HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Pesce or Nemec would be great. Given Pesce just signed his big contract to return home, he's a no go. Nemec is a pipe-dream, you don't trade a blue chip RD that young.
Trust me, Simon Nemec is not happy with his position in the team. With Hamilton and Pesce, he has no chance to play top 4. He had played PP QB whole his career, but there is no chance as he is behind Hamilton and Hughes. He is now 3RD and PK for Devils and it will probably continue. His ELC ends in summer 2026 and he might easily get traded.

Reactions: Leto

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
We have an imbalance also in terms of the handedness of centers — only Dvorak is left handed and he’s likely gone next season. They need a left handed C to join the fold.
Suzuki, Dach, Evans, Kapanen even Beck, Hage and Koivu. Newhook is the only leftie who could play center now.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This is just proving my point further. Guess what was the situation in MTL that year? He was still the only regular top 4 PMD. Which was the not the case in Pittsburgh or Florida.

In PIT, he was #2 and had 31 behind Letang and before that #2 in relevant PPG (Ceci played 9 more games for a single point) behind Letang again.

In Florida, 3rd behind Ekblad and Yandle. Same thing except his first full year where he was also behind Demers.

Watch him this year. If Hutson is healthy all year, Matheson points will regress.
Even if Matheson is a second or third D-man, his contract is very fair, and his dedication to the team a big bonus. Can't have enough top-4 Ds.

If and when Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher are all proven top-4 Ds, then Matheson could be a trade option, but we aren't there yet.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Trust me, Simon Nemec is not happy with his position in the team. With Hamilton and Pesce, he has no chance to play top 4. He had played PP QB whole his career, but there is no chance as he is behind Hamilton and Hughes. He is now 3RD and PK for Devils and it will probably continue. His ELC ends in summer 2026 and he might easily get traded.
Before the draft. There has a rumour of New jersey wanting to draft Slaf. The Devil have multiple good defensemen. They also drafted another one in 2024. They will need to trade to make place for the younger one.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yep.
But some seem to think he still is.
To play where?
Zegras isn't a bottom 6 player.

Habs only real hole right now is top 4 RHD. The bottom 6 is ok and already getting refreshed by younger blood. The top 6 will be fine once Laine is healed up and Demidov is coming next year. Maybe even Hage.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Before the draft. There has a rumour of New jersey wanting to draft Slaf. The Devil have multiple good defensemen. They also drafted another one in 2024. They will need to trade to make place for the younger one.
For sure, they would draft Slaf. It was all over Slovak media as well with obvious Tatar connection. They had to trade for Timo Meier to get some physicality to their top line.
Pesce just signed long term deal as UFA. Hamilton has a lot of trade protection. Next summer, they will probably hand a big contract to Luke Hughes, but they will lose Kovacevic as free agent. He will not sign below 1.5M for sure. They will keep Nemec til summer 2026 just for the sake of his ELC, but he might be the trade option for sure.

Reactions: rahad

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
To play where?
Zegras isn't a bottom 6 player.

Habs only real hole right now is top 4 RHD. The bottom 6 is ok and already getting refreshed by younger blood. The top 6 will be fine once Laine is healed up and Demidov is coming next year. Maybe even Hage.
Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Lasine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Kapanen
Heineman-Beck-Gallagher or Anderson

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Reinbacher
Struble/Xhekaj-Mailloux

Montembeault
Dobes, then Fowler

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Even if Matheson is a second or third D-man, his contract is very fair, and his dedication to the team a big bonus. Can't have enough top-4 Ds.

If and when Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher are all proven top-4 Ds, then Matheson could be a trade option, but we aren't there yet.

The discussion here was to trade him for a top4 RD to balance our D corps, so I'm not sure where you're going with your post.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The discussion here was to trade him for a top4 RD to balance our D corps, so I'm not sure where you're going with your post.
That's not terrible, but getting a top-4 RHD without giving up a core player would be my goal.

BTW, Guhle is +5 in 3 games playing the right side. Is there a problem?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That's not terrible, but getting a top-4 RHD without giving up a core player would be my goal.

BTW, Guhle is +5 in 3 games playing the right side. Is there a problem?
He's a natural LD and we have an imbalance of LD/RD.

Trading Matheson for a RD puts Guhle back on his more comfortable side and lessen the LD logjam.

I don't see how Matheson fit in this team past the short term.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
He's a natural LD and we have an imbalance of LD/RD.

Trading Matheson for a RD puts Guhle back on his more comfortable side and lessen the LD logjam.

I don't see how Matheson fit in this team past the short term.
Trading Matheson just means Engstrom can make the team one day, not that Guhle gets back on the left side at this point.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I think we have said it here but the guy I would try to get is Rasmus Andersson from Calgary.

RD, 45-50 pts, #1 pairing defenseman, 24-25 min guy, plays in all situations. Under contract for a couple more years.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
WJC memories die hard unless your name is Filip Mesar
It has NOTHING to do with the WJC. 2 60+ pt seasons on a bad team do. He has the talent to be valuable. Not sure about character.

I think we have said it here but the guy I would try to get is Rasmus Andersson from Calgary.

RD, 45-50 pts, #1 pairing defenseman, 24-25 min guy, plays in all situations. Under contract for a couple more years.
And there is no way to get him. Would cost far too much.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Again, the discussion here was about Matheson for Andersson.

Guhle - Andersson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble
If Andersson is as good as people here say, and Matheson as bad as his detractors say, why would Calgary make this trade?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If Andersson is as good as people here say, and Matheson as bad as his detractors say, why would Calgary make this trade?

Hence most people putting a plus on the Habs side.

Calgary would make the trade to rebalance their RD-rich D corps and eventually sell Matheson next year as they rebuild.

To be honest, I don't think Calgary would do this trade in real life. They'll probably just sell Andersson directly, unless they go crazy and re-sign him.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Hence most people putting a plus on the Habs side.

Calgary would make the trade to rebalance their RD-rich D corps and eventually sell Matheson next year as they rebuild.

To be honest, I don't think Calgary would do this trade in real life. They'll probably just sell Andersson directly, unless they go crazy and re-sign him.
Why would they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad