HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No I was using the same garbage argument you decided to use to make a point that one player means nothing if their team stinks.

Carey Price is a garbage player also because our teams couldn't score goals. Garbage goalie.
Yeah that’s what I said. Great reading comprehension.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
No I was using the same garbage argument you decided to use to make a point that one player means nothing if their team stinks.

Carey Price is a garbage player also because our teams couldn't score goals. Garbage goalie.
OP claim was weak ass!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
you know it!!!

let's see how it plays out. I wont loose my mind if KH passes on Laine. Just like to see him in CH red.
I think the arguments pro or con have run their natural course.
How many more repetitive pages will we get do you think? :laugh:

The Laine dossier presents more than one opportunity given how Hughes likes to weaponize his Cap.
It actually opens up a greater field for his services given how we can take on a contract.
So a contender up against the cap isn't necessarily out of the running...

I just know we want something going into 24/25 what that something is remains to be seen.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Funny how you didn’t post their record without him in the lineup, which was worse. At least put some effort in.

I mean he’s exactly that, so not sure what your argument is
You’re out of your depths here. He's had a 117 points in his last 129 games. You don’t know what you are talking about.

If he’s a reclamation project so is everyone on our team.

Reactions: Habby4Life

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You’re out of your depths here. He's had a 117 points in his last 129 games. You don’t know what you are talking about.

If he’s a reclamation project so is everyone on our team.
So why is he available if he’s the great player you claim he is?

Is it because he asked for a trade for a 2nd time by the age of 26? Massive red flag.

Is it because he’s always hurt? Massive red flag.

Is it because Columbus don’t think he makes their team better? Massive red flag

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Certainly doesn’t make it good either. None of the 3 players have done enough for us to be confident that they will perform over the course of a season. It’s clearly missing a player or two.
Yes we can't be confident that they will perform which makes it a gamble, it by no means makes them a putrid 2nd line like you've claimed. And let's face it even if we got a guy like Laine it would still be a gamble because Laine is himself a big gamble.

With the right player and the right cost to acquire I'd be all for adding a player, but there's also nothing wrong with giving that line the opportunity to see if they can perform because they most certainly have the potential to perform.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Yes we can't be confident that they will perform which makes it a gamble, it by no means makes them a putrid 2nd line like you've claimed. And let's face it even if we got a guy like Laine it would still be a gamble because Laine is himself a big gamble.

With the right player and the right cost to acquire I'd be all for adding a player, but there's also nothing wrong with giving that line the opportunity to see if they can perform because they most certainly have the potential to perform.
That line, based on their current track record Is putrid. If everything were to remain roughly what it’s always been then it isn’t a good line at all.

What is the gamble with Laine? That he might be a ppg like he’s nearly been for the last 120 games. Yeah, terrifying.

So why is he available if he’s the great player you claim he is?

Is it because he asked for a trade for a 2nd time by the age of 26? Massive red flag.

Is it because he’s always hurt? Massive red flag.

Is it because Columbus don’t think he makes their team better? Massive red flag
Keep grasping. How many times are you going to move the goal post? He like’s to eat chicken every 2nd Tuesday of the week. Massive red flag!!!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That line, based on their current track record Is putrid. If everything were to remain roughly what it’s always been then it isn’t a good line at all.

What is the gamble with Laine? That he might be a ppg like he’s nearly been for the last 120 games. Yeah, terrifying.
Maybe the fact he is never healthy. For such an elite goal scorer he hasn’t even hit 30 goals since 2018-19. Player assistance program. Has never been on a good team since the age of 19. Expensive. Lazy.

Lots of reasons.

BehindTheTimes is a perfect username for you because you seem to think the 2024-25 version of Laine is the same as the 2018-19 version.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Keep grasping. How many times are you going to move the goal post? He like’s to eat chicken every 2nd Tuesday of the week. Massive red flag!!!
If it stays roughly what they've been then we are talking about a line with two 50-60 point players and a 30 point one which is not putrid at all. And if you want to argue that Dach and Newhook are only 30 point players because of injuries then the same should apply to Laine, and the gamble is he plays less then 20 games and doesn't even hit 10 points which is what happened last season with him.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Maybe the fact he is never healthy. For such an elite goal scorer he hasn’t even hit 30 goals since 2018-19. Player assistance program. Has never been on a good team since the age of 19. Expensive. Lazy.

Lots of reasons.

BehindTheTimes is a perfect username for you because you seem to think the 2024-25 version of Laine is the same as the 2018-19 version.
You have seemed to missed Laine’s past 120 games. It’s ok, you’re not the only one.

If it stays roughly what they've been then we are talking about a line with two 50-60 point players and a 30 point one which is not putrid at all. And if you want to argue that Dach and Newhook are only 30 point players because of injuries then the same should apply to Laine, and the gamble is he plays less then 20 games and doesn't even hit 10 points which is what happened last season with him.
Laine has put up more points in 50 game seasons than anyone on that line ever has at any point in their career. You’re not making sense. The world where Newhook and Roy are better producers than Laine doesn’t exist. There’s a good chance it will never exist. This is only a reality on Habs hfboards.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You have seemed to missed Laine’s past 120 games. It’s ok, you’re not the only one.

Laine has put up more points in 50 game seasons than anyone on that line ever has at any point in their career. You’re not making sense. The world where Newhook and Roy are better producers than Laine doesn’t exist. There’s a good chance it will never exist. This is only a reality on Habs hfboards.
Of course he has. That line has hardly had a chance to play together yet. There is no basis for comparison.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Newhook and Dach have played well when healthy. There’s no reason to believe they can’t handle second line duties. Roy is raw and a bit of a wildcard. It’s not the best second line in the league but far from the worst. It’s health that’s going to matter.

Totally fine to want to see the team improve and I get people wanting to speed things along. But the fact is we are not there yet and it’s going to take a while whether we add someone or not.

As for Laine… I don’t know. Not what I’d do but he could absolutely come in and do well. I just think he’s too risky and expensive. It feels to me like a ‘let’s do it for the sake of it so we eat up some of this extra cap space we’ve got.’

I don’t think the point made by @DAChampion a while back that our depth needs more scoring this year is unfounded either. As much as I’m fine with the top six there will be injuries and it’d be nice to have someone back there to bring in.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

In the past 4 years Laine has twice put up seasons where he's produced at about 0.5ppg, and twice he's put up ppg or near ppg numbers. So yes he's very much a gamble and not just because he might only play 50 games, we could get another 2020-2021 season of 24 points in 46 games.

And the world where Newhook was a better producer then Laine was last season.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
I failed to see any improvement on Barron’s ability to read the ice last season. He just doesn’t seem to think that way. It’s easier to teach muscle memory for one on one challenges but in open ice without pressure he routinely makes the wrong decision that often sends the play going the other way. Size and skating are nice yes but vision is somewhat of a prerequisite.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In the past 4 years Laine has twice put up seasons where he's produced at about 0.5ppg, and twice he's put up ppg or near ppg numbers. So yes he's very much a gamble and not just because he might only play 50 games, we could get another 2020-2021 season of 24 points in 46 games.

And the world where Newhook was a better producer then Laine was last season.
Laine also makes 8 million a year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I failed to see any improvement on Barron’s ability to read the ice last season. He just doesn’t seem to think that way. It’s easier to teach muscle memory for one on one challenges but in open ice without pressure he routinely makes the wrong decision that often sends the play going the other way. Size and skating are nice yes but vision is somewhat of a prerequisite.
He’s so young though. We owe it to ourselves to see what he can do this year. It’s an eval year on a lot of players.

That’s another reason I wouldn’t be in such a hurry to do something. If say, Dach can’t stay healthy then we’ll have a hole in the lineup that needs fixing. Can Barron and Roy handle the load? If not, re-evaluate and build accordingly.

There’s no rush.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
As for Laine… I don’t know. Not what I’d do but he could absolutely come in and do well. I just think he’s too risky and expensive. It feels to me like a ‘let’s do it for the sake of it so we eat up some of this extra cap space we’ve got.
Laine has risks but the real question is how expensive he is to acquire? I'd take the gamble on him if he can be had on the cheap, but I imagine every poster here has a different view on what it would actually cost.

In terms of cap, yes he's expensive in a general sense but even if we take the full salary and don't send any cap back we are in a good enough position cap wise after this year that he doesn't prevent us from going after a big name UFA or making a big trade so the downside of him being expensive is negligible.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine has risks but the real question is how expensive he is to acquire? I'd take the gamble on him if he can be had on the cheap, but I imagine every poster here has a different view on what it would actually cost.
I add him if he’s a dump. But real assets? I don’t think so.
In terms of cap, yes he's expensive in a general sense but even if we take the full salary and don't send any cap back we are in a good enough position cap wise after this year that he doesn't prevent us from going after a big name UFA or making a big trade so the downside of him being expensive is negligible.
Yeah we can do it. But that doesn’t mean we should.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013

This is the downside:

He’s so young though. We owe it to ourselves to see what he can do this year. It’s an eval year on a lot of players.

That’s another reason I wouldn’t be in such a hurry to do something. If say, Dach can’t stay healthy then we’ll have a hole in the lineup that needs fixing. Can Barron and Roy handle the load? If not, re-evaluate and build accordingly.

There’s no rush.

Who would you and MSL like to kick off the PP then?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I add him if he’s a dump. But real assets? I don’t think so.

Yeah we can do it. But that doesn’t mean we should.
Whether we should or not depends so much on having an actual conversation with him to get a sense of whether MTL is a good fit off the ice for him or not. My gut instinct is that it would be a fit because I think the in room presence of Caufield and the joy and optimism he brings would be good for Laine.

Now in terms of assets, like I said I would want him on the cheap but that's different for everybody. I don't need it to be as cheap as a cap dump where it's a late pick or future considerations. But is Harris a "real asset" that we would say no to including, what about Mesar? I'd have no problems with either or even both being included in a deal.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
This is the downside:

Who would you and MSL like to kick off the PP then?
We'd actually be able to use our second unit and not just throw them out there as fodder for 20 seconds.

Nick, Slaf, Cole, Laine, and Matheson.

Second line:

Newhook, Roy, Hutson, Dach, whoever.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: