Proposal: Trade Proposal - Wild/Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
You do understand Buffalo and Vancouver are in very different positions, with very different wants and needs, and the availability of Eichel and Pettersson are also very different players, yes?

The only place we dont have current nhl talent is at top 6 center, so unless youre saying you are only trading petterson for a current great top 6 center, then that means we do, in fact have the pieces.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The only place we dont have current nhl talent is at top 6 center, so unless youre saying you are only trading petterson for a current great top 6 center, then that means we do, in fact have the pieces.

The Wild absolutely have the pieces, if I said other I misspoke.

We would need the equivalent talent to Pettersson, age, contract/cap hit, and production included, as a center, and absolute can't miss winger (presuming we move Miller to center permanently) or top pairing RHD. I know Minnesota has two of those covered, but would Kaprizov(+probably, winger tax when paying for a center) or Spurgeon(+for the age difference) be made available? That's creating a big hole, even if it fills another.

Kaprizov and even Fiala, are great wingers, but they are less valuable to the Canucks considering we presently have Boeser, Miller, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Pearson fighting for four top six spots. Would either of the Wild forwards cut in to that line up? Absolutely, I'd argue either in the mix with, and even coming out on top against, Boeser and Miller. However either injecting into our line up pushes someone else qualified back, so it's not really a "need" for us. Miller going to center to accommodate one of the Wild's wingers would similarly only benefit us if one of them brought an element of their game we lack, and while I like both wingers mentioned, I think Pettersson isn't lacking enough of what the others bring to really value losing a home grown product.

Similarly on defense, we've revamped the line up and simply lack top end talent on the right side. OEL, who has been a God send, Hughes, who has picked up his defensive game, and Rathbone, who was sent down for reasons I hope are just ice time related, have our left side covered. Poolman has been fine, Myers, while certainly not a top flight RHD, has been playing like a wholly different player this year and would be fine in a top four role, and Hamonic just joined the big club. That's three top six RHD, so we'd need someone that is head and shoulders higher than who have.

Basically, in both cases, we need someone who's difference will equal (or improve) the loss for subtracting Pettersson from our roster. I've always thought of trades as trying to even out an algebraic equation.

Despite what we should have been doing, our ownership and management are presently making a playoff push, with Benning likely being canned if we don't make it this year, so a series of smaller pieces won't really appeal to us. Ditto to a "futures heavy" package. We have had a ton of suitable depth players that our coach is reluctant to play, instead opting for fringe NHLer's in key roles, leading to waiver losses and trades, so even "NHL quality" isn't really an appeal for an add on or part of a package either. Plus we have a lot of NHL level depth on the IR too...so that will be a mess when Petan and Dowling get used over Motte, Highmore, Sutter and Podkolzin.

I am not saying packages of lesser (not bonafide top line) players won't get a top center, but rather a package like that just doesn't fit what the Canucks need, or are looking for, unless Benning wants to set fire to the fields and salt the earth before being shown the door.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We would need the equivalent talent to Pettersson, age, contract/cap hit, and production included, as a center, and absolute can't miss winger (presuming we move Miller to center permanently) or top pairing RHD. I know Minnesota has two of those covered, but would Kaprizov(+probably, winger tax when paying for a center) or Spurgeon(+for the age difference) be made available? That's creating a big hole, even if it fills another.

Since you brought it up, if we could ignore Spurgeon's full NMC for a second, I think Spurgeon+ would be exceedingly workable.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
The Wild absolutely have the pieces, if I said other I misspoke.

Kaprizov and even Fiala, are great wingers, but they are less valuable to the Canucks considering we presently have Boeser, Miller, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Pearson fighting for four top six spots. Would either of the Wild forwards cut in to that line up? Absolutely, I'd argue either in the mix with, and even coming out on top against, Boeser and Miller. However either injecting into our line up pushes someone else qualified back, so it's not really a "need" for us. Miller going to center to accommodate one of the Wild's wingers would similarly only benefit us if one of them brought an element of their game we lack, and while I like both wingers mentioned, I think Pettersson isn't lacking enough of what the others bring to really value losing a home grown product.

Similarly on defense, we've revamped the line up and simply lack top end talent on the right side. OEL, who has been a God send, Hughes, who has picked up his defensive game, and Rathbone, who was sent down for reasons I hope are just ice time related, have our left side covered. Poolman has been fine, Myers, while certainly not a top flight RHD, has been playing like a wholly different player this year and would be fine in a top four role, and Hamonic just joined the big club. That's three top six RHD, so we'd need someone that is head and shoulders higher than who have.

Basically, in both cases, we need someone who's difference will equal (or improve) the loss for subtracting Pettersson from our roster. I've always thought of trades as trying to even out an algebraic equation.

Despite what we should have been doing, our ownership and management are presently making a playoff push, with Benning likely being canned if we don't make it this year, so a series of smaller pieces won't really appeal to us. Ditto to a "futures heavy" package. We have had a ton of suitable depth players that our coach is reluctant to play, instead opting for fringe NHLer's in key roles, leading to waiver losses and trades, so even "NHL quality" isn't really an appeal for an add on or part of a package either. Plus we have a lot of NHL level depth on the IR too...so that will be a mess when Petan and Dowling get used over Motte, Highmore, Sutter and Podkolzin.

I am not saying packages of lesser (not bonafide top line) players won't get a top center, but rather a package like that just doesn't fit what the Canucks need, or are looking for, unless Benning wants to set fire to the fields and salt the earth before being shown the door.

was responding to elitepete originally

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Since you brought it up, if we could ignore Spurgeon's full NMC for a second, I think Spurgeon+ would be exceedingly workable.

I'm open to a hypothetical (of course...unless you're secretly Guerin) offer, what works for you, Doc?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
was responding to elitepete originally

I jump in where I am not needed or wanted, often skipping context.

I can't speak for elitepete, although despite his sometimes extreme views we do agree sometimes, but I think most teams have what it would take to get most players in a vacuum, but team needs are more often what sewer perceived value.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
i mean, id trade spurgeon and fiala for pettersson tbh. dont know if others would agree. then add whatever to make cap work.

Cap is a bit sticky, as we sent all of our nightmare contracts to Arizona.

If some retention could be handled on Fiala's remaining year, it would work with a couple of minimum cap hits going back.

Reactions: GuerinUp

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
To the Wild - Brock Boeser + Tanner Pearson

To the Canucks - Joel Ericsson Ek + Marcus Foligno

Always love the trade proposals on this site with people thinking actual trades happen on this site.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So why do you want him ,and foligno who are untouchable for worse players. Foligno, whose wild alternative captain? In fact tanner Pearson is expansive and at best would play on wild 4th line. Boeser isn't needed when wild have fiala, kaprizov, Adam Beckman, matt boldy, and so on...

Joel Eriksson Ek is a complete 2 way c , and selke candidate player. Boeser does nothing better than Ek.

Is being ignorant a choice for you or is it just your natural state?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
:laugh::laugh::laugh: If we have what it takes to get jack eichel, we definitely have what it takes to get EP....

If we are willing to trade such assets is a whole 'nother question.
Eichel is injured and at odds with his team. I wouldn't trade EP 1 for 1 for Eichel, and if you had the pieces, wouldn't you have a #1C by now.

Reactions: Cogburn

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If you don't have talent in a specific position and you haven't for a while, isn't it worth considering that you don't have the pieces?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That + better be something huge - A 31 year old signed into his late 30's with a large cap hit and a NMC does not get you a 22 year old Center that has averaged 0.9 pts per game over their first 3 seasons. I think there are only 13 players in NHL history that have 0.9 ppg in their first 3 seasons. He is elite - not playing his best right now, but was injured for the better part of last year and missed camp this year. He will bounce back with a vengeance.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That + better be something huge - A 31 year old signed into his late 30's with a large cap hit and a NMC does not get you a 22 year old Center that has averaged 0.9 pts per game over their first 3 seasons. I think there are only 13 players in NHL history that have 0.9 ppg in their first 3 seasons. He is elite - not playing his best right now, but was injured for the better part of last year and missed camp this year. He will bounce back with a vengeance.

I agree. I was pretty shocked that Spurgeon was even brought up at all, but, figured I'd just go with it.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
:laugh::laugh::laugh: If we have what it takes to get jack eichel, we definitely have what it takes to get EP....

If we are willing to trade such assets is a whole 'nother question.

When did the Wild trade for Eichel?.....:sarcasm:

That's the only way you would possibly be able to make that statement isn't it?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
i mean, id trade spurgeon and fiala for pettersson tbh. dont know if others would agree. then add whatever to make cap work.
And I would trade Horvat for Kaprizov and Dumba tbh - but no one on the other side would even consider it.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think we'd have to consider Rossi as the plus, if that's what it took.

I like Rossi, but we'd definitely need the + to be a win now asset.

Also, is there a reason he isn't playing in Minnesota? I mean seems like a beauty of a young player, and centers are in big demand, did he just stall during training camp, or is playing better as a winger, or what?

That's my doing, I brought Spurgeon up, as unless I have grotesquely overestimated what he's doing, I thought he was presently the better of he and Dumba, overall. Having a long contract and being slightly older over Dumba could be a problem, but having Rossi and Fiala brought up as the + is so far a lot better then most offers I've seen for Pettersson.

I agree. I was pretty shocked that Spurgeon was even brought up at all, but, figured I'd just go with it.

Exactly, sometimes you don't ask why, you just see what can be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad