Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think we have a clear example here in mtl with Caufield. Last game he played 21 mins, career high. He is on the first line, first pp line, first off in OT. Clearly he is trusted and has been told to use his skills VS 1 goal in 45 games under dd, fourth line, barely any pp time etc

I would take the risk on kravstov, his ceiling is too high, but not as the main centerpiece of a trade. We have room now for him in our top 6 and theorically can give him a chance start of next season.
Most on here thought DD was misusing the kid............then everyone turned to ok put him in the A......then along comes a MSL and CC has 4 goals in 4 games, and a game winner to break out of a 10 game losing streak.
What coaches do and say matters......
Top 6 player his whole hockey life...........DD puts him in the bottom 6 on a bottom feeder......and we wonder why this kid lost his confidence.
Anyhow, he is back, great to see as we move forward to the end of a miserable season.

Reactions: Paddy17

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Bergevin acquired Danault and Suzuki. Don't know why it's something less honourable than a 1st round pick.

I think the issue is it's not one or the other. With the amount of failed seasons he had, he should have been able to acquire both prospects and first rounders.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Bergevin acquired Danault and Suzuki. Don't know why it's something less honourable than a 1st round pick.
Not to mention how apparently we have no development program that it’s no wonder our 1st rounders have largely failed while more seasoned prospects coming from other organizations have done better

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
From point of draft, most young defenceman - outside of an elite few - are 4-6 years from being reliable impact players in the NHL. If the team can turn this around in less time, they will.
That's one reason why I don't think Lundkvist is on the table for Chiarot.

I don't think the NYR rumors have anything to do with Chiarot anyhow, Lebrun said to check until March 21st. Then a rumor goes out saying within 7-10 days, that's not the Rangers. Have to look back at Dvorak imho.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Maybe... Probably not. Not in the middle of the season for sure. I was just illustrating what a trade for a prospect who is ahead would end up looking like as a parallel to Suzuki. Suzuki wasn't acquired for a UFA TDL guy, so the comparison is figurative. You won't get similar prospects for Chiarot or any other UFA we have.

Another way to see it: Kravtsov and Lundkvist are prospects who lost value over time, unlike Suzuki and Pelletier.
Actually, Suzuki was not Vegas's top center prospect at that time - - Glass was, and the Knights would not part with him. Taking the lesser prospect when they are young works out at times.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yea, they are getting traded. There is no reason for them to not travel with the team if they are healthy.

Didn't Armia get a skate in the face last game?
And Dvorak is still on IR, technically. People are speculating he had a concussion on top of the other injury that is now healed.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I wonder if a team with Slafkovsky, Kravtsov, Anderson, Heinemann etc. will be hard to defend against. I can see all these guys in our lineup next year and it’s a thing of beauty. Size, speed, skill and grit. What we’ve been wanting for a long time. Add that to Suzuki and Caufield and your forward lines are pretty damn good. Always a chance at Bedard in 2023 but Dvo should be fine as 2nd center with that talent in the wing.

Makes me not worry about winning the draft 1st OA. Built in excuse to take Slafkovsky over Wright if we don’t get 1st and might leave with the best player in the draft.

Reactions: Dutronc and Draft

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Actually, Suzuki was not Vegas's top center prospect at that time - - Glass was, and the Knights would not part with him. Taking the lesser prospect when they are young works out at times.

Yep....

It is the reason why I would target good prospects already drafted: 19, 20 or 21 years old.

You know a bit more what you receive.

A late first pick is usually at 3 years to make it if he does...

We have already 2 first pick...it is the time to target players who will help us faster than a late first pick

The trade of Pacioretty is the perfect example of this.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

BillyCostigan

Nov 9, 2021
Yep....

It is the reason why I would target good prospects already drafted: 19, 20 or 21 years old.

You know a bit more what you receive.

A late first pick is usually at 3 years to make it if he does...

We have already 2 first pick...it is the time to target players who will help us faster than a late first pick

The trade of Pacioretty is the perfect example of this.
Since they're talking with Toronto, they could target Nick Robertson. He has a rocket of a shot and may come cheap because of injury history. When healthy he's better than his brother, and Jason is killing it with Dallas.

Reactions: crosbyshow

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I wonder if a team with Slafkovsky, Kravtsov, Anderson, Heinemann etc. will be hard to defend against. I can see all these guys in our lineup next year and it’s a thing of beauty. Size, speed, skill and grit. What we’ve been wanting for a long time. Add that to Suzuki and Caufield and your forward lines are pretty damn good. Always a chance at Bedard in 2023 but Dvo should be fine as 2nd center with that talent in the wing.

Makes me not worry about winning the draft 1st OA. Built in excuse to take Slafkovsky over Wright if we don’t get 1st and might leave with the best player in the draft.

I think those forward positions have a very good chance of getting filled with solid players. I like the size, speed, grit. Who have we got at center and on defence though? Unlikely that Slafkovsky is in the NHL next year and less likely that he's a center at this level.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
Armia is impossible to trade. I mean no team will take on such an albatross of a contract, unless the Habs retain.
Yes, Habs retaining at 15% could make him interesting to some team. Big body strong of the possession, 2.9M$ cap hit still in his prime, usually a 15-15 3rd liner, can PK. Doesn't falter in the playoff.

And it would only cost Montreal 500k on the salary cap. Maybe a 2nd round pick for him or a B prospect? It would still help clear some space. But his value must be low right now so it might be better to wait next TDL and hope he bounces back.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Armia is impossible to trade. I mean no team will take on such an albatross of a contract, unless the Habs retain.
Although I agree he has a shitty contract, I wouldn't call it "albatross". 3,4mil for 3 years isn't as bad as 10,5mil a year or the absolute awful Gallagher contract... you want to talk about "albatross" look at what Skinner has... Armia's contract is totally manageable, just like Alzner was...

Reactions: Mandalorian

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think those forward positions have a very good chance of getting filled with solid players. I like the size, speed, grit. Who have we got at center and on defence though? Unlikely that Slafkovsky is in the NHL next year and less likely that he's a center at this level.
I’d take Wright with the 1st but if we drop out, Slafkovsky offers a really intriguing prospect. 6’4” 17 year old who was dominant in the Olympics. On D, I think we have some very good prospects like Guhle, Mailloux, Harris, Norlinder and more to add possibly with later 1st or via trade.
At center though, Dvo, Poehling, Evans in addition to Suzuki can hold the fort. When you have high skilled wingers, it makes your job easier and you can focus more on defence like Danault did with Gally and Tatar while they did most of the scoring.

This team is far from complete but with some more good trades and high draft picks, we can be a lot further and having big, skilled, fast and gritty forwards will make everyone’s life a lot easier except for the opposing team.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
It is smart because you also get some players that are ahead in their development. So you don't only get picks and wait even longer for them to develop.

You get picks for players that will come in later and prospects that will come in sooner.

I have a question for you: was it dumb of Bergevin to acquire Suzuki in the trade for Pacioretty and not JUST picks? Or is it wrong of him to get Nick and he should have just gotten picks?
I agree with you in principle.

In practice however, I don't think we have the resources to pull off what you're suggesting. There's a reason we'd like to get prospects ahead in their development, and same reason makes them valuable to their team and the 30 other teams.

Toffoli was among the best we were reasonably expected to part with. We don't have a Pacioretty value player to bring back a Suzuki value prospect.

Realistically, guys on or ahead of track don't go for what we would be willing to offer, barring exceptionnal circumstances.
We can hope for it but expecting it is another story imo.

Finally, I don't think going for reclamation project type prospects would be a wise way to go. I think we are looking at more moves like the 1st + Heineman where we target a prospect equivalent to a 2nd rnd or below instead of a pick from the same round being included in the deal.

Reactions: vokiel

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Although I agree he has a shitty contract, I wouldn't call it "albatross". 3,4mil for 3 years isn't as bad as 10,5mil a year or the absolute awful Gallagher contract... you want to talk about "albatross" look at what Skinner has... Armia's contract is totally manageable, just like Alzner was...
Yes, but let's not compare Armia to Skinner. We are talking about 2 different players altogether. One was once upon a time a 40 goal scorer, the other is a physical body for the bottom 9, making equal dollars to a second line winger on most teams. I wouldn't call Alzner's contract manageable. His value was so low after 2 seasons, the Habs had to buy him out, his cap hit is still there for a few more years.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Chairot (50%) Lekhonen (50%) for NYR Othmann (LW) Lundkvist (RD) Nemeth (LD) (cap dump, but 8 team no trade list)

i don’t lile Kravtsov early pro career. Red flags.

Othmann is my guy

they will have plenty of cap space to grab Miller/Hertl

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ship Petry to Detroit. And in the package coming back, GET Elmer Soderblom.
I think Petry to Dallas is pretty much set once Klingberg gets traded. Hughes kept mentioning Dallas/Klingberg situation in his press conference and there has been a lot of rumours about it. So I’d think unless something changes, he’s a Star by TDL.

Reactions: JAVO16 and jaffy27

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I think Petry to Dallas is pretty much set once Klingberg gets traded. Hughes kept mentioning Dallas/Klingberg situation in his press conference and there has been a lot of rumours about it. So I’d think unless something changes, he’s a Star by TDL.

You are killing the dream of 6'5 Slafkovsky and 6'8 Soderbloom on the same line.

Reactions: Dutronc

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Chairot (50%) Lekhonen (50%) for NYR Othmann (LW) Lundkvist (RD) Nemeth (LD) (cap dump, but 8 team no trade list)

i don’t lile Kravtsov early pro career. Red flags.

Othmann is my guy

they will have plenty of cap space to grab Miller/Hertl
They are not trading Othmann, same for Scheinder, well maybe in a trade for a Miller or Hertl but not for a rental and Lekhonen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad