HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Get Calgary on the phone ASAP.

We’ll recoup a first with Savard anyway so we can definitely shower them with draft picks for Andersson, and give him a big contract this summer while we have a whole year to show him what we are all about; building a kick ass team.
If they gave up a lot for Andersson it would be for a signed Andersson.

Reactions: Gustave

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I may be the poster that expended the most words on here criticizing Bergevin, but I'll give him credit for the finals run. That was him.

It wasn't just riding Price, though that was a big part of it, the biggest part. Most of us would not have given that contract.

Bergevin added Chiarot and Edmondson. You'll recall that Chiarot was sometimes called shit-rot on here, and when Edmondson was added we had "advanced" stats people on here argue that he was the worst defenseman in the NHL -- no exaggeration. People actually said he was the worst dman in the NHL. He wasn't. Bergevin was right and the "advanced" stats people were wrong.

Bergevin added Toffoli and Anderson. They scored a lot of the goals during the quarantine. It was also capitalizing on cap space, which Bergevin had refused to waste in previous years and instead declined to spend it if nobody good was available.

Corey Perry helped. No other team in the NHL wanted him.

One can be critical of an individual in general and still recognize when they did well.
Every single talking head that off-season were unanimous in Habs having the best off season of any team in the league ..

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
IDK, was Florida a pretty good team? They had very little success in the regular season until last year. Or Dallas in the regular season prior to 2022-2023.

The analysis IN THE MOMENT was pretty good at pointing out the teams strengths, clear weaknesses and why Bergevin's plan was never going to work. I don't really see the point of lazy analysis in hindsight that amounts to few points=team sucked.
They were very solid in the regular season the last year Huberdeau was there if you remember their PP killed it all year long.
It was in the post season that it all fell apart which led them to letting Andrew Brunette go and of course that monster steal from Calgary.

Reactions: DAChampion

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
We have to wait a year so that he only has one year left on his contract, so July 2025.

But yes, that’s the idea, to keep him.
They won't trade for him until they can make a sign and trade. They traded for Laine who only has 2 years left but that was because they gave up very little. They won't give up big assets for a player they could lose in 2 years.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
IDK, was Florida a pretty good team? They had very little success in the regular season until last year. Or Dallas in the regular season prior to 2022-2023.
Florida Panthers
1725948161874.png

Dallas Stars
1725948128083.png

The analysis IN THE MOMENT was pretty good at pointing out the teams strengths, clear weaknesses and why Bergevin's plan was never going to work. I don't really see the point of lazy analysis in hindsight that amounts to few points=team sucked.
I don’t see the point of your lazy analysis if you’re going to suggest the 2021 Habs were comparable to two teams whose preceding four years showed a lot more potential and achieved a lot more when it mattered.

The 2021 Habs had the same problems as any other Habs team: no top-line talent outside of Price. Obviously, it doesn’t need re-litigating because we can see the full picture for what it was: an aberration.

Every single talking head that off-season were unanimous in Habs having the best off season of any team in the league ..
Coming off some of the worst off-seasons a team with a 10.5m goalie could have… the Habs certainly took advantage of the flat cap and tons of cap space to load up with secondary talents. Lacking high-end and dependable players meant it was always going to be a struggle to achieve consistency.

Without context it’s fine to praise the tidy work that offseason but within context we saw it fall apart in spectacular fashion.

Reactions: LaP

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I was looking at the recent acquisition by Ottawa. Given the irrational fear of many fans about Kirby Dach's injuries and not being able to play, i think the Habs need to alleviate this by making a move for a center. I would say Dach for Cousins straight up. Cousins is a known entity that has played at least 50 games per year. He is a solid 20pt per year contributor. Win-win move as we get a injury proof reliable plug and Ottawa takes the risk on Dach. Long term it helps ensure we also get another top 5 or perhaps a lottery pick. BossMan Hughes gotta protect da fanbase!

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Dvorak and a 1st and 2nd for Monahan and retain all of Dvorak’s salary. I want Monahan. Bring back Monahan. It won’t happen but he’s exactly what we need. I miss that guy

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Disagree on Dvorak as he is a good player who has had bad injury luck and played primarily with crappy wingers.
Dvorak was one of few players who dissapointed last year (Ylonen, RHP, Anderson, Pearson). Two are gone, RHP is injured and it will be very difficult for him once he comes back. Dvorak needs to come prepared for the camp because Kapanen, Beck and Evans will all fight for that 3C & 4C job. He might easily end up on waivers same as happened to Armia last year.

Reactions: LaP

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dvorak and a 1st and 2nd for Monahan and retain all of Dvorak’s salary. I want Monahan. Bring back Monahan. It won’t happen but he’s exactly what we need. I miss that guy

Yeah, probably won't happen but I do agree. This roster can use Monahan and the players as well as MSL, didn't like him being traded. Good move for the organization in terms of our long term building but at the same time, he's still a type of forward we need in our mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: StCaufield

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Get Calgary on the phone ASAP.

We’ll recoup a first with Savard anyway so we can definitely shower them with draft picks for Andersson, and give him a big contract this summer while we have a whole year to show him what we are all about; building a kick ass team.

What's with the R Andersson trade talk? I don't see him being a team need. Is it because he is a right hand shot?

Just let him become UFA and see what he is after then. No way would I trade assets for that "value contract" and get in a bidding war because he is a RD. I think this is a bad idea.

If we need a RD, lets wait and see how our current D shapes up. I personally rather just retain Savard. Better in his own zone and a better fit for Hutson.

Well that sucks

Don't matter if he extends or not... What matters if he ends up staying or not is how they proceed this coming season. Another missed playoffs and there will be more pressure to rebuild. The contract extension just maintains his trade value where it does not end up a pure rental.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Given that we've already established the ufa market for RHD sucks to begin with this just means Savard might return a 1st as there won't be a lot of options and teams are almost always looking to shore up their RHD.

I think there's a very good chance Savard can return a first. The RHD rental market is pretty thin and he'd be at the top of the list.

Hughes can't wait

images

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I would give a PTO to Clutterbuck. Or at least a minimum contract salary. He finished 5th in term of hit last year and got 20
Points….

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Don't matter if he extends or not... What matters if he ends up staying or not is how they proceed this coming season. Another missed playoffs and there will be more pressure to rebuild. The contract extension just maintains his trade value where it does not end up a pure rental.
Gives another avenue to acquire Crosby though. The more options to acquire him the more likelihood we get him.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Florida Panthers
View attachment 906204

Dallas Stars
View attachment 906203

I don’t see the point of your lazy analysis if you’re going to suggest the 2021 Habs were comparable to two teams whose preceding four years showed a lot more potential and achieved a lot more when it mattered.

The 2021 Habs had the same problems as any other Habs team: no top-line talent outside of Price. Obviously, it doesn’t need re-litigating because we can see the full picture for what it was: an aberration.

I don't know why you think I said or suggested that the 2021 Habs were comparable to those two teams when my point was that the way you measure teams doesn't make sense.

Everybody knows that Montreal had a lack of skater talent. My point is that a team that is not "play-off caliber" doesn't just luck into a cup finals. A team that isn't a true contender? Frequently. Bergevin specifically made moves for Montreal to be more competitive that season, it was just never going to make them a contender or be sustainable - that doesn't mean they were bad.

Obviously it would be/and is better to be rebuilding instead of retooling so that they can actually add the elite talent needed to be a contender, but minimizing the limited good feels like a thing that someone who just started watching the team after the cup run would do.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't know why you think I said or suggested that the 2021 Habs were comparable to those two teams when my point was that the way you measure teams doesn't make sense.

Everybody knows that Montreal had a lack of skater talent. My point is that a team that is not "play-off caliber" doesn't just luck into a cup finals. A team that isn't a true contender? Frequently. Bergevin specifically made moves for Montreal to be more competitive that season, it was just never going to make them a contender or be sustainable - that doesn't mean they were bad.

Obviously it would be/and is better to be rebuilding instead of retooling so that they can actually add the elite talent needed to be a contender, but minimizing the limited good feels like a thing that someone who just started watching the team after the cup run would do.
The team was 18th in total points and would have been far worse in their normal conference against much tougher teams.
The only reason we even made the post season is because Vancouver totally sucked against us.
Nothing about the regular season led me to believe they were posting play-off caliber numbers.
We lost 5 games in a row to end that season and backed in to those playoffs.

Reactions: ReHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I want nothing to do with that contract

The 5 year term is risky for a player with lots of miliage yes but he's signed from age 30-34. Not 35+. I don't think he will do much on the Blue Jackets but I think he is a solid player and he will do OK. I really do like his faceoffs and forecheck. He creates a lot of turnovers and is a solid player along the boards and in front of the net.

I'd like to have him on our roster but 3 year term would fit better. Having him around mentoring Beck, Kapanen, and Hage would be a positive for me. More so with Beck/Kapanen than Hage because Hage likely is a few years away from cracking the roster.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
What's with the R Andersson trade talk? I don't see him being a team need. Is it because he is a right hand shot?
I'd say just because he's good and he's available. But with his team-friendly AAV contending teams will pay a fortune in futures for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad