HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No thank you to any and all mercenary vets.. they bring nothing to a young team except take valuable ice time away from the prospects we are actively developing and investing in. The reason these guys are available in August (unsigned) is bc 32 other teams see no use for them..

Yet somehow, posters in here are actively crying why we haven't brought in the "help"..

NHL has always been an old way of thinking, but reality is it's a young mans game: 23-28yos only.

Thank the lord, we have a management team who understands how to build..
You wanna plug holes with corks on your dingy, by all means go ahead... Hugo is building an ocean cruiser, and it's still at the dry land dock, getting ready fir christening
No, they take time away from Anderson, Gallagher, RHP, Pearson, Ylonen, Pezseta, Dvorak and Evans. Helping your young players by bringing in better players than the scrap the bottom is built out of is how you actually help your team.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No, they take time away from Anderson, Gallagher, RHP, Pearson, Ylonen, Pezseta, Dvorak and Evans. Helping your young players by bringing in better players than the scrap the bottom is built out of is how you actually help your team.
Ylonen and Pearson are gone. Pezzetta probably won't be around for long. RHP is injured. Anderson, Gallagher and Dvorak will not be replaced by turds like Sprong etc. When they have 12 forwards that are here for the long term they will do something about Anderson and Gallagher.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Ylonen and Pearson are gone. Pezzetta probably won't be around for long. RHP is injured. Anderson, Gallagher and Dvorak will not be replaced by turds like Sprong etc. When they have 12 forwards that are here for the long term they will do something about Anderson and Gallagher.
Anderson/Gallagher/Dvorak are turds themselves, Sprong is a better player than all three of them. Not saying we should have signed him, but we can stop with the narrative that "guys like him won't improve our team" when we have the worst (and most expensive) bottom 6 in the league.

Reactions: Rapala and Mrb1p

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Im sure having sulking overpaid vets who are healthy scratches adds extra happiness to the room.

I remember my first yr college, oh boy i earned a spot as RW (off wing) on 4th line.. the C was an actual vet.. dude was miserable, lol... i was just happy to dress, there were 5 black aces..
Half way through the season, Vet is benched, i get moved to C to lead the rookie line.. effing eh!!! "We" were so full of vigor and excitement we got our minutes equal to 3rd line for playoffs...

That, imo is more important than having an "actual" 4th line joyrneyman. We played every shift like a game 7 playoff... it's actually not that hard to do when youre only on for ~4min/period.. all out!! And guess what? The top two lines fed off of what us rookies were doing!

Winning is created in the room.. on the ice is where you go to war for your mates.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No thank you to any and all mercenary vets.. they bring nothing to a young team except take valuable ice time away from the prospects we are actively developing and investing in. The reason these guys are available in August (unsigned) is bc 32 other teams see no use for them..

Yet somehow, posters in here are actively crying why we haven't brought in the "help"..

NHL has always been an old way of thinking, but reality is it's a young mans game: 23-28yos only.

Thank the lord, we have a management team who understands how to build..
You wanna plug holes with corks on your dingy, by all means go ahead... Hugo is building an ocean cruiser, and it's still at the dry land dock, getting ready fir christening
Yes I know you have confidence in management. I'm sure if Hughes had landed the good sized Sprong instead of small, slow AHL star Barré-Boulet, you would tell us how good a depth move it is to get a prime-age cheap player on a one-year deal, anxious to find a long-term home and who averages 20 goals per 82 games in just 12-13 minutes per game. Oh, and was a playoff star throughout his junior years.

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Yes I know you have confidence in management. I'm sure if Hughes had landed the good sized Sprong instead of small, slow AHL star Barré-Boulet, you would telll us how good a depth move it is to get a prime-age cheap player on a one-year deal, anxious to find a long-term home and who averages 20 goals per 82 games in just 12-13 minutes per game. Oh, and was a playoff star throughout his junior years.
I'm rather indifferent about the barreboulet deal, it's a head scratcher.. but whatevs.. insignificant.

But i do know i agree with 95% of everything hugo has done so far. Which makes sitting back and enjoying the show so much more fun!

For you youngens, the last time i had 95% faith in management was 1 minute before Houle signing. It's finally back to normalcy... finally.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes I know you have confidence in management. I'm sure if Hughes had landed the good sized Sprong instead of small, slow AHL star Barré-Boulet, you would tell us how good a depth move it is to get a prime-age cheap player on a one-year deal, anxious to find a long-term home and who averages 20 goals per 82 games in just 12-13 minutes per game. Oh, and was a playoff star throughout his junior years.

Ever think that maybe there's a reason why a 28yr old coming off of a 40+pt season, who averages 20 goals/season, was only able to land a 1-year deal worth less than 1M$?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Ever think that maybe there's a reason why a 28yr old coming off of a 40+pt season, who averages 20 goals/season, was only able to land a 1-year deal worth less than 1M$?

First of all, he just turned 27.

And yes, there is a possible reason. Same reason that Corey Perry was available Fall of 2020. Probably sought a raise over his $2.0M salary last year, missed the first wave of signings, and then had to take a show-me minimum deal.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im sure having sulking overpaid vets who are healthy scratches adds extra happiness to the room.

I remember my first yr college, oh boy i earned a spot as RW (off wing) on 4th line.. the C was an actual vet.. dude was miserable, lol... i was just happy to dress, there were 5 black aces..
Half way through the season, Vet is benched, i get moved to C to lead the rookie line.. effing eh!!! "We" were so full of vigor and excitement we got our minutes equal to 3rd line for playoffs...

That, imo is more important than having an "actual" 4th line joyrneyman. We played every shift like a game 7 playoff... it's actually not that hard to do when youre only on for ~4min/period.. all out!! And guess what? The top two lines fed off of what us rookies were doing!

Winning is created in the room.. on the ice is where you go to war for your mates.
False dillema again. We dont care about Anderson because he doesn't care about this team. Sprong isn't my pick at all, day 1 was the time to get bottom 6er but it's a lame excuse. We have the worst bottom 9 in the league and only 1 or 2 players pushing to make the team in Beck and Heineman.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Pezz on the team. Shows how bad the bottom 6 is
Pezzetta is a 215 pound, excellent skating 4th liner who finishes his checks. He is a prototypical 4th liner. He isn't an issue on the 4th line. Habs need more of these types on the 4th line.

I should be easy for rookies to take their spots then?
What rookies currently are destined for 4th line duties? Tuch, F Xhekaj? Are they ready?
Does a player like Heineman become a 4th liner?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Pezzetta is a 215 pound, excellent skating 4th liner who finishes his checks. He is a prototypical 4th liner. He isn't an issue on the 4th line. Habs need more of these types on the 4th line.

What rookies currently are destined for 4th line duties? Tuch, F Xhekaj? Are they ready?
Does a player like Heineman become a 4th liner?
So you agree he building of this team isn't quite going well.... Unless you like to play Patience in buckets and dream of untap potential.

I like to dream of winning the lottery personally, it's more pleasant. :D

Edit: Maybe that's why we can't do any significant trades to improve....

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So you agree he building of this team isn't quite going well.... Unless you like to play Patience in buckets and dream of untap potential.

I like to dream of winning the lottery personally, it's more pleasant. :D
I just believe that for a 4th liner type of player Michael Pezzetta is exactly the type of player teams want on their 4th line. If he was waived he would get picked up immediately

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

And yes, there is a possible reason. Same reason that Corey Perry was available Fall of 2020. Probably sought a raise over his $2.0M salary last year, missed the first wave of signings, and then had to take a show-me minimum deal.
That doesn't explain why he has already played for 5 teams, puts up 40 pts and has to sign for the minimum. Either not good enough to be near a scoring line or a pain in the ass.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

- 27... Right, even younger. (Perry was 35)

- He signed on July, long before the end of free agency. (perry signed a week before camp, in the COVID shortened season).

- spring is coming off of the 2nd best season of his short career. Perry was coming off of the two least productive years of his career, which was after having been bought out.

- Cap has gone up considerably since 2020.

- Perry signed for league minimum and chose Montreal because he grew up as a fan of the team, and for the opportunity to play in a Canadian city & his relationship with Weber, Price & Julien

Not remotely similar to Sprong... Not even in the least bit 😂

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
False dillema again. We dont care about Anderson because he doesn't care about this team.

I don't like Anderson's game at all, but that's just a silly comment.

Sprong isn't my pick at all, day 1 was the time to get bottom 6er but it's a lame excuse. We have the worst bottom 9 in the league and only 1 or 2 players pushing to make the team in Beck and Heineman.

Most expensive bottom 6, sure.

Worst? That's also a silly comment. Our bottom 6 is easily top 1/2, if not top tier in the league. The problem is that BargainBin tied up 20M in cap on 4 of them. Cut that to <10M$, and add a Stamkos up front (+ another 2-4M$ roster upgrade), and voila... Great bottom 6, great top 6.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think he brings what teams want in a 4th liner.
Yes, that's why there's at least 31 other Pezzettas around the league and probably more. That's the reason his trade value is tending towards 0. Teams can pick up Pezzettas in any rounds of a draft. The fact that we haven't done this since his draft year (2016), makes me think this club is building like a bunch of drunkards. Makes you wish we still had Timmins, right?

Reactions: Mrb1p

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes, that's why there's at least 31 other Pezzettas around the league and probably more. That's the reason his trade value is tending towards 0. Teams can pick up Pezzettas in any rounds of a draft. The fact that we haven't done this since his draft year (2016), makes me think this club is building like a bunch of drunkards. Makes you wish we still had Timmins, right?

Sure. But it's nice to have ours at 800k rather than the 2M$ teams pay for that kind of player on the summer UFA market (Lomberg, Stenlund, Duhhaine, Carrier etc.)

Reactions: 417 and Habs10Habs

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Sure. But it's nice to have ours at 800k rather than the 2M$ teams pay for that kind of player on the summer UFA market (Lomberg, Stenlund, Duhhaine, Carrier etc.)
We're not strapped for cap, besides we have that type of contract with Armia also.

It would have been nicer to draft people like him and have someone ready to take his spot. I guess they were too busy looking for diamonds in the rough on a beach. The presence of Pezzetta, who brings very little, is a sign the drafting/building is not going as well as some would suggest.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't like Anderson's game at all, but that's just a silly comment.

Most expensive bottom 6, sure.

Worst? That's also a silly comment. Our bottom 6 is easily top 1/2, if not top tier in the league. The problem is that BargainBin tied up 20M in cap on 4 of them. Cut that to <10M$, and add a Stamkos up front (+ another 2-4M$ roster upgrade), and voila... Great bottom 6, great top 6.
Esti. I've read delusional things, but youre telling me that this :
1722700205353.png

Is a top tier bottom 6 ? There's 3 NHL players in there. Other teams have literaly 40 goals scorers on their bottom 6 and multiple 50 points player, our best player is Jake Evans. There's no way youre going to look at me with a straight face and say this.

Mind you, I think we have the worse bottom 6 in the league, even the Sharks and Ducks have more talent on their bottom two lines.

• Haha
Reactions: Babyhockey

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We're not strapped for cap, besides we have that type of contract with Armia also.

It would have been nicer to draft people like him and have someone ready to take his spot. I guess they were too busy looking for diamonds in the rough on a beach. The presence of Pezzetta, who brings very little, is a sign the drafting/building is not going as well as some would suggest.

Couldn't disagree more. He's a very good 13th forward, on an appropriate cap hit, who knows his role and fits in very well with the group. You're underestimating what goes in to building a team, which is far different than building a capgeek roster.

If he has another strong season this year, he'll like get a bigger offer elsewhere... Just in time for one of Tuch or Xhekaj to be ready to jump into that spot.

Of all the critiques of this GM & , this may well be the weakest. Of the 3 drafts KH has led, there hasn't been one team that has a 4th liner playing yet... Only 6 fwds from '22 have played 20+ games lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00