HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
He is certainly pencilled in as the 3rd line center and there is nothing wrong with his effort, he just plays a very safe game. MSL has always had high praise for Dvorak's play. He is a center who plays a defensive role by assuming the F3 role more than an offensive center does. Hopefully MSL can get him out of his shell and use his skill a little more for offensive opportunities.

I see it as

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Laine - Dach - Newhook/Armia
Roy - Dvorak - Armia/Newhook
Anderson - Evans - Gallagher

I prefer Newhook over Armia as the RW with Dach because he is left handed and can augment Dach's right handedness on set draws whereas Dvorak is left handed and Newhook would be less useful on his line.

There is no rush to move Dvorak, especially for a 4th round pick. He will start the season as our 3C imo and be given an opportunity to either improve his trade value for later in the season or to be an integral part of a playoff push.
This looks like a pretty solid well rounded lineup, however if Laine/Dach get injured again it's all a house of cards. I do hope the Habs get another top center in the meantime. When it comes to Anderson and Armia, if they can be physical, they will do fine on bottom six.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Dvorak going to Columbus makes too much sense for both sides. The Habs need to make some room up front, while the Jackets add a veteran center, soon to be UFA, which takes them almost exactly to the cap floor.

To Montreal: 4th round pick (acquired from St Louis

To Columbus: Christian Dvorak
Keeping Dvorak for now makes more sense, IMO. The Habs still don't have a lot of depth at center. They probably prefer Newhook to play wing and Beck most likely starts the season in the AHL. That leaves Suzuki, Dach, Dvorak and Evans as the starters when everyone is healthy, with Newhook able to slide to center if someone gets hurt.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I see it as

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Laine - Dach - Newhook/Armia
Roy - Dvorak - Armia/Newhook
Anderson - Evans - Gallagher

I prefer Newhook over Armia as the RW with Dach because he is left handed and can augment Dach's right handedness on set draws whereas Dvorak is left handed and Newhook would be less useful on his line.

I prefer three scoring lines.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Dvorak-Dach-Laine
Roy-Newhook-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I can't understand why some people here want to sign or trade for 4th liners at this point in time. We already have a bunch of vets occupying those lines. They're overpaid for what they bring, but they bring the same thing or more than 3rd or 4th liners that you would sign.

It's not because you're pissed at Anderson or Gallagher that they're worse than a 4th liner you can bring in. Stop acting on emotions.
I share your opinion, especially since we will have the fifth choice for the waivers and therefore will have the possibility of having more talented players.

Reactions: themilosh

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Dvorak-Dach-Laine
Roy-Newhook-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher

Dvorak is a better center than Newhook at this point and I don't think the organization is going to push Newhook down the lineup for Dvorak as the whole point of acquiring him was to give him opportunities higher in the lineup but your lineup is awfully close to mine and there are alot of versatile forwards so maybe MSL looks at this. I just don't see it happening to start the season.

I do like the idea of keeping Roy-Newhook-Armia together as they showed great chemistry.....Dvorak just stands out like a sore thumb as a 2nd line LW

It will be interesting to see which side MSL wants Laine to play on as he has played both wings (center as well but that was plain stupid on Columbus' part)

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018

Dvorak-Dach-Laine
Roy-Newhook-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher
Love the fact DVO could take faceoffs on his strong side, something Dach isn't very good at. He's quite a good playmaker too, people underestimate his offensive touch because because of his defensive role. I also prefer him on the PP bumper spot than Newhook who can't finish anything 🙄

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Dvorak is a better center than Newhook at this point and I don't think the organization is going to push Newhook down the lineup for Dvorak as the whole point of acquiring him was to give him opportunities higher in the lineup but your lineup is awfully close to mine and there are alot of versatile forwards so maybe MSL looks at this. I just don't see it happening to start the season.

I do like the idea of keeping Roy-Newhook-Armia together as they showed great chemistry.....Dvorak just stands out like a sore thumb as a 2nd line LW

It will be interesting to see which side MSL wants Laine to play on as he has played both wings (center as well but that was plain stupid on Columbus' part)
Newhook managed to bring Armia and Gallagher back to life.
Something Dvorak never got close to doing since here. Hell he sucked the life out of any line he played on.

There's no point in breaking up the only time the 3rd line looked decent.

Plus no better opportunity for Roy to reach the next step than with Dach and Laine.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Perhaps Dvo looks good in camp and takes the faceoffs for Dach and covers defensively a bit for Laine. Maybe his trade value even goes up.

Dvorak or anyone else we use is just a one-year placeholder. Dvorak produced very well in the OHL when paired with talented players. Perhaps he can get 45 points while we await Demigod.

We could also trade Dvorak to get cap compliant and acquire an experienced scoring winger for one year at league minimum, such as Pacioretty or JVR.

Newhook managed to bring Armia and Gallagher back to life.
Something Dvorak never got close to doing since here. Hell he sucked the life out of any line he played on.

There's no point in breaking up the only time the 3rd line looked decent.

Plus no better opportunity for Roy to reach the next step than with Dach and Laine.
If Roy looks good in camp, and Gallagher looks better than Dvorak, this could be tried too.

I just like Newhook as a 15 minute 3rd line center including PP2 duty. I agree he finished last year strong ast C.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Dvorak-Dach-Laine
Roy-Newhook-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher
I think it will be Roy, Newhook and Armia fighting for that spot next to Dach&Laine. I cannot imagine how Dvorak or Anderson could be beter than all of those 3.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The Habs team that was good enough to win three rounds was good enough to win four.

For one, the Lightning were 20 million over the cap, it was a fake team.

For two, that Lightning team was almost taken out by the Islanders. Could those Habs not have beaten those Islanders?

I didn't like the Price mega contract at the time, but hindsight proves it was a legitimate gamble.
With how badly Price played in the Final round the Habs stood no chance against any team. Not enough goals scored, not enough goals prevented.

Reactions: electron58

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
With how badly Price played in the Final round the Habs stood no chance against any team. Not enough goals scored, not enough goals prevented.

Price is the reason we made it to the finals in the first place. But yeah, he was done at this point, same with Weber, they both took the team on their shoulders.

HuGo, contrarily to Bergevin, seems to understand a good team needs more than a generational goalie in nets to save the team from itself, though, which bodes well for our future.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Dvorak-Dach-Laine
Roy-Newhook-Armia
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher

I think Newhook will be on Dach's line. They share the center load and faceoffs. Doubt Dvorak is in the top 6 and on the wing.

1st two lines are predicable. Last two are moving parts before it stabilizes. Evans and Dvorak will be our bottom 2 centers. Book it

Reactions: Whalers Fan and bsl

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think it will be Roy, Newhook and Armia fighting for that spot next to Dach&Laine. I cannot imagine how Dvorak or Anderson could be beter than all of those 3.
The three bolded players Roy, Newhook and Armia form a great line. If possible, I'd rather find a ONE SEASON placeholder on Laine's line for Demigod who is coming next year.

Dvorak? Pacioretty? JVR?

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
The three bolded players Roy, Newhook and Armia form a great line. If possible, I'd rather find a ONE SEASON placeholder on Laine's line for Demigod who is coming next year.

Dvorak? Pacioretty? JVR?
Sorry, those are three horrible options. I want to be our 2nd line as good as possible. Laine and Dach both missed a lot of hockey and you need to keep their motivation up. Lining them with some burned out veteran will not help. Remember how it worked out with Tanner Pearson last year?

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Islanders even if they had beaten Tampa were crap. Habs were good enough to beat them with an average goaltender.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Islanders even if they had beaten Tampa were crap. Habs were good enough to beat them with an average goaltender.
The Isles gave the Bolts a better go than the Habs did, not sure where you get off calling them crap but the Habs good enough to beat them. The Isles were better than the Habs at the same game the Habs played.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don't understand why some fans feel the need to sell the Finals run short. It was a great achievement.
Simply put, it was an argument most often put forth to make the Bergevin-era look like it culminated into something when in fact it was a freak event and all of us who followed that season know the Habs fell apart that season, tumbled ass-first into the playoffs and put on a memorable but otherwise unremarkable run.

In the spring of 2021 Price stood on his head and carried the team until he didn't and we lost. How much should we celebrate this great achievement?

In context: The Habs had won zero playoff rounds* (excl. one "play-in" round during Covid) in the preceding FIVE years and won zero playoff rounds in the succeeding three years (and counting).

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 15.31.18.png

It further reinforces that the Finals run was an aberration.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Simply put, it was an argument most often put forth to make the Bergevin-era look like it culminated into something when in fact it was a freak event and all of us who followed that season know the Habs fell apart that season, tumbled ass-first into the playoffs and put on a memorable but otherwise unremarkable run.

In the spring of 2021 Price stood on his head and carried the team until he didn't and we lost. How much should we celebrate this great achievement?

In context: The Habs had won zero playoff rounds* (excl. one "play-in" round during Covid) in the preceding FIVE years and won zero playoff rounds in the succeeding three years (and counting).

View attachment 905990

It further reinforces that the Finals run was an aberration.
Remove the covid and it's 7 years of non playoffs.
Dear god our roster was bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad