HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Yeah, that's what YOU want to do. You have no skin in the game. You're a fan on a prospects board, we get excited about that stuff here.

Guys who do this for a living, have finite careers, and hate to lose don't exactly want to hear "you guys are on your own. We're going to keep sucking so we can get a guy who will have a real impact in 3-5 years."

I'd say stay the course as well if there wasn't so much messaging from both players (and yes, Hughes) on not wanting to keep losing, or that they hate losing, at the end of this season. It was a common theme, the reason a lot of us thought we were in on guys like Necas and Zegras (and probably why Hughes offered a contract to JM as well). It's great vibes in the room right now because everyone's fresh, young, and hungry. Too much losing after a while extinguishes that really quick.
But it's also more true as to what Hughes has said recently about the current state of the team. They're not going to rush this, and will only add if it falls inline with their long-term plan. And if it doesn't, continue the rebuild. I'm not against adding a veteran if it doesn't disrupt anything and actually does speed things up, but I don't see, because of reasons I've outlined multiple times, I Laine is that piece, and would prefer to not acquire him.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
But it's also more true as to what Hughes has said recently about the current state of the team. They're not going to rush this, and will only add if it falls inline with their long-term plan. And if it doesn't, continue the rebuild. I'm not against adding a veteran if it doesn't disrupt anything and actually does speed things up, but I don't see, because of reasons I've outlined multiple times, I don't believe Laine is that piece, and would prefer to not acquire him.
The quote you posted said they wouldn't sign a veteran UFA who would block young guys' ice time. That makes total sense, and that's not a spot we're in. Acquiring Laine wouldn't be that.

Who is Laine going to block for the two years he's here? Demidov comes next year but there's no guarantee he's thrown into the fire on the top 6 right away. Roy is a good player but is just getting his feet wet in the NHL, let alone in a top 6.

You don't like Laine as a player, fine. But the move to get him isn't one that's attempting to "rush" the rebuild or disrupts the plan. It gives the guys some help for this year, helps them stay competitive and play some meaningful gamers longer (ideally).

This is all context based, obviously. If we're trading Reinbacher/Mailloux/Hage/Beck/ someone substantial to get him, that's a different talk altogether.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Anderson would be in the lineup even if Perron is there too. And Roy could still be in the middle six. RHP, Pez, Barré-Boulet and Gignac, not so much.
Yeah except you'd be all but guaranteeing him not being much of a contributor this year, which granted is far from a certainty even now, but i'd rather just hope he finds a semblance of the game he had.

Perron or Sprong...it's just spending to spend.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and Andy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That was the Bergevin way. I feel like Hughes is waiting to take advantage of cap strapped teams closer to camp starting like he did with Monahan and to lesser extent Pearson last year. Unless you are a small market team that needs to save $ due to uncertain ticket sales, there is no reason to not use all the cap space. It is only making moves to make moves if it is done without strategy/planning. Hopefully Hughes continues they way he's been going vs following the Bergevin wasting ways.
Well that's kind of what i'm saying...there's really no point in using the cap space to sign a Perron when you can weaponize that cap space in more effective ways.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Where is our friend Swifty?
We need an all encompassing Laine thread to while away the dog days of August.
It may also allow for other proposals to start filtering back in to this thread. :popcorn:

My guess is we land a player no one has mentioned yet.

Reactions: sampollock

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
The quote you posted said they wouldn't sign a veteran UFA who would block young guys' ice time. That makes total sense, and that's not a spot we're in. Acquiring Laine wouldn't be that.

Who is Laine going to block for the two years he's here? Demidov comes next year but there's no guarantee he's thrown into the fire on the top 6 right away. Roy is a good player but is just getting his feet wet in the NHL, let alone in a top 6.

You don't like Laine as a player, fine. But the move to get him isn't one that's attempting to "rush" the rebuild or disrupts the plan. It gives the guys some help for this year, helps them stay competitive and play some meaningful gamers longer (ideally).

This is all context based, obviously. If we're trading Reinbacher/Mailloux/Hage/Beck/ someone substantial to get him, that's a different talk altogether.
Yes, that is ONE of the reasons why he wouldn't want to add a piece like Laine if he felt that way, but we'd be foolish to think it's the ONLY one.

So if he adds goals, but allows more goals than he scores, how does that help us? I'm not convinced he would help us in the standings. Nor do I think he is the type of player that I want mentoring our young players.

And if Laine is to play on the PP who gets moved off of PP1?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Certainly doesn’t make it good either. None of the 3 players have done enough for us to be confident that they will perform over the course of a season. It’s clearly missing a player or two.
So your solution is to trade for a reclamation project that is on a two year deal? Wouldn’t it just be better to see how it plays out and if they are shit, draft a high end talent like Martone, McQueen or Ryabkin and control that player for 10+ years?

Reactions: Rapala and junyab

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yes, that is ONE of the reasons why he wouldn't want to add a piece like Laine if he felt that way, but we'd be foolish to think it's the ONLY one.

So if he adds goals, but allows more goals than he scores, how does that help us? I'm not convinced he would help us in the standings. Nor do I think he is the type of player that I want mentoring our young players.

Eh, that's actually one of the reasons why he would want to add a piece like Laine. Adding a player who has upside by weaponizing cap space (being able to acquire a player that others can't because of cap considerations is a form of weaponizing cap space.

We're no longer in the flat cap era. There are 7-9 teams with significant cap space and no notable RFAs to sign.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Top talent would be nice. Of course.

At the same time, having RHP, Pez and ABB as the 11th, 12th and 13th forwards (with Gignac as first callup) is not ideal. We can still use a 3rd liner, push Anderson or Gallagher to the 4th, and the minor leaguers to the press box or Laval. And we can use this player even if one of Heineman, Kapanen or Beck makes the team out of camp.
But why ? We won’t go far neither with rhp, pezz or abb, or perron or equivalent .
However if a young player or two or three , take the position and play well , a young team can go on a run.
Again failure to do so means a better pick and that could be the last time we get that

In 2022-23 the Blue Jackets were

15-34-6 with Patrik Laine in the lineup
10-14-3 without him in the lineup

What an incredible player
Kid went through a huge loss . Not all humains react the same to grief . Obviosuly laine has and still has a hard time either it , considering he went onto the program for exactly that reason

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah, cause it’s all on him, since they had that incredible lineup.
Here he is, I knew he couldn’t help himself but respond to me. Obsessed.

Kid went through a huge loss . Not all humains react the same to grief . Obviosuly laine has and still has a hard time either it , considering he went onto the program for exactly that reason
Okay? He was near a PPG while playing and the team was still significantly worse with him in the lineup.

• Haha
Reactions: Habby4Life

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Here he is, I knew he couldn’t help himself but respond to me. Obsessed.

Okay? He was near a PPG while playing and the team was still significantly worse with him in the lineup.
The Chicago Blackhawks have a record of 20-43-5 with Connor Bedard in the lineup.

This means that Bedard is garbage and no one should acquire him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
that's been my point.
if Laine scores 20/30 goals , is that not a big help for the habs?
Why would we give up assets for a 20-30 goalscorer who doesn't contribute in other parts of the game while carrying an 8.7x2 cap hit? Yes he's had some awesome goalscoring seasons, but there isn't any certainty that he scores over 30 goals, especially when he's not dependable to play most of the season.

There is zero need for Columbus to dump him for nothing and they won't get anything worthwhile (or even anything at all) without taking back a bad contract and/or retaining. I expect him to stay there for a bit unless a team gets desperate.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
But why ? We won’t go far neither with rhp, pezz or abb, or perron or equivalent .
However if a young player or two or three , take the position and play well , a young team can go on a run.
Again failure to do so means a better pick and that could be the last time we get that

I don’t want to sound insensitive. I lost my father in a motorcycle accident 3 years ago. I remember how I felt when and after it happened. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. But when it comes to business and your job, you have to keep going because the world goes on. And I’m not convinced Laine is capable of doing that given his history. Matt Murray was another guy who really fell off after his father passed. It affects different people in various ways. I’m not willing to take that risk to put somebody like that back together because I know there’s no one who will be able to help him until he’s truly ready, if he ever is.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So your solution is to trade for a reclamation project that is on a two year deal? Wouldn’t it just be better to see how it plays out and if they are shit, draft a high end talent like Martone, McQueen or Ryabkin and control that player for 10+ years?
Laine, the reclamation project. Arguments have gotten pretty weak in these parts.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Chicago Blackhawks have a record of 20-43-5 with Connor Bedard in the lineup.

This means that Bedard is garbage and no one should acquire him.
Funny how you didn’t post their record without him in the lineup, which was worse. At least put some effort in.

Laine, the reclamation project. Arguments have gotten pretty weak in these parts.
I mean he’s exactly that, so not sure what your argument is

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It was a reply to something similar he said about Laine......
Yeah and he’s saying it’s unfair to compare a rookie to a player in Year 8 like Laine

Year 8 and he still doesn’t make teams better. Woof

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The strongest argument remains what it was from the very outset.
Laine does not project the profile of the type of player we covet.
At least not on the surface...
But like Michkov we do have an inside track and we should trust it one way or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy and junyab

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Yeah and he’s saying it’s unfair to compare a rookie to a player in Year 8 like Laine

Year 8 and he still doesn’t make teams better. Woof
No I was using the same garbage argument you decided to use to make a point that one player means nothing if their team stinks.

Carey Price is a garbage player also because our teams couldn't score goals. Garbage goalie.

• Haha
Reactions: le_sean

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium