Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2019-20 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
You can have Hainsey for a pick.
Maybe an AHL defensemen too so that we are not short handed. Czuczman?

Not sure if you saw my post above, but maybe Riikola?

Also, thanks for the responses. I like going directly to the team boards since the main trade board is a dumpster fire.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I still think Hainsey ends up returning more than the concensus thinks. GM's near the deadline are gonna see his cup ring and 1000+ games and get excited about adding him as a voice in the room. I'm not even sure I'd move him for a low pick given this teams defensive depth is absolutely awful and there may be something to be said keeping Hainsey in the fold for the extra month and a half.

The only way I move him for a low pick if if that pick can be flipped for a younger placeholder defenceman (i.e Hainsey to playoff team X for a 5th/6th, flip that pick to Chicago for Slater Koekkoek, rim with SK for a month and a half and see if he's worth re-signing).

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I still think Hainsey ends up returning more than the concensus thinks. GM's near the deadline are gonna see his cup ring and 1000+ games and get excited about adding him as a voice in the room. I'm not even sure I'd move him for a low pick given this teams defensive depth is absolutely awful and there may be something to be said keeping Hainsey in the fold for the extra month and a half.

The only way I move him for a low pick if if that pick can be flipped for a younger placeholder defenceman (i.e Hainsey to playoff team X for a 5th/6th, flip that pick to Chicago for Slater Koekkoek, rim with SK for a month and a half and see if he's worth re-signing).
People thought this about Oduya as well. Then he was waived. Hainsey is just a 3.5M Oduya at this point.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
People thought this about Oduya as well. Then he was waived. Hainsey is just a 3.5M Oduya at this point.

Oduya was completely toast. I'm not there with Hainsey yet honestly. I think he can still play the part of a solid bottom-pairing veteran defenceman on a playoff team, he's just asked to do too much here.

I also stand by my point about not moving him for a 7th or whatever. We still need bodies on defence now more than ever and I'm not sure another late pick ends up being worth the lack of depth.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
His hit is too high for anyone at the deadline even with half retained IMO.

His hit at the deadline is gonna be like ~$800k if we keep him that long. I don't think his cap hit ends up being prohibitive for most teams at that point.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
As a Pens fan, no thanks on that Murray deal. Jarry has a small sample size and Murray has gone through some tough game streaks but has rebounded quite well.

What would the asking price be for Connor Brown or Ron Hainsey?

I think if you asked DJ Smith on Brown .. it would be somewhere around Crosby and a 1st but I doubt he'd agree to it. Do you have any X Leaf players?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Oduya was completely toast. I'm not there with Hainsey yet honestly. I think he can still play the part of a solid bottom-pairing veteran defenceman on a playoff team, he's just asked to do too much here.

I also stand by my point about not moving him for a 7th or whatever. We still need bodies on defence now more than ever and I'm not sure another late pick ends up being worth the lack of depth.
I'd like a pick and a depth D for Belleville. By the time the TDL comes and goes we should have some more bodies. Guys like Jaros and Lajoie should be getting NHL time anyways.

Hainsey is pretty cooked though. I don't think he's playing any meaningful minutes for anyone who legitimately wants to contend. He's getting like 55% O zone deployment and still getting crushed. He's actually been kinda sheltered here funnily enough even though we all feel he plays too much.

For a vet his positioning is terrible and with how slow his feet are he can't make up the space.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd like a pick and a depth D for Belleville. By the time the TDL comes and goes we should have some more bodies. Guys like Jaros and Lajoie should be getting NHL time anyways.

Hainsey is pretty cooked though. I don't think he's playing any meaningful minutes for anyone who legitimately wants to contend. He's getting like 55% O zone deployment and still getting crushed. He's actually been kinda sheltered here funnily enough even though we all feel he plays too much.

For a vet his positioning is terrible and with how slow his feet are he can't make up the space.

I couldn't be any further down on Lajoie than I am, and given his deployment this year it seems like DJS is too. I think he needs to play out the year in Belleville and try and come back quicker and stronger next year.

I can agree with Jaros, and obviously Wolanin will be back at some point as well. I'm just not convinced this team team can/should trade all three of Demelo, Hainsey and Boro so a lot of what I think should happen with Hainsey hinges on the other two guys. Assuming we're moving on from DD and MB I think they could return more at the deadline and it may be better asset management to hold on to Hainsey through all this.

I also think part of him being "sheltered" here was playing with Brannstrom, and given the way he was playing before being sent down that comes with it's own challenges. Now that he's separated from Brann he ends up beside a version of Chabot who is being run into the ground and playing too many minutes (26 against the Panthers, probably 22+ tonight). I think if he got an extended run next to Demelo or Borowiecki we'd be singing a different tune.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
As a Pens fan, no thanks on that Murray deal. Jarry has a small sample size and Murray has gone through some tough game streaks but has rebounded quite well.

What would the asking price be for Connor Brown or Ron Hainsey?

hainsey could be had for a late pick somewhere between a 5th-7th

Ottawa could take back a contract if needed since Pittsburgh is up near the cap. Depending on the contract it would probably change the price

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think we are going to deal our defenders for late picks.

I think the team will value stability on the backend and not throwing Brannstrom, Jaros, etc to the wolves. Let's say we get offered a 5th or a 6th for one of our guys playing 19-20 minutes a night. Is that pick worth having to potentially hurt the development of a young defender?

If we got offered something like a 2nd or 3rd for one of our three UFA defenders, to me that obviously changes the dynamic. That's worth pulling the trigger and figuring things out.

We shouldn't have that same issue if we choose to move forwards like Pageau. It's much easier to fill spots up front with low value forward pickups than it is on the backend. We saw that at the last trade deadline when we added players like Gibbons, Duclair and Lindberg to help pad out the roster. I think it will take an actual decent asset to get us to move defenders. We are already thin and rumored to be looking for help. (Yes, Duclair has been a star, but he was a previously unqualified forward who had been roasted by his then head coach, I think it's safe to call him a low value pick up at the time.)

That's not me saying that a journeyman forward can come in and do Pageau's job. Only that, if we need someone to suffer through tough minutes without us worrying about their long term development, it's much easier to find a pro veteran forward to do it respectably than a pro veteran defender.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Hainsey isn't getting dealt for a late round pick lol. Multiple insiders have said that they expect there to be interest around the deadline.

I would target Arizona, maybe for something around Lyubushkin and a mid/late rounder; Colorado; Edmonton, possibly in a deal for Matt Benning; Nashville, maybe in a deal around Steve Santini and a mid-rounder; Tampa Bay; Toronto; Vancouver; or Winnipeg.

I think there will be even more interest in Boro. If it's anything a 3rd rounder or better, and if he wants any more than 3yrs x 1.3mil, I hope they move him. Interest would be massive in Boro, imo, as well as DeMelo (who I would happily retain, but only at the right price). Ultimately, if we're not re-signing either of these guys, it might make sense to hold onto Hainsey unless we return DMen/a DMan in a trade.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I don't think we are going to deal our defenders for late picks.

I think the team will value stability on the backend and not throwing Brannstrom, Jaros, etc to the wolves. Let's say we get offered a 5th or a 6th for one of our guys playing 19-20 minutes a night. Is that pick worth having to potentially hurt the development of a young defender?

If we got offered something like a 2nd or 3rd for one of our three UFA defenders, to me that obviously changes the dynamic. That's worth pulling the trigger and figuring things out.

We shouldn't have that same issue if we choose to move forwards like Pageau. It's much easier to fill spots up front with low value forward pickups than it is on the backend. We saw that at the last trade deadline when we added players like Gibbons, Duclair and Lindberg to help pad out the roster. I think it will take an actual decent asset to get us to move defenders. We are already thin and rumored to be looking for help. (Yes, Duclair has been a star, but he was a previously unqualified forward who had been roasted by his then head coach, I think it's safe to call him a low value pick up at the time.)

That's not me saying that a journeyman forward can come in and do Pageau's job. Only that, if we need someone to suffer through tough minutes without us worrying about their long term development, it's much easier to find a pro veteran forward to do it respectably than a pro veteran defender.
Do we know the agreement the ufas made with Dorion? Perhaps the only way Hainsey signed that deal was if he was traded at the deadline to a contender?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
You do remember that Dorion is the GM right?

You do remember that he got three strong returns for rentals last year, including Duclair and two 2nds for Dzingel, right?

He also added Nilsson & Namestnikov for a combined 4th and 6th, added Beaudin for an impending UFA career AHLer, and got a 6th rounder for Chris Wideman, who is not close to being an NHL Defender.

This myth that Dorion is incapable of making a decent trade is idiotic.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
You do remember that he got three strong returns for rentals last year, including Duclair and two 2nds for Dzingel, right?

He also added Nilsson & Namestnikov for a combined 4th and 6th, added Beaudin for an impending UFA career AHLer, and got a 6th rounder for Chris Wideman, who is not close to being an NHL Defender.

Hoffman got traded for garbage and was immediately flipped to Florida for a much better return.
Karlsson a Norris title defenseman got us a fraction of what he should have. We are lucky he resigned in SJ or it would have been far far worse.
As much as I like Brannstrom, an elite 2 way player like stone should have returned a hell of a lot more.

Also, look what he gave up for Duchene.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hoffman got traded for garbage and was immediately flipped to Florida for a much better return.
Karlsson a Norris title defenseman got us a fraction of what he should have. We are lucky he resigned in SJ or it would have been far far worse.
As much as I like Brannstrom, an elite 2 way player like stone should have returned a hell of a lot more.

He's hit more often than he's missed on minor trades, imo. He's far from the guy I want make franchise altering trades, but if he's buying a stop gap option or selling a middling piece he usually gets decent value, imo.

Trading Hainsey for a 4th and a prospect or whatever doesn't exactly equate with the major deals he's lost in the past.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Are you actually pumping Dorions tires for acquiring JC Beaudin? That is pretty wild.

Dorion traded for Nikita Zaitsev in the offseason. Anyone saying Dorion is awful at trades is 100% right. He's made some of the most lopsided trades in NHL history and is a doormat for the rest of the NHL's GMs.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would take his decisions on EK, RD, KT , CC any day and I think it won’t take long for MS and MD to swing more in our favour.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Do we know the agreement the ufas made with Dorion? Perhaps the only way Hainsey signed that deal was if he was traded at the deadline to a contender?
I think it's more likely he would have asked to not be traded. He's at the end. He's won a cup. I suspect stability may have held some value for him

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I couldn't be any further down on Lajoie than I am, and given his deployment this year it seems like DJS is too. I think he needs to play out the year in Belleville and try and come back quicker and stronger next year.

I can agree with Jaros, and obviously Wolanin will be back at some point as well. I'm just not convinced this team team can/should trade all three of Demelo, Hainsey and Boro so a lot of what I think should happen with Hainsey hinges on the other two guys. Assuming we're moving on from DD and MB I think they could return more at the deadline and it may be better asset management to hold on to Hainsey through all this.

I also think part of him being "sheltered" here was playing with Brannstrom, and given the way he was playing before being sent down that comes with it's own challenges. Now that he's separated from Brann he ends up beside a version of Chabot who is being run into the ground and playing too many minutes (26 against the Panthers, probably 22+ tonight). I think if he got an extended run next to Demelo or Borowiecki we'd be singing a different tune.

I heard earlier this week that Lajoie is still having pivoting issues on his hip after last season's surgery. The plan was to have him remain in Belleville while he worked thru those issues. Unfortunately we've got too many injuries right now so he's getting time here which is not the preferred option

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I guess you don't recall TSN srating that he had basically no value after the wives story broke?

Lots of armchair GMs here believe we should have got a lot more gor Karlsson. He was available all summer when GMs has opportunity to clear cap space. You might consideŕ that a bidding war never emerged and we ended up getting what was available

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Are you actually pumping Dorions tires for acquiring JC Beaudin? That is pretty wild.

Dorion traded for Nikita Zaitsev in the offseason. Anyone saying Dorion is awful at trades is 100% right. He's made some of the most lopsided trades in NHL history and is a doormat for the rest of the NHL's GMs.
He traded a guy who they were ready to move on from for a guy who is much younger and can plug and play. He has pretty consistently done well on small deals, which is exactly what we're discussing.

You're a really funny fella. Not contemplative, per se, but very funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium