HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I personally think Laine would be a great gamble if the price is right. He only has 2 years left on his contract, and if he does well and earns a raise then that's a good thing. If he doesn't, it's not a huge commitment, and he could certainly be traded at the deadline next year if needed. It's a risk that's worth taking (again, if the price to trade for him makes sense).

The Habs need players to play int he top six. I don't want to go another season with seeing guys like Armia, Gallagher, Anderson, etc. playing in the top six when we're trying to improve as a team.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
If they do nothing and stay the course this year we will be bottom 5.

So next summer is when KH is supposed to add a veteran presence to the D (Savard gone), and a top 6, solidify the 3rd line etc, or am I to assume this will just happen on its own via all the prospects we have, lol. Shit they will have a ton of rookies in the lineup.

If he doesn’t go out and use the assets via trade and use FA to acquire said players they won’t make the playoffs in yr 5 either.

You have to supplement the young core with NHL proven guys who produce.
I answered this in one of my previous posts. Yet I can't remember which one lol

I think if we had both Dach and Newhook healthy last season. The odds of us finishing in the bottom 5 like we did, are very slim. Since *knock on wood* both players should be healthy to start the year. Throw in a full year of Roy, and hopefully the improvement of some of our other young players. That's already an step up over last season.

That's possible. Or if Savard's play doesn't fall off a cliff this season. They may sign him to a cheaper contract. To help babysit the kids on D. Either way, I believe a veteran D will be added.

That's too far in the future for me to comprehend lol I guess a lot of that will depend on how some of our younger players develop this season. We also have Demidov coming next year.

Five years from now might be extreme. But I believe it will take longer, if we don't add a top 6 player.

I agree with the last bolded part.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
laine would be the biggest add to the team since Kovalev. With his cap, term and talent, I really don't see why anyone wouldn't want him.

The only issue is what he'll cost, but by most accounts, it doesn't seem like it would be a high price for a player of his caliber.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Adding Dach, Newhook, talking about adding a top 6 forward. (Things that GM's do to speed up a rebuild)
They added Dach and Newhook as reclamation projects not to mention they’re both, like what, 21 and somewhat unproven still. That’s totally different from the point you’re trying to make. He’s not speeding up the rebuild, he’s adding pieces that will be part of the rebuild (for the future). Also, he recognized the shallow pool he had when he took over and found a way to add depth by making those deals.

Reactions: sampollock

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Absolutely no f***ing downside at all.
and yet many here are so worried of his mental state.
give the guy a chance

laine would be the biggest add to the team since Kovalev. With his cap, term and talent, I really don't see why anyone wouldn't want him.

The only issue is what he'll cost, but by most accounts, it doesn't seem like it would be a high price for a player of his caliber.
go get him KH

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They added Dach and Newhook as reclamation projects not to mention they’re both, like what, 21 and somewhat unproven still. That’s totally different from the point you’re trying to make. He’s not speeding up the rebuild, he’s adding pieces that will be part of the rebuild (for the future). Also, he recognized the shallow pool he had when he took over and found a way to add depth by making those deals.

Calling players who had previously been penciled in as potential impact players "reclamation projects" after their D+3/D+4 seasons is peak HFBoards.

Reactions: dinodebino

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Perron is 10 years older than Laine and is at the end of his career. The comparison is silly that I dont even feel like addressing it more than that.
And significantly smaller, hmmmm how could a 6’5” top-6 F w elite shot, 0.8 PPG career, and willingness to win board / corner puck battles possibly help the Habs?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I answered this in one of my previous posts. Yet I can't remember which one lol

I think if we had both Dach and Newhook healthy last season. The odds of us finishing in the bottom 5 like we did, are very slim. Since *knock on wood* both players should be healthy to start the year. Throw in a full year of Roy, and hopefully the improvement of some of our other young players. That's already an step up over last season.

That's possible. Or if Savard's play doesn't fall off a cliff this season. They may sign him to a cheaper contract. To help babysit the kids on D. Either way, I believe a veteran D will be added.

That's too far in the future for me to comprehend lol I guess a lot of that will depend on how some of our younger players develop this season. We also have Demidov coming next year.

Five years from now might be extreme. But I believe it will take longer, if we don't add a top 6 player.

I agree with the last bolded part.
Health, experience and young guys steadily improving equals higher than bottom 5. If those things go right, I see finishing around 10-12. It’s really not a huge difference in points. It would’ve been like, 5-8 more points last year to jump that much. That’s completely doable.

Calling players who had previously been penciled in as potential impact players "reclamation projects" after their D+3/D+4 seasons is peak HFBoards.
Yes but injuries derailed the “potential impact” did they not? If they were seen as so valuable, then why did their teams trade them? I’m not sure why this is surprising to you. They’ve been called reclamation projects ever since they arrived.

Reactions: Benstheman

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Yes but injuries derailed the “potential impact” did they not? If they were seen as so valuable, then why did their teams trade them? I’m not sure why this is surprising to you. They’ve been called reclamation projects ever since they arrived.

I think its very self-evident why:

-A team which intended to execute a real tank (not what some fans are calling what Montreal has done) and got a top-15 pick traded Dach.
-A win-now team that desperately needed middle-6 center depth, couldn't count on a 22 year old to do that, and got picks to rebuild a barren prospect pool.

would trade guys like that without categorizing them as a distressed asset which needs to be reclaimed. Especially since, you know, Newhook has almost no injury history with Colorado.

Is the argument that if Hutson gets injured next season he would become a "reclamation project"?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I'd still prefer going harder after Necas or Zegras personally, but if the price is good I think the gamble on Laine could pay off.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Sorry I disagree. I think he did both. He added players who yes were reclamation projects. They were also older (than the players we would have drafted), more advanced, and ready to be inserted into the line up, right away. If both Dach and Newhook were sent to Laval, I'd agree with you. Both landed straight in Montreal, to help improve the Habs right away.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Health, experience and young guys steadily improving equals higher than bottom 5. If those things go right, I see finishing around 10-12. It’s really not a huge difference in points. It would’ve been like, 5-8 more points last year to jump that much. That’s completely doable.
No arguements here. If we had a fully healthy Dach and Newhook last year. I've already said I don't think we would have finished in the bottom 5. If they're both healthy, I can definitely see them moving up in the standing by 5 or more spots.

Reactions: Runner77

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I think its very self-evident why:

-A team which intended to execute a real tank (not what some fans are calling what Montreal has done) and got a top-15 pick traded Dach.
-A win-now team that desperately needed middle-6 center depth, couldn't count on a 22 year old to do that, and got picks to rebuild a barren prospect pool.

would trade guys like that without categorizing them as a distressed asset which needs to be reclaimed. Especially since, you know, Newhook has almost no injury history with Colorado.

Is the argument that if Hutson gets injured next season he would become a "reclamation project"?
Hutson doesn’t have the same injury history that Dach does, so no. Ok, Newhook wasn’t injured, but has he lived up to his draft spot just yet? Again, if he was producing in Colorado, they wouldn’t have dealt him for such a low return. Chicago was intentionally tanking and rebuilding, but yet they moved out a young centre man who could’ve been part of their rebuild. He has a long history of injuries and also hasn’t had a chance to live up to his draft position, so I think he’s very much a reclamation project. Even broadcasters and journalists call these guys by that title.
As for Chicago doing a proper rebuild and Montreal not? I don’t even know how to address that. There’s no logic there.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Sorry I disagree. I think he did both. He added players who yes were reclamation projects. They were also older (than the players we would have drafted), more advanced, and ready to be inserted into the line up, right away. If both Dach and Newhook were sent to Laval, I'd agree with you. Both landed straight in Montreal, to help improve the Habs right away.
Theses guys are still incredibly young. Sure they helped the team improve (no one could really foresee the injuries of course) but it’s not like Hughes is rushing anything by acquiring them which I believe the OP was trying to say. You rush a rebuild by bringing in a Necas from day one. That’s really my point. He’s not rushing anything. He’s actually moving slow for some posters here!

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Hutson doesn’t have the same injury history that Dach does, so no. Ok, Newhook wasn’t injured, but has he lived up to his draft spot just yet? Again, if he was producing in Colorado, they wouldn’t have dealt him for such a low return. Chicago was intentionally tanking and rebuilding, but yet they moved out a young centre man who could’ve been part of their rebuild. He has a long history of injuries and also hasn’t had a chance to live up to his draft position, so I think he’s very much a reclamation project. Even broadcasters and journalists call these guys by that title.
As for Chicago doing a proper rebuild and Montreal not? I don’t even know how to address that. There’s no logic there.

Ok, so if Hutson isn't what he's been hyped to be next season, would he be categorized as a reclamation project?

When I say peak HFBoards, its the idea that young players are finished projects in their early 20s. Florida literally just won a cup in large part because they targeted guys like that for years.

And maybe don't address it because a proper rebuild =/= a real tank. You can do a proper rebuild without tanking, but tanking requires actively gutting your roster (and not just trading vets and rentals), which Montreal has never done.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If Hughes lands Laine it will be a fleece operation. Hughes won't overpay
Yes. He isn't going to overpay at this point. At the point he feels that a certain player is the missing piece he lwill if he has to. He will offer a fair deal but for assets he is willing to part with.

Reactions: Tyson

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
We are building a team with Suzuki as our cap limit.

No.

He just used it as a threshold when committing with players for 8 years out of their ELC.

In another situation, example we acquire a 26YO with 1 year left on his deal who we want to extend, the negotiations won't be capped at Suzuki AAV. It would be absolutely shortsighted to lose a player because of this.

We heard it last year when rumoured for Dubois that he would have to accept the Suzuki deal. The very important variable tho is that he don't negotiate under the same parameter as Suzuki and this is only on those parameter that he capped it.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
No.

He just used it as a threshold when committing with players for 8 years out of their ELC.

In another situation, example we acquire a 26YO with 1 year left on his deal who we want to extend, the negotiations won't be capped at Suzuki AAV. It would be absolutely shortsighted to lose a player because of this.

We heard it last year when rumoured for Dubois that he would have to accept the Suzuki deal. The very important variable tho is that he don't negotiate under the same parameter as Suzuki and this is only on those parameter that he capped it.
Obviously it's not a hard limit. Perhaps I wasn't clear. My point is that Suzuki is our best player. Until someone steps out beyond him, his cap hit will be our limit. I hope Demidov becomes a 10 million dollar player.

If we somehow snag Laine, when his two years left is up, and if he doesn't eclipse Suzuki, he should be prepared to take a pay cut or we let him walk. Ideally he comes in and earns a 7 to 8 year contract with us around the Suzuki mark.

Reactions: Jaynki

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Laine is coming off shoulder surgery…

Why would you dismiss Caufield and then ignore the same thing with Laine?

I think Caufield has a better chance of hitting 40 than Laine does.
Nothing wrong with having 2 40 goal scorers. Laine doesn’t block anyone imo. Roy isn’t a top 6 player right out of the box. Two years is a perfect stop gap while Roy grows his game.

Why are we allergic to talented players in Montreal?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think David Perron is exactly the type of players we don’t need now.
We need a top talent or better give the young players more room and get a better pick
Top talent would be nice. Of course.

At the same time, having RHP, Pez and ABB as the 11th, 12th and 13th forwards (with Gignac as first callup) is not ideal. We can still use a 3rd liner, push Anderson or Gallagher to the 4th, and the minor leaguers to the press box or Laval. And we can use this player even if one of Heineman, Kapanen or Beck makes the team out of camp.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
and yet many here are so worried of his mental state.
give the guy a chance

go get him KH

I disagree. I think most people here that are against acquiring him, like me, identify other issues. He's weak defensively, often plays selfishly, injury prone, and somehow every team that's had him is happy to move on from him. He's not good enough to propel us into a playoff spot so why try and improve just slightly? I'd rather not get him, stay the course, develop our youth, get another high pick, and when our youth is ready to contend then add an outside asset.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Theses guys are still incredibly young. Sure they helped the team improve (no one could really foresee the injuries of course) but it’s not like Hughes is rushing anything by acquiring them which I believe the OP was trying to say. You rush a rebuild by bringing in a Necas from day one. That’s really my point. He’s not rushing anything. He’s actually moving slow for some posters here!
Lol you're killing me.

Yes they're both still young. My point was he added young players who helped the team improve right way. Instead of waiting 2 or 3 years for the players we would have drafted. To become NHL ready. Also I never said rush, I said he sped up the rebuilding process.

I don't know what else to tell you. Adding Dach and Newhook, plus HuGo letting it be known that they're interested in adding a top 6 forward. Shows me that they're not willing to let the rebuild move organically. They are looking to make moves to speed up the process.

Yes, but some posters here wouldn't know a rebuild. If it jumped up and bit them on the ass. ;)

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1