Merill is expendable.

I think Merrill makes those guys expendable. Or at least Urbom, and Gelinas. That's part of a prospect though. No one knows who will pan out.

Remember when Tedenby was being touted as the best player in the first round of his draft year behind Stamkos?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think Merrill makes those guys expendable. Or at least Urbom, and Gelinas. That's part of a prospect though. No one knows who will pan out.

Remember when Tedenby was being touted as the best player in the first round of his draft year behind Stamkos?

no..

apice3*

I would just like to know why Merrill is being tagged as a untouchable. What has he done at the college level that has everyone, or close to everyone, so convinced we walked out of that draft with the biggest steal of all.

He's not literally untouchable. As I've said before, there is only one untouchable player in the NHL and that is Crosby. But in terms of players with no NHL experience, the kid is as close to untouchable as it gets.

This kid is literally everything you've belittled Lou for years for not getting. He has elite, yes elite potential if he keeps his head on straight. He is a PP QB, a PMD, and he's very good in his own end as well. This kid can be a minute eater at the NHL level if he pans out.

If we trade him for an unsigned rental, we will regret it down the road, I promise you.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Haha believe me I remember distinctly a few scouting reports on him as the most gifted offensive talent behind Stamkos. Even reports of a SOLID two way game.

I remember him being ranked as the 5th best European prospect.

I also remember being livid that we missed out on Carlson. (like nearly everyone else on here I'm sure.)

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember him being ranked as the 5th best European prospect.

I also remember being livid that we missed out on Carlson. (like nearly everyone else on here I'm sure.)

I'm still most livid that St Louis got our pick in 2006, and we got Carolina's. We could have had Patrik Berglund. Instead we drafted that corpse Matt Corrente. Dude is ready to turn into a trash can Dipietro style. Then again I still think Lou would have drafted a defensemen in the first round that year even if we picked in the 20s, and not Carolina's pick at 30th.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You guy think there is any chance Tallinder came to Lou/DeBoer and said basically," Either play me or trade me."

I don't know how well a 33 year old veteran would take being sat five consecutive games. I'm sure he had to say something along those lines. Either I'm in your plans for this season, or trade me to another team who will play me.

Just speculation, but that could explain the Devils playing him these past couple games.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You guy think there is any chance Tallinder came to Lou/DeBoer and said basically," Either play me or trade me."

I don't know how well a 33 year old veteran would take being sat five consecutive games. I'm sure he had to say something along those lines. Either I'm in your plans for this season, or trade me to another team who will play me.

It's very possible, and worth looking at that way. Someone will say to this that ''Lou don't take orders for any player'' but if he thought that he could get a better deal from him at a later time, then it would make sense.

apice3*

If Tallinder said "play me or trade me" to DeBoer and DeBoer played him, he should resign from position and let Tallinder call the shots.

Tallinder probably asked for one last chance to prove himself and DeBoer agreed that with two weak opponents coming up in a short amount of time, that Fayne could use a rest and we can see what Tallinder has. I think he will be traded regardless.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Tallinder said "play me or trade me" to DeBoer and DeBoer played him, he should resign from position and let Tallinder call the shots.

Tallinder probably asked for one last chance to prove himself and DeBoer agreed that with two weak opponents coming up in a short amount of time, that Fayne could use a rest and we can see what Tallinder has. I think he will be traded regardless.

I doubt he stormed up to them, and gave them the ultimatum. Though I could very well see it being possible that he went about it in a more professional way though.

Fayne played a couple crap games, but nothing worth a benching. There's only a benching because of all these defensemen anyway. If Tallinder would GTFO or Sal was never re signed we wouldn't be saying ''Well sit Volch! Sit Sal! Get Harrold into the lineup!'' after every game.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Well if he said that, then the Devils will clearly be forced to play him so that his trade value goes up.

No one wants to trade for a player after he's been a healthy scratch for five games. You throw him in there to hopefully up his value. I didn't mean it how you interpreted it.

It was more of a "If I'm in your plans then keep me here, but if not, get rid of me" kind of scenario.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I would flip Merrill for Kuznetsov but I don't think that they would. They want help immediately and I doubt Tallinder and the rest of voltron would do it or make sense for a team looking to compete now.

Why would we do that? It doesn't make us better immediately now either, and there's really no reason to bail on Merrill unless it is improving the team for a playoff run.

It boggles my mind how a 21 year old prospect, whitout playing a single second of pro hockey, can be labeled as untouchable.

Larsson would be considered a untouchable IMO, Merrill isn't even in the same league as Adam and he's almost a year and half younger then him.

He's not untouchable, but he is worth a lot to us and very little to everyone else in the league. He has high potential but low trade value. Guys like that don't get traded. You'd have a hard time convincing me that any rental short of Perry is worth giving up Merrill.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Right, it's a bit like baseball: no prospect is truly "untouchable" (with incredibly rare exceptions), but if you have a high-end, high-potential prospect, then obviously your hope is that the kid can be a long term presence on your big league roster, an impact player with staying power.

That being the case, then the majority of the time you only trade a prospect like Merrill if you're essentially guaranteed a return of another player/players who have that same kind of potential, and have already demonstrated they can play in the big leagues. You don't deal high-end talent like that for rentals, you deal high-end talent like that for somebody who's in his prime and willing and able to stay around for a long time. Since we're not likely to find that, why think about trading Merrill now?

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
When is the Trade-Deadline this year?

so, for me, there are those players i would like to see becoming Devils...and who are, I BELIEVE, available to trade...

1) Setoguchi. Like him. Top6 RW. lost in Minnesota, would find his wheels again with Henrique or Zajac as center and would learn to play D in NJ as Kovi did, too...should become a pretty complete player then

2) Weiss. Good Center, should be available. should boost our bottom 6.

3) St. Louis would really be nice, but i dont see him leave TB

4) Matt D'Agostini, good RW to play bottom 6. has potential to play top 6 IMO.

5) Logan Couture. perfect C. but i dont see him leave SJ.

and, for me, i think to get them, we can trade Tallinder, maybe Barch and Pick(s)

Semak

When is the Trade-Deadline this year?

so, for me, there are those players i would like to see becoming Devils...and who are, I BELIEVE, available to trade...

1) Setoguchi. Like him. Top6 RW. lost in Minnesota, would find his wheels again with Henrique or Zajac as center and would learn to play D in NJ as Kovi did, too...should become a pretty complete player then

2) Weiss. Good Center, should be available. should boost our bottom 6.

3) St. Louis would really be nice, but i dont see him leave TB

4) Matt D'Agostini, good RW to play bottom 6. has potential to play top 6 IMO.

5) Logan Couture. perfect C. but i dont see him leave SJ.

and, for me, i think to get them, we can trade Tallinder, maybe Barch and Pick(s)

Love your enthusiasm but we have to be realistic here. Half the guys I like, the other are a bit unrealistic. Barch has no trade value.

NJD is in a bit of a tough spot for dealing. 1st round picks are practically untouchable for the next two drafts. Sure, you could trade one but then the other one has to be forfeited. On the roster, aside from Tallinder, not much to trade and unless the league gets desperate, I don't expect him to net them a top 6 fwd. All you have left are prospects who haven't proved they can play in the show (JJ, Tedenby and all the Junior/College Dmen). Not much there in terms of value unless a bottom feeder team bites on an unproven package deal.

I think the idea of bringing in a viable top 6 player who isn't a rental(even that's very iffy)/old vet (who isn't the face of their org and wouldn't command a king's ransom for his name alone)/underachiever is a pipe dream. I've seen Lou do miracles but this might not be the year for one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad