HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Got a better chance finding Jimmy Hoffa then signing Drai in UFA.
100pct agree …… I would have said say more chance at spotting the lockness monster ….but yea Hoffa works too

Aha! As I suspected, the impulse to avoid talented players, even third line talent, is rooted in the wish to draft high (tank) "just one more time". But it might not be, if losing becomes a habit.
You chose to skip the most important part I said , which is give thé young guys a chance

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think David Perron is exactly the type of players we don’t need now.
We need a top talent or better give the young players more room and get a better pick
Oh boy.

This sounds like crazy talk to me.

Not wanting a Perron to get us 10 more goals than RHP or Daniel Sprong 10 more goals than Barre-Boulet ** because it will worsen our draft pick ** is exactly the same as wishing Kirby Dach does not get 10 more goals than his projection because it will also worsen our pick.

While we are at it, let's hope David Savard does not block too many shots, or Alex Newhook does not improve on faceoffs.

And Price forbid Monty steals too many games, better make Primeau number one to make sure we don't draft worse than 9th
You chose to skip the most important part I said , which is give thé young guys a chance
Which youngsters? RHP? Pez? ABB? Perron or Sprong would not have blocked Roy from performing with Dach or Newhook, nor Heineman from outplaying Anderson if he could.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Oh boy.

This sounds like crazy talk to me.

Not wanting a Perron to get us 10 more goals than RHP or Daniel Sprong 10 more goals than Barre-Boulet ** because it will worsen our draft pick ** is exactly the same as wishing Kirby Dach does not get 10 more goals than his projection because it will also worsen our pick.

While we are at it, let's hope David Savard does not block too many shots, or Alex Newhook does not improve on faceoffs.

And Price forbid Monty steals too many games, better make Primeau number one to make sure we don't draft worse than 9t

Which youngsters? RHP? Pez? ABB? Perron or Sprong would not have blocked Roy from performing with Dach or Newhook, nor Heineman from outplaying Anderson if he could.
i guess I want the team to aim higher then adding ten goals . But as you said it’s crazy talk . Young players well I am talking of the becks of the world and not rhp or pez.
So yes I would take beck instead of perron

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
i guess I want the team to aim higher then adding ten goals . But as you said it’s crazy talk . Young players well I am talking of the becks of the world and not rhp or pez.
So yes I would take beck instead of perron
There is room for Perron AND one or two meritorious youngsters. But it's also a benefit not to rush the youngsters, no?

Maybe Perron replaces a still-slumping Anderson.

And how is ABB more useful than Daniel Sprong???? If we had Sprong instead of ABB, how does that prevent us from still aiming higher for a 2nd lined talent?

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
There is room for Perron AND one or two meritorious youngsters. But it's also a benefit not to rush the youngsters, no?

And how is ABB more useful than Daniel Sprong???? If we had Sprong instead of ABB, how does that prevent us from still aiming higher for a 2nd lined talent?
You do realize Perron was signed by the Sens? Why do people keep bringing up his name?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You do realize Perron was signed by the Sens? Why do people keep bringing up his name?
Perron signed with the (edit) Sens because KH would not give him 2 years.

Sprong signed for $975k in VCR because Habs would not give him $1.150M for one year.

Last edited:

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

Perron is 36 y old and wasn't the fastest player to begin with. I think the Habs want to play with more pace and 2 years is too much of a risk at this point.

Sprong was never gonna happen. He doesn't fit at all with team culture. They finally got rid of Hoffman, they weren't going to add a similar guy.

I'd rather they keep their options open than get either of those guys.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I know he had a *very* bad season last year, but we really do need Anderson to pick up his form again. I do think he's a much better player than he showed last season.

I still think he can be a very good 3rd line player, and when he's using his size he's extremely valuable in the playoffs. Perron replacing him this season would mean we would need to give up a 1st to move him. That asset could be used elsewhere to help us.

If he has another season like last year, then I completely understand needing to move on - But at least for this year - I believe the risk of Anderson finding his form outweighs the reward of finding a veteran to replace him.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
He had 6pts in 22gp in our Finals run. Career stats: 14pts in 43gp, a 27pt pace in the playoffs that is totally in line with his regular season 34pt/season pace.
I think the further down the lineup you go, the less value I put on stats. It may be revisionist history on my part but I remember him having a significant impact on that playoff run, especially against the Leafs. I felt that at some point, we found a sweet spot with the amount of minutes he was given. When his ice time was cut down a little, I started to notice him more during his shifts because he had more energy to play his game.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Perron or Sprong won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so they are of no use.
Xhekaj won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

Engstrom won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

Newhook won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

Beck won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

Kapanen won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

It's a team game. All together, with everyone contributing something, teams make the playoffs.

Perron and Sprong could have contributed way more than RHP, Pez and ABB. Maybe Perron makes up for another bad Anderson year.

Maybe they would be the difference makers, maybe not. But to not try, with short-term reasonable contracts for proven secondary scorers, is a head scratcher.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Ok, so if Hutson isn't what he's been hyped to be next season, would he be categorized as a reclamation project?

When I say peak HFBoards, its the idea that young players are finished projects in their early 20s. Florida literally just won a cup in large part because they targeted guys like that for years.

And maybe don't address it because a proper rebuild =/= a real tank. You can do a proper rebuild without tanking, but tanking requires actively gutting your roster (and not just trading vets and rentals), which Montreal has never done.
Stop comparing these guys to Hutson. He was picked 62nd compared to Dach at 3rd and Newhook at 16 and I’m pretty sure they both started the nhl at earlier ages than Hutson.

As for the rebuild, just because the Habs didn’t tear everything down, it’s still a rebuild. Besides, how exactly are they moving Anderson, Gally and Price contracts without giving up assets and retaining? You talk about gutting the roster, but I’m pretty sure the Habs now have the youngest team in the league. Which somehow is younger than the Hawks who you like to bring up as doing a proper rebuild.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
In your dreams...perhaps.
Yes, I'm aware of that
According to some on this board, Draisaitl is overrated and won’t be worth the contract so we shouldn’t sign him ...,lol
Posters are worried about the final 2 years of this potential contract while ignoring how he'd still be a top player in the league for the first 5.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Xhekaj won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

Engstrom won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

Newhook won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

Beck won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

Kapanen won't get the Habs near a playoff spot so he is of no use.

It's a team game. All together, with everyone contributing something, teams make the playoffs.

Perron and Sprong could have contributed way more than RHP, Pez and ABB. Maybe Perron makes up for another bad Anderson year.

Maybe they would be the difference makers, maybe not. But to not try, with short-term reasonable contracts for proven secondary scorers, is a head scratcher.
Perron or Sprong are both more of the same of what the Habs have, I am all for adding players but they are not what the Habs need. The time to add players was on day one of free agency. Now there's nothing left. Maybe Clutterbuck, Kubalik, Pacioretty or Cousins... But at this point I'd rather leave the spot open to someone else I think.

The only one I'd be interested in is Sammy Blais, I don't think he's signed. As a fourth liner, a year... It's not a lot of risk.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Man that 3rd and 4th line in third comparing defense or something to be desired

Was hoping he would have short up the third and fourth line a bit with some veteran

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Perron or Sprong are both more of the same of what the Habs have, I am all for adding players but they are not what the Habs need. The time to add players was on day one of free agency. Now there's nothing left. Maybe Clutterbuck, Kubalik, Pacioretty or Cousins... But at this point I'd rather leave the spot open to someone else I think.

The only one I'd be interested in is Sammy Blais, I don't think he's signed. As a fourth liner, a year... It's not a lot of risk.
No thank you to any and all mercenary vets.. they bring nothing to a young team except take valuable ice time away from the prospects we are actively developing and investing in. The reason these guys are available in August (unsigned) is bc 32 other teams see no use for them..

Yet somehow, posters in here are actively crying why we haven't brought in the "help"..

NHL has always been an old way of thinking, but reality is it's a young mans game: 23-28yos only.

Thank the lord, we have a management team who understands how to build..
You wanna plug holes with corks on your dingy, by all means go ahead... Hugo is building an ocean cruiser, and it's still at the dry land dock, getting ready fir christening

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00