HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Laine is still a long shot to be a permanent solution and Bennett is never going to be a Hab so the point is moot.
If however you had a sure thing with a healthy Laine you'd be looking at a very hard decision.
Laine is a first line player and a healthy Laine is definitely better than Cole Caufield.
So the question would be what do you do with Caufield.
Yeah....I'm not thinking we get Bennett....was merely responding to someone else.

Honestly....doesn't matter to me, if Laine hits peak and forces Caufield down to 2nd line, thats a good problem to have. I'm looking ahead to a top 6 that are all first line guys. Maybe they are lower end 1st line guys....but 1st liners none the less. Mix and match as you see fit.

I like,

Slaf - Nick- Cole --- 1a
Laine - Dach - Demidov --- 1b

Also, we have Newhook who can play up...and potentially Hage come 26-27. Not a ton of room for anyone at this point. Higher end third liner to pair with Newhook would be perfect.

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
With Florida now putting big money (and years) into Verhaeghe, Tkachuk, Barkov, Lundell and Reinhart up front, I wonder if the Habs could grab Sam Bennett as a UFA in the summer?

Assuming that David Savard, Christian Dvorak and Joel Armia are all moved out on or before the trade deadline, and Bennett hasn’t re-signed in Florida, I’d be willing to offer him a significant deal to come north to play for the Habs.

I think he’d be the perfect 2nd line center behind Suzuki, and he’d add a much needed injection of nastiness with his ability to score.
I’d be willing to offer him close to the Suzuki deal, 8 years x 7.0 million. This would move Dach over to the wing, and give the Habs a legit cup contender lineup (in my opinion).

Laine - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Bennett - Dach
Demidov - Newhook - Anderson
Tuch - Kapanen - Gallagher

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - ____
Xhekaj - Struble

Something along those lines anyway.
I agree that Benett could be a target and he a underrated piece but he will be 29yo no way would I give him 8years (probably could only give him 7 anyway) to that kind of money with he play style that won’t age well also he is a great complement to elite players not sure going the same in MTL.

Too much money, too many years for a completely player (even if he is a great competitor). There is a reason why FLA lock up everyone, even if Benett is an important piece they think he is a complement and the other guy are the one making a difference.

Reactions: waitin425

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
We need a stabilizing D back there, and one of quality and experience.

Unless you're looking to overpay an aging Ekblad (who I think would prefer to stay in Florida) in free agency, the only plausible option for the right side is Rasmus Andersson via trade.

Otherwise, I have Dobson and Erik Cernak on my delusional wish list :confused:.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actually we have more chance of landing Sid than Bennett.

I actually think Pens will finish bottom 10 this season and Crosby will be open to be traded.

Pens are in for a rough ride! I agree. They are in rebuild denial and missing out on accelerating their rebuild buy trading assets that still have value.

Crosby won't retire as a Pens. I'm about 80% sure. haha

I agree that Benett could be a target and he a underrated piece but he will be 29yo no way would I give him 8years (probably could only give him 7 anyway) to that kind of money with he play style that won’t age well also he is a great complement to elite players not sure going the same in MTL.

Too much money, too many years for a completely player (even if he is a great competitor). There is a reason why FLA lock up everyone, even if Benett is an important piece they think he is a complement and the other guy are the one making a difference.

The Bennet type of trade is something to consider after most of our youth mature (especially the D). Timing is off by trying to fill holes now via trades/UFA signings. Sens made that mistake and so many others as well.

Let the kids grow together and only make circumstantial trades like the Laine one.

Reactions: Benstheman

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The Bennet type of trade is something to consider after most of our youth mature (especially the D). Timing is off by trying to fill holes now via trades/UFA signings. Sens made that mistake and so many others as well.

Let the kids grow together and only make circumstantial trades like the Laine one.
Going in to next season with Laine, Demidov, Young Guy improving. I have no issue going to get a UFA to plug and play to address a need and fill specific role I rather sign someone than trading away assets in some cases. But if you are signing and complementary or role player you can’t give him 1st line money on a long term contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Going in to next season with Laine, Demidov, Young Guy improving. I have no issue going to get a UFA to plug and play to address a need and fill specific role I rather sign someone than trading away assets in some cases. But if you are signing and complementary or role player you can’t give him 1st line money on a long term contract.

I think we are going to find out a lot about our team this season. Not going to get all the answers but we will know our holes better.

I just think we need to be careful with the salary cap management. It can creep up on us if we are not careful. Imagine signing a UFA (spending our available cap) and then in 3 years, we are in cap trouble because guys like Hutson, Newhook, Dach, Xhekaj need raises and we don't have enough space to sign? Cap should rise yes and we will have expiring contracts (deadweight per say) but I'm sure Gorton/Hughes will do cap future calculations over and over again before they dig deep in free agency.

Reactions: calder candidate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad