HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm actually in on Askarov HARD if I'm Kent.

I was very low on Monty early on (I kind of felt about him the same as people now feel about Primeau) but he's played some good hockey and has earned the #1 role for this team at this point in time. Will he be the guy in the future? I'm not sure, but he's good enough for now, so that's good enough for me now as well.

Getting Askarov and having him work out some kinks in a low-stress environment as a 1B for a couple of years before we're really ready to rock? To me, it's almost a no-brainer. I wanted to do the deal that was rumored in the Nashville draft when it was supposedly him + a couple of first-rounders for the Reinbacher pick.

The value/what we'd have to give up is the kicker for me. Would it have to be Fowler? Do we have the draft capital to trade/would we want to? I don't know.
I disagree. Have to pay thru nose to get Askarov and goalies Are a wildcard. Plus we deep in net

Reactions: calder candidate

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I disagree. Have to pay thru nose to get Askarov and goalies Are a wildcard. Plus we deep in net
I don't think we'd have to pay through the nose at all. I think they'd want a fair deal but I don't think we'd be giving up premium assets.

Askarov said he won't report to Milwaukee so they can't just say "too bad, you're going to play anyway." He wants out and he isn't going to play.

"Goalies are a wildcard" and "we're deep in net" is a very oxymoronic statement. Remember when Zach Fucale was going to be the next guy for us? Then it was Primeau. Now we're hanging our hats on Dobes and Fowler too. We have some interesting prospects, sure, and some may pan out but none with the upcoming pedigree of Askarov.

We picked Carey Price when we had Theodore, Huet, and Danis in the system too and I think we made the right choice there. Goalies are wildcards but pedigree does count in some situations.

Reactions: Vachon23

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't think we'd have to pay through the nose at all. I think they'd want a fair deal but I don't think we'd be giving up premium assets.

Askarov said he won't report to Milwaukee so they can't just say "too bad, you're going to play anyway." He wants out and he isn't going to play.

"Goalies are a wildcard" and "we're deep in net" is a very oxymoronic statement. Remember when Zach Fucale was going to be the next guy for us? Then it was Primeau. Now we're hanging our hats on Dobes and Fowler too. We have some interesting prospects, sure, and some may pan out but none with the upcoming pedigree of Askarov.

We picked Carey Price when we had Theodore, Huet, and Danis in the system too and I think we made the right choice there. Goalies are wildcards but pedigree does count in some situations.
If Askarov wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL you'd need to get some kind of return for Primeau, otherwise we are no matching trade partners.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If Askarov wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL you'd need to get some kind of return for Primeau, otherwise we are no matching trade partners.
No problem at all IMO. Chicago, San Jose, etc.. all of the teams rumored on Askarov would probably be willing to take a flyer on Primeau too. They'd want a young goalie with some promise to grow.

I'm not a big fan of Primeau. He gets beat glove side way too much at this level IMO.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Man. Just f*** Primeau. Waive him if needed. We all know he will never be a #1 goalie in this league.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Curious...what would you give up for any of these players?
Too much options ahahah.

For me getting a guy like Andersson would be the most important move to do. We need a solid guy that can efficiently take 1st pair load on the right side while Reinbacher is developing. It would help him and Mailloux getting comfortable in the NHL. The guy is still fairly young and could play the veteran presence on the right when we contend. Somehow, i want to replace (directly or indirectly) Matheson with Andersson, for the reasons mentionned above and so we can also give Guhle is spot back on the left side. At that point, i think Calgary would take pics and prospects for Andersson, which we have alot.

If Nashville or Winnipeg has interest in Matheson, i would be ok with a trade around Matheson and one of Askarov or McGroarty. Like i said many times, i don't see a future for Matheson with the Habs so better get value for him this summer or next. But i agree with people saying Askarov and McGroarty are not must get players, they are more of cheery on the cake kinda trades. But i will say Askarov fits our contending window better than Fowler and McGroarty would be a great physical and grit add to a 3rd line of Hage and Newhook/Roy.

Not sure he's claimed right now, so you're back at problem #1: There's only 2 spots for goaltenders on the roster.
If he is not claimed, then he plays in the AHL. I reealy don't see Primeau as a problem right now.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
What's next??

McGroarty?
Askarov?
Rasmus Andersson?
Right now, if you want to really compete as of next season, the move to make is to go after Andersson. This makes us deeper and harder to play against and allows us to not start the season with 3 rookies.. If things don't go to plan, you trade Savard anyway that will be a UFA.

Askarov isn't really needed right now unless you want to trade Monty, + we have solid depth in goal that was drafted the last 2 years...

McGroarty just has a stay away from him vibe

Reactions: Benstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad