HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
The toughest teams in the league have players going to war for each other even if they aren't goons. Outside of Xhekaj, nobody on the Habs will do anything meaningful to stand up for their teammates. When he got hired, Hughes made it a point that he was upset by the lack of response when Monty got runover by Kassian, yet nothing has changed besides Xhekaj becoming a regular. It's moreso about the team identity than filling up the team with bruisers.
One player won't change your team identity, he will start like he is used to play, everyone is woooo and then after 20 games when he realizes noone else does anything he will play just like the rest of the team. One guy won't change 20 guys, the 20 guys will change him.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
then you havent done a good job at defining what you want.
haha, sure!!

In what world do those guys have an edge, are tough to play against, wear opponents down, etc. They do none of that.

Coming into MTL is an easy game for opponents that’s why teams ragdoll the habs. Its been going on for years.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think its hard to see now because there's still so many spare parts still hanging around the bottom 6, but right below them in the depth chart we have a number of tough players who can play at both F and D. I think the team isn't a tough one currently, but it is tougher than before and there's a clear upgrade coming before trades come into it.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
This was more about trading him for a top 4 RHD.

I still think that's a very difficult thing to do because until Reinbacher is ready, you only have Andersson. Savard/Barron should not be top 4 dmen for us in the future and Guhle needs to get to his natural side which will happen once Matheson leaves.
They don't need one of those just yet. Also he could be the top 4 you are looking for. Id give him the season and see where they are next summer.....

no need to rush

Reactions: Habs Halifax

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Man hearing all the people talk about "team toughness" just make me think about Therrrien and Bergevin all over again...

"We need more character, harder in the corners, just dump da puck and cycle."

The moment we try to inject some skills in the lineup, a bunch of people on here are losing their minds.

We have enough team toughness to deal with most teams in the league, enough with this neanderthal mindset. We need more skill, we don't have enough players who are able to make a tape to tape pass or put the puck in the back or the net.
AND yet we still get pushed around. figure that

Reactions: Rapala and Hannibal

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
haha, sure!!

In what world do those guys have an edge, are tough to play against, wear opponents down, etc. They do none of that.

Coming into MTL is an easy game for opponents that’s why teams ragdoll the habs. Its been going on for years.
Anderson top 15 in hits for RWs
Pezz top 5 in hits for LWs
Slafkovsky 16th in hits for RWs
Guhle top 60 in hits for Ds in 44 games!
Struble top 60 in hits for Ds in 56 games!
Arber top 60 in hits for Ds in 70 games!

Again, you need to refine your definition if you don't like the players that meet it.

Also, anyone saying that Slaf is not tough to play against with that size is being disingenous. Gallagher being a pain in front of the net is absolutely tough to play against.

Reactions: mdk

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Even the toughest teams in the league don't really have more than 3-4 regulars who are punishing.

Struble is a tough customer. Arber is among the toughest around.

We've had this discussion before a million times, getting tough does not prevent injuries. It just makes people feel better when they happen because they want "retribution".
it always stops getting pushed around. and that will happen this year.

Again, you need to refine your definition if you don't like the players that meet it.

Also, anyone saying that Slaf is not tough to play against with that size is being disingenous.
anderson is a joke

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Also, anyone saying that Slaf is not tough to play against with that size is being disingenous.
Sorry bud, I clearly explained it

Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson, Max Domi, Jeannot etc.

All of these guys play with an edge. They are physical, play with a nasty edge, can fight, and wear opponents down. They play with a mean streak, they don’t get pushed around nor do they let their teammates either. These are just a few guys who I put into the category of tough to play against. There are many others.

Like I said, the habs are soft as butter. No one comes to the Bell Center and worries about being physically pushed around. It’s an easy night physically playing the Habs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hannibal

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Provide a better definition then.
What more do you need!!!

See above. If you can’t see the difference in play between one of the guys I mentioned above and Mike Matheson, Andy or Gally than what is there left to talk about, lol.

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I agree this team needs physical players up front that play hard and are also a threat to fight. Love Arber however he's the lone wolf and I don't like always having a defenseman in the penalty box. You need guys up front that forecheck, hit and make life miserable. That's what Tampa realized when they were constantly getting bounced in the playoffs. Same thing with Florida. You need the threat of violence to eventually win.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I agree this team needs physical players up front that play hard and are also a threat to fight. Love Arber however he's the lone wolf and I don't like always having a defenseman in the penalty box. You need guys up front that forecheck, hit and make life miserable. That's what Tampa realized when they were constantly getting bounced in the playoffs. Same thing with Florida. You need the threat of violence to eventually win.
What would any of the bold have done to prevent Laine or Redenbacher injuries?

BTW - Luke Tuch addresses both facets and will join the team at some point in the 2nd half of the season IMO

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
If players want to play on a contender, they will pick an existing contender instead of a team working to get there.

It takes somewhat of a leap of faith to jump to another rebuilding franchise despite it being "further along".

Alot can go wrong in a rebuild even when it feels like things are generally on track.
Did i write that?
It was so long ago, i barely remember.
A lot happened since then. I'm just not sure i care anymore...lol

Seriously, it depends on what you consider the end of the rebuild is.
Let's say they got Andersson (and Laine was still there), what would they lack for the rebuild to be over?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
This team has no wolf pack mentality, no identity. Already year 3 of rebuild. On good teams, the bottom 6 are players that bleed the identity of the team, that increase that pack mentality, that can get the momemtum back on our side. Our bottom 6 is soft, old and lazy ass dead wood.

Ti-Louis needs to wake the f*** up and not ground anybody when a player show some toughness. Sometime i wish he had more tortorella in him.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

BTW - Luke Tuch addresses both facets and will join the team at some point in the 2nd half of the season IMO
Nothing.

That style wins hockey games, and playoff success. The game in the playoffs is much different than the regular season. Its about being a tough night for opponents.
This team has no wolf pack mentality, no identity. Already year 3 of rebuild. On good teams, the bottom 6 are players that bleed the identity of the team, that increase that pack mentality, that can get the momemtum back on our side. Our bottom 6 is soft, old and lazy ass dead wood.

Ti-Louis needs to wake the f*** up and not ground anybody when a player show some toughness. Sometime i wish he had more tortorella in him.
nailed it!!!

Florida man handled teams in the playoffs. Boston plays a lot like them. They take no shit, they just serve it out. I despise Marchand but that dude is exactly what I am talking about.

I can’t believe anyone can tell me Andy, Gally or Math play with an edge. I have seen Ottawa, the Bruins, and many others just wipe their feet on the Habs.

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

Nothing to do with injuries, it's a remark on how soft we are up front. Will not beat any good team without physicality up front . I agree Tuch and Florian if they pan out will address that. But at the moment we have no fear element anywhere on our top 4 lines and that's just unacceptable, no matter where you are in the rebuild. I don't count Pezzetta because he's not someone that should be in the lineup every game.

Reactions: salbutera

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Yeah, a little less kumbaya and a little more f-it.

Reactions: Hannibal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed but you usually add these pieces after your skilled guys reach their prime. Right now, Suzuki is basically the only one who is just starting his prime. You can make the case for Caufield and Guhle as well. Most of the others need development.

Transition years after a rebuild can and usually are painful. I would say over 50% of our fan base and media will not have the patience for it. The good news is our management does and that's all that matters.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry bud, I clearly explained it

Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson, Max Domi, Jeannot etc.

All of these guys play with an edge. They are physical, play with a nasty edge, can fight, and wear opponents down. They play with a mean streak, they don’t get pushed around nor do they let their teammates either. These are just a few guys who I put into the category of tough to play against. There are many others.

Like I said, the habs are soft as butter. No one comes to the Bell Center and worries about being physically pushed around. It’s an easy night physically playing the Habs.

Max Domi? You think Max Domi is physical and plays with a nasty edge?

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Max Domi? You think Max Domi is physical and plays with a nasty edge?
Yeah he does.

Just look at the other night.

People still bitching he cross checked Lane and tried to drive Struble face into the ice. Domi had more fights than wifi last year, just saying, and PMs too. Dude is a shit disturber and does not back down.

Compared to our bottom 6, he’s practically Jason the terrible. Heck, he would be our best bottom 6 guy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad