HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You
Or people just weren't paying attention. I didn't even think about the covid factor.

And I don't think it really matters. Even if he played almost a full season last year, he's still coming off shoulder surgery. That alone is enough to wonder about what you're getting here. Look what happened to Caufield last year.
wrote the caufield didn’t score 40 because of his shoulder surgery. It’s not surprising to see you continuing to double down on this lol.

Reactions: Habby4Life

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There's no obligation or requirement for a team to spend up to its available cap space, just because they have it.

I don't get the correlation to be honest...2 years of Perron or 1 year of Sprong is the same as giving Anderson another shot or giving Joshua Roy a legit opportunity to make the team.

If filling up cap space = making moves to make moves, i'd rather hold onto that cap space personally.
Anderson would be in the lineup even if Perron is there too. And Roy could still be in the middle six. RHP, Pez, Barré-Boulet and Gignac, not so much.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
There's no obligation or requirement for a team to spend up to its available cap space, just because they have it.

I don't get the correlation to be honest...2 years of Perron or 1 year of Sprong is the same as giving Anderson another shot or giving Joshua Roy a legit opportunity to make the team.

If filling up cap space = making moves to make moves, i'd rather hold onto that cap space personally.

That was the Bergevin way. I feel like Hughes is waiting to take advantage of cap strapped teams closer to camp starting like he did with Monahan and to lesser extent Pearson last year. Unless you are a small market team that needs to save $ due to uncertain ticket sales, there is no reason to not use all the cap space. It is only making moves to make moves if it is done without strategy/planning. Hopefully Hughes continues they way he's been going vs following the Bergevin wasting ways.

Reactions: BLONG7

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Lol you're killing me.

Yes they're both still young. My point was he added young players who helped the team improve right way. Instead of waiting 2 or 3 years for the players we would have drafted. To become NHL ready. Also I never said rush, I said he sped up the rebuilding process.

I don't know what else to tell you. Adding Dach and Newhook, plus HuGo letting it be known that they're interested in adding a top 6 forward. Shows me that they're not willing to let the rebuild move organically. They are looking to make moves to speed up the process.

Yes, but some posters here wouldn't know a rebuild. If it jumped up and bit them on the ass. ;)
But this is not what Hughes has stated publicly. I believe his most recent comments were he recognizes that they're still in a rebuild but if there is a move that works and speeds it up then he would consider it, but not at the expense of developing our youth.

“We won’t do something for a short term gain at the expense of our long term plan. If we commit too long into the future to a [free agent] & end up blocking a young player from moving their way up then we’re doing a disservice to what we’re trying to accomplish.” - Kent Hughes today​

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If Hughes lands Laine it will be a fleece operation. Hughes won't overpay
With Pascal Vincent in the fold we have a great window into what makes Laine tick as a person and as a player.
Hughes has shown a great sense of valuation and has been very specific in his types of acquisitions thus far.
I've been adamant all along that I don't see a great fit but I guess we will find out soon enough.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if his view of the player's worth is not quite as rose colored as many here seem to think.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Even if this is true… so what?

We get a top five pick.

Those three years aren’t wasted. By then most of the team still won’t even be in its prime yet.

Why now? We’re not contenders. Still super young. A top six addition likely doesn’t get us to the playoffs anyway.

If we draft top five next year it just assures us of an even stronger team down the road.
You seem to think you go from rebuilding to contender in one motion. It doesn’t work that way, you need to add pieces as the talent grows.

No GM shoukd be going into a season with capspace and 3 question marks on their second line. You can project these players however you want, for one reason or another they have never done it yet.

Laine pushes everyone down a spot. I actually think we are possibly a playoff team with Laine, gradual improvement and winning games is good for development. Losing all the time is not good for development. It has long term consequences and partly why you see some teams rebuilding forever.

Los

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Obviously it's not a hard limit. Perhaps I wasn't clear. My point is that Suzuki is our best player. Until someone steps out beyond him, his cap hit will be our limit. I hope Demidov becomes a 10 million dollar player.

If we somehow snag Laine, when his two years left is up, and if he doesn't eclipse Suzuki, he should be prepared to take a pay cut or we let him walk. Ideally he comes in and earns a 7 to 8 year contract with us around the Suzuki mark.

100% agree

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Newhook wasn’t injured, but has he lived up to his draft spot just yet?

Actually yes. The Hockey Guy had Newhook RISING above his draft rank in the re-draft he did LAST summer, before his best season. Anyone can go take a look.

To date, Newhook is 8th in ppg from his draft year.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
With Pascal Vincent in the fold we have a great window into what makes Laine tick as a person and as a player.
Hughes has shown a great sense of valuation and has been very specific in his types of acquisitions thus far.
I've been adamant all along that I don't see a great fit but I guess we will find out soon enough.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if his view of the player's worth is not quite as rose colored as many here seem to think.
I mean Pascal Vincent was also an objectively terrible coach at the NHL level in Columbus last year so his opinion on the matter doesn't really mean anything to me.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I disagree. I think most people here that are against acquiring him, like me, identify other issues. He's weak defensively, often plays selfishly, injury prone, and somehow every team that's had him is happy to move on from him. He's not good enough to propel us into a playoff spot so why try and improve just slightly? I'd rather not get him, stay the course, develop our youth, get another high pick, and when our youth is ready to contend then add an outside asset.
But if he is that bad as you say, it means we will get an even better pick in the next draft. Maybe that's what HuGo secretly want.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You seem to think you go from rebuilding to contender in one motion. It doesn’t work that way, you need to add pieces as the talent grows.
Sure. I don’t disagree. But it doesn’t have to happen now. If it does that’s fine, but the imperative does not exist.
No GM shoukd be going into a season with capspace and 3 question marks on their second line. You can project these players however you want, for one reason or another they have never done it yet.
Depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. If you’re rebuilding then I have no issue with it. Development is paramount at this stage.
Laine pushes everyone down a spot. I actually think we are possibly a playoff team with Laine, gradual improvement and winning games is good for development. Losing all the time is not good for development. It has long term consequences and partly why you see some teams rebuilding forever.
Teams rebuild forever when they make stupid moves for expensive players and don’t follow through on the rebuilds. Pushing down players you’ve drafted only stunts their development.

Not saying that’s the case with Laine but it could be. They need to proceed with caution.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
But this is not what Hughes has stated publicly. I believe his most recent comments were he recognizes that they're still in a rebuild but if there is a move that works and speeds it up then he would consider it, but not at the expense of developing our youth.

“We won’t do something for a short term gain at the expense of our long term plan. If we commit too long into the future to a [free agent] & end up blocking a young player from moving their way up then we’re doing a disservice to what we’re trying to accomplish.” - Kent Hughes today​

Adding both Dach and Newhook did help speed up the rebuild. Without blocking the development of our youth.

HuGo is also rumoured to have looked into Marchessault. A move that would have also sped up the rebuild. So either he's changed his mind. Or he feels that no young players would have been blocked, if he had obtained him.

Also our original discussion was I felt that obtaining Dach and Newhook were moves to help speed up the rebuilding process. You disagree, I think it's time to end this discussion.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I disagree. I think most people here that are against acquiring him, like me, identify other issues. He's weak defensively, often plays selfishly, injury prone, and somehow every team that's had him is happy to move on from him. He's not good enough to propel us into a playoff spot so why try and improve just slightly? I'd rather not get him, stay the course, develop our youth, get another high pick, and when our youth is ready to contend then add an outside asset.
and nostrils is great defensively? big goal men sometimes are not

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Yeah, that's what YOU want to do. You have no skin in the game. You're a fan on a prospects board, we get excited about that stuff here.

Guys who do this for a living, have finite careers, and hate to lose don't exactly want to hear "you guys are on your own. We're going to keep sucking so we can get a guy who will have a real impact in 3-5 years."

I'd say stay the course as well if there wasn't so much messaging from both players (and yes, Hughes) on not wanting to keep losing, or that they hate losing, at the end of this season. It was a common theme, the reason a lot of us thought we were in on guys like Necas and Zegras (and probably why Hughes offered a contract to JM as well). It's great vibes in the room right now because everyone's fresh, young, and hungry. Too much losing after a while extinguishes that really quick.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Nostrils isn’t great defensively, and he also isn’t great offensively when it matters
yes
but Laine will be a 2nd line guy and pp for habs
a 30 goal man

nostrils is a 60 goal man and 1st line

same to me, can't have every guy play defense.
CC is not good defense either. but he scores

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I was thinking that if Malkin does retire after next season, would that mean Crosby would be more likely to also change scenery? Or is he comfortable playing his last years in a hopeless bottom feeder as everything around him collapses?

Would be cool to see Crosby and Letang join forces in Montreal. Crosby signs as UFA, Letang traded with 50% retained. Spend their last years in Montreal as old guys trying to win the Cup supplementing the young core.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
But if he is that bad as you say, it means we will get an even better pick in the next draft. Maybe that's what HuGo secretly want.
No that doesn't make sense we know they made an offer for the veteran from Cap Rouge.
Fit is critical in Kent's mind someone the younger players can look up to for guidance.
So while Laine's term is not an issue his experience is no where close to being as polished as Marchessault's.
It's hard to claim being part of a close knit group all rowing in the same direction has been prevalent in Laine's repertoire.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabbyGuy and junyab

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium