HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If he earns it, what's the problem? If he doesn't earn it, you let him go. That's the point: it is LOW-RISK. It's like a trial period.

Apply the same standards in your arguments:

Drai will be 29 when he's UFA, you want to give him a contract until he's a living mummy?
Marner and Rantanen will be 28, same age Laine will be, you want to give him a contract until he's retired?

Pro-Marner but anti-Laine, wow.

Guess what-- if Laine doesn't prove he's worth it, he doesn't get retained. Simple, isn't it.
Wouldn't say it's low risk unless it comes out that you get 50% retained and don't have to pay much, then it's low risk, low cost, so go for it.

Draisaitl is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Laine, or really anything this team has. Drai for example at 7 years, even when he's 36/37 is more than likely better than Laine at 30. Pretty easy choice.

Laine has 8 goals in 24 games. Given he's a goal scorer, that's pretty much being a disappointment like Marner in the playoffs.

Regular season Marner is a 90+ point, two-way forward and again, at this point significantly better than Laine.

Yes, if Laine doesn't do well, he doesn't get re-signed, or at the very least doesn't get a raise, but you're still dealing with his almost 9 mill cap hit while he's not doing anything. Potentially get a more expensive Anderson...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wouldn't say it's low risk unless it comes out that you get 50% retained and don't have to pay much, then it's low risk, low cost, so go for it.

Draisaitl is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Laine, or really anything this team has. Drai for example at 7 years, even when he's 36/37 is more than likely better than Laine at 30. Pretty easy choice.

Laine has 8 goals in 24 games. Given he's a goal scorer, that's pretty much being a disappointment like Marner in the playoffs.

Regular season Marner is a 90+ point, two-way forward and again, at this point significantly better than Laine.

Yes, if Laine doesn't do well, he doesn't get re-signed, or at the very least doesn't get a raise, but you're still dealing with his almost 9 mill cap hit while he's not doing anything. Potentially get a more expensive Anderson...
If Hughes believes in Laine, he'll get him but pay the price to have Columbus retain at least 1.2M so that his cap hit is below Suzuki's and fits in the cap structure.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Drai and Marner won’t even make it to UFA and if they would they would sign with a contender.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Why do you keep bringing up Drai and Marner? How would we get them?

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Why do you keep bringing up Drai and Marner? How would we get them?
I assume the idea is towards next summer when they are potential UFA’s that could be potentially blocked by a potentially useless 8.7 mil cap hit if Laine is on the books?

I’m not saying they are possibilities, but having 8.7 towards Laine on the books next summer could be a massive calculation backfire and is one of my biggest reasons for being hesitant to even acquire him for peanuts. Prefer they stay the course myself.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I assume the idea is towards next summer when they are potential UFA’s that could be potentially blocked by a potentially useless 8.7 mil cap hit if Laine is on the books?

I’m not saying they are possibilities, but having 8.7 towards Laine on the books next summer could be a massive calculation backfire and is one of my biggest reasons for being hesitant to even acquire him for peanuts. Prefer they stay the course myself.

Draisatl isn't going to hit the market and teams would never trade for anyone if you always had to think about hypothetical future signings. It's not like you get a guarantee that either Drai or Marner would remotely have any interest in signing with your team (or Laine for that matter).

Besides, it's my understanding that even absorbing Laine's 8.7 for 2 years wouldn't block any future moves. We're set cap wise.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Draisatl isn't going to hit the market and teams would never trade for anyone if you always had to think about hypothetical future signings. It's not like you get a guarantee that either Drai or Marner would remotely have any interest in signing with your team (or Laine for that matter).

Besides, it's my understanding that even absorbing Laine's 8.7 for 2 years wouldn't block any future moves. We're set cap wise.
Not sure why posters would even talk Dri. NOT a chance in ever that he hits UFA... waste of typing

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
If he earns it, what's the problem? If he doesn't earn it, you let him go. That's the point: it is LOW-RISK. It's like a trial period.

Apply the same standards in your arguments:

Drai will be 29 when he's UFA, you want to give him a contract until he's a living mummy?
Marner and Rantanen will be 28, same age Laine will be, you want to give him a contract until he's retired?

Pro-Marner but anti-Laine, wow.

Guess what-- if Laine doesn't prove he's worth it, he doesn't get retained. Simple, isn't it.
Never understood the allure of signing 28+ yos to 8 year extensions.. unless said player is mcdavid or crosby why on earth do teams keep doing it? Im all for trading for that 35+ vet warrior for a cup run, otherwise it's less than 25% they ever live up to the contract. It's like this in almost every sport.. even Messi is playing in the MLS, think about that.
Pro athletes have an apex = around 26-28yo, you need them signed PRIOR to this age or you pay huge $ for them rendering your team capped out..

Right now, im taking Slaf over Drai 9 times out of 10. Drai gonna sign for $12M/yr.. = to Slaf AND Guhle..

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Never understood the allure of signing 28+ yos to 8 year extensions.. unless said player is mcdavid or crosby why on earth do teams keep doing it? Im all for trading for that 35+ vet warrior for a cup run, otherwise it's less than 25% they ever live up to the contract. It's like this in almost every sport.. even Messi is playing in the MLS, think about that.
Pro athletes have an apex = around 26-28yo, you need them signed PRIOR to this age or you pay huge $ for them rendering your team capped out..

Right now, im taking Slaf over Drai 9 times out of 10

If it's a defenseman or your team needs one other piece (like Vegas needing Eichel, though age/contract isn't the same situation), then it makes sense. For most other teams, I agree it doesn't. Like Calgary going for Huberdeau or Columbus with Gaudreau, those are the kind of signings we need to steer clear of. Draisaitl at 28 on a 7 year deal for this team is a no brainer however. He'd be a top player still for 4-5 years at least of those 7.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
If it's a defenseman or your team needs one other piece (like Vegas needing Eichel, though age/contract isn't the same situation), then it makes sense. For most other teams, I agree it doesn't. Like Calgary going for Huberdeau or Columbus with Gaudreau, those are the kind of signings we need to steer clear of. Draisaitl at 28 on a 7 year deal for this team is a no brainer however. He'd be a top player still for 4-5 years at least of those 7.
But at what cost? You signing him for $13.5M bc thats what itll take to pry him away from Edm

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
But at what cost? You signing him for $13.5M bc thats what itll take to pry him away from Edm

Oh, I don't think there's any chance at all of getting him out of Edmonton. The way Hughes has structured his cap, I think they could fit him at 13-14M. I could only imagine the carnage he could do with Slaf and Demidov.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I don’t want to sound insensitive. I lost my father in a motorcycle accident 3 years ago. I remember how I felt when and after it happened. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. But when it comes to business and your job, you have to keep going because the world goes on. And I’m not convinced Laine is capable of doing that given his history. Matt Murray was another guy who really fell off after his father passed. It affects different people in various ways. I’m not willing to take that risk to put somebody like that back together because I know there’s no one who will be able to help him until he’s truly ready, if he ever is.
You are not insensitive you are you , and not everyone the same . As I said before , happened to me , affected me a lot and while I was considered at the top of my field , my performance fell off considerable . I was aware life goes on , I was aware I have a huge team to lead but I still did not .
I got help and with time overcame that and I’m back to previous levels of performance.
All this to say we all different . And I for one would be willing to gamble on an elite goal scorer who is 26 who got help . And if it fails it’s 2 years . But scorers that are 26 and are available for little dont grow on trees

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

While I want laine cause the price is low ad believe he can rebound, if it’s a choice between him and Leon, draisaitl is not In The same stratosphere as laine.
Draisat is a player you add and you go for the cup

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Huberdeau was a mistake but it was the owners fault since he wouldn't allow a rebuild.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah except you'd be all but guaranteeing him not being much of a contributor this year, which granted is far from a certainty even now, but i'd rather just hope he finds a semblance of the game he had.

Perron or Sprong...it's just spending to spend.
No it's not, it's spending for goals

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
But why ? We won’t go far neither with rhp, pezz or abb, or perron or equivalent .
However if a young player or two or three , take the position and play well , a young team can go on a run.
Again failure to do so means a better pick and that could be the last time we get that
Aha! As I suspected, the impulse to avoid talented players, even third line talent, is rooted in the wish to draft high (tank) "just one more time". But it might not be, if losing becomes a habit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00